Author Topic: Throw Out bearing retaining clip keeps popping off...HELP!!  (Read 21774 times)

2manytoys

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 490
  • Male Posts: 583
  • Member since Nov '09
    • View Profile
So did you get your new clutch in? Did you find the problem?
88 Pickup SAS'd, 3.4 V6, R151F Hybrid, Dual Ultimate, Triple sticks, 35's, 5.29's, HP front, V6 rear, Aussies, 63" Chevs, Anti Wrap Bar, Warn 8274 on Home Built Bumper

4WU linked 86 Xtra Cab build in progress

86toyota [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 353
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
    • Montana 4x4 Association
yeah i got the clutch all in. runs great but still wont shift down into 3rd from 4th or 5th (after they got done replacing 5th gear and syncro), which i knew it wouldnt. The guys at the tranny shop said oh its deffinatly my clutch not allowing me to shift down (only into 3rd) bull shhh it. dropped it off tonight and on the way down i think a clip may have popped off again!! ill find out tomorrow and if thats the case ill switch to the new style t.o. bearing thats a one piece. i found out that will work. ill post what i find out tomorrow
T86OTA

2manytoys

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Nov '09
    • View Profile
That's weird? Let us know what you find out.

Thanks for the TO bearing info. I was thinking it should work, just wasn't sure enough to buy one and go for it.
88 Pickup SAS'd, 3.4 V6, R151F Hybrid, Dual Ultimate, Triple sticks, 35's, 5.29's, HP front, V6 rear, Aussies, 63" Chevs, Anti Wrap Bar, Warn 8274 on Home Built Bumper

86toyota [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
yeah i emailed one of marlins guys and they said itll work no problem. He said the new set up is the same as thickness as the bearing and hub on the older style just in a one piece. and the clip on it is different. Idk why it keeps comming off tho. everything is on right. i guess we'll just wait and see. from what little i did get to drive it i LOVE the marlin 1200hd clutch!! and the new t100 brake booster i just put on. now i just gotta get the proportioning valve and rear discs on!
T86OTA

2manytoys

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Nov '09
    • View Profile
I don't know if you got this figured out or not but I took another look at your pics and the fork looks short or something. Is it the correct fork?

If it is too short or if it travels too far, it looks like the arc it travels could possibly cause the clips to walk off the end of the fork. I don't know how better to explain it.

If you still have it off the truck, cycle the fork as far as it can move and see if the clips are forced to travel off the end of the fork. Just another possibility.

I have a W56 I just pulled from my truck I can look at tomorrow if you haven't figured anything out yet.

2manytoys

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Nov '09
    • View Profile
I looked at my W56 and it looks like yours. The fork looks the same. Don't know what else to tell ya???

Let us know if you figure it out.

86toyota [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
well she ran great for three days...then yesterday i was getting ready to get on the high way to drive back home to my parents house (about a 90 mile drive) and as i was leaving the gas station all of the sudden i had no clutch...just like what happened the 1st time this happened. So i know the clip either broke or fell off again. Its gotta go to the tranny shop Monday since they screwed up 5th and 3rd when putting the tranny back together. So this time instead of me installing it im just gonna have them do...pay a little bit of labor...then its off my chest. I cant be dealing with it any more.
T86OTA

2manytoys

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Nov '09
    • View Profile
Figure anything out yet? The fork isn't popping off the pivot ball is it? Does it have the spring clip to hold it on the ball?

Let us know what you find.

86toyota [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
yeah. found out there is a bolt behind the flywheel that was backing out that was rubbing on it and the pilot bearing was bad. So the clutch wasnt engaging all the way i guess causing the to bearing to bind up. Somthing like that i cant remember exactly what the tranny shop told me. Should have it back tomorrow.
T86OTA

axled89

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 296
  • Male Posts: 2,526
  • Member since Jan '09
    • View Profile
i hope it is all good when it gets back to you. :biggthumpup:
i love oregon wheelin.

86toyota [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
thanks thats all i can hope for now!! get it back tomorrow and get to take the drive where it broke the 1st time...cross my fingers i guess. The shop is knockin about $200 off labor since they know im a college kid and know what ive gone thru trying to get this tranny situation figured out so that nice. Ill let you guys know how she does. I need to go do some snow wheelin
T86OTA

2manytoys

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Nov '09
    • View Profile
How's it going with the TO bearing? How about your trans shifting issues? Did that shop take care of you and get it right?

86toyota [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
Ill find out tomorrow when i get it back. I ordered a new flywheel since they had everything apart anyways
T86OTA

2manytoys

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Nov '09
    • View Profile
Did ya gitter done?

86toyota [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
yeah got her back monday. Everything is great!! It like a new tranny. Less noise and alot smoother. They said it wasnt a syncro but when i picked it up they said they replace one "just so there was no questions aske" and didnt charge me for that. haha owell. She is running thats all that matters.
T86OTA

junya92toy

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -64
  • Male Posts: 1,500
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Drinking me beer
    • View Profile
SOunds like they screwed it up, but fixed it.
Dr.Maxwe001 – well i have a 15 gal compressor now and if I gett he 60  and then use the 15 as a reserve that wil give me 75 gal  thats close to 80 isnt it ?

86toyota [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
yup thats what i think.
T86OTA