Author Topic: pinion angle problem on my 88 4runner SAS project  (Read 13816 times)

Dingman.

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1125
  • Male Posts: 3,448
  • Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
Another thing to consider eveyone..

Is even if that ifs style will work at ride height.. when you drop out it may bind and cause it to break..

Ask me how i know..

OOPS

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1304
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
In order to use an IFS CV you have to clearance it, I found this out 13 years ago when I did the SAS on my rig. Also at the time there were no kits you bought everything piece by piece and the only shop that I knew that were doing them on the west coast was All-Pro and Marlins. I was in uncharted waters in Roseville, CA. I talked to A-P almost everyday as I did it. Jon suggested I clearance the CV or get an 79-85 CV. After I did that I still had a bind on full droop on the PS. Called Jon and the first thing he asked me was how long were my shackles. I told him 6" on center. He told me to drill them 4.5 on center, which is 1" longer then stock. I did that and never had a problem after that. It moved my pinion up 8-9 degrees and the caster is just about dead on stock specs.

P.S. You guys have cheap prices on parts to day, my first Hy-Steer ran almost $800.00 from, and it was the second kit he ever sold. I broke one of the arms at the Hammers and Marlin replaced them free with his six-stud billet arms that he no longer makes.
David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

zr2runner [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 6
  • Member since Feb '08
    • View Profile
thanks for all the info and help... i am going to try my buddy Robs (hilux 1983) front square drive shaft and see if it works... maybe just build one of them...

muddywaters

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 73
  • Member since Jan '08
  • back to basics
    • View Profile
square drive shaft is a good option.  i did mine not to loong ago with 2 ifs ujoints...plenty of angle and plenty of slip. 

a few times in here guys said they would never go dual cases.  i cant see how a single 4.7 case would be better than 2 stock cases.  you retain your stock low range, gain 2wd lo, and in doubled you're lower than a single 4.7.  dual ultimates sometimes are too low around here, but dual stock cases, i think, give some of the best gearing options for overall trail riding.  duals were cheaper than 4.7 gears for me too.
Im like Hugh Hefner minus everything good about his life.

zr2runner [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '08
    • View Profile
well i had one made and it came out good... $150 it cost me but well worth it... now that i lifted the rear more to level it i am in need of a longer rear shaft.... it never ends..

zr2runner [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '08
    • View Profile

hilux-1983

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Male Posts: 1,271
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
 :clap:
DD, 22R, L52HD, 35"s, All pro/Marlin Hysteer, 529's, Aussie Locker in rear only. 5" All Pro springs and 5" shackles. Just purpose built and dependable. A/C blows like ice too... www.4x4HIM.org

YotaNate

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 276
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
Where did you end up getting it made?

Nate
"A CNN reporter, while interviewing a Marine Sniper asked.  What do you feel when you shoot a terrorist"?
The Marine shrugged and replied, "Recoil."

zr2runner [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '08
    • View Profile
TAD Shaft Works... in phoenix az