Author Topic: first time ARB compressor startup  (Read 2354 times)

hiltu

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jan '10
    • View Profile
first time ARB compressor startup
« on: Mar 30, 2010, 02:51:34 PM »
Just got all the wiring done for my ARB front locker on my 85 4runner. First flip of the compressor switch and the compressor comes on. I verify that air exhausts from the top of the solenoid as stated in the directions. No other air leaks were noticed. So how long should the compressor be on for? I believe ive had it on 3 times for a total of about 5 minutes. Once I flipped the front locker switch, i noticed that the compressor had "bogged" a bit as expected. I'm worried that i'm going to burn up the compressor. So is 5 minutes for the initial, first ever, operation of the compressor too long? If so what could be wrong? thanks

swapped89

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 270
  • Male Posts: 1,221
  • Member since Aug '09
  • Not all who wander...are lost
    • View Profile
Re: first time ARB compressor startup
« Reply #1 on: Mar 30, 2010, 02:55:12 PM »
sounds like you got a leak somewhere. maybe... What size compressor did you get the big one for onboard air or the lil one that sais just to be used for the locker. Mine is the small one and only takes ten seconds at most before it turns off. did you use teflon tape on the fittings? and maybe the solinoid that tells the compressor to turn off at a certain pressure is malfunctioning?

check the axle breather to see if air is escaping maybe there is a leak somewhere makin it impossible for the compressor to get up to pressure.
SAS 89 p/u 3.0 5speed, bobbed, locked, ready to play in the rocks. or wherever the pavement ends :)
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=61345.0 

a wise man listens and observes more so than he opens his mouth.. and when he does it is valuable information....   (twistedtoy92)

hiltu [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mar 30, 2010, 02:57:51 PM »
I have the big compressor. Used teflon tape. The only thing that i have in doubt it for the big 2 prong pressure sensor, i couldn't determine which wire went to which prong. Is there a possibility that i screwed that up...

swapped89

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Aug '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Mar 30, 2010, 03:01:08 PM »
I have the big compressor. Used teflon tape. The only thing that i have in doubt it for the big 2 prong pressure sensor, i couldn't determine which wire went to which prong. Is there a possibility that i screwed that up...
ya flip them and see if it works better.(stays on less) 5 min is a looong time. Id say.
SAS 89 p/u 3.0 5speed, bobbed, locked, ready to play in the rocks. or wherever the pavement ends :)

a wise man listens and observes more so than he opens his mouth.. and when he does it is valuable information....   (twistedtoy92)

swapped89

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Aug '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Mar 30, 2010, 03:04:44 PM »
where did you get it from? Was it a complete third. Call the place you bought it from and ask them for a lil help. Im just throwin  idea's out there.

hiltu [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Mar 30, 2010, 04:05:40 PM »
bought the complete third from Marlin Crawler.

switched the two wires going to the pressure sensor and still the same. tightened down all fittings and bolts on the compressor. The gray manifold gets warm as well as the compressor. Pressure continues to exhaust through top of solenoid (expected). I went as far as unscrewing the other tap in the manifold to hear for air leaking and heard nothing. So it also seems that no pressure is being built up in the manifold. It has been ran for a total of 6 minutes and ive observed multiple operations over 30 seconds a piece. Im at a loss

hiltu [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Mar 30, 2010, 04:09:49 PM »
Shouldn't air just build up into the manifold with JUST the compressor switch energized? with the front locker switch in off shouldn't that cause the solenoid to be shut and therefore no flow? ill have to try the diff breather air flow next time

swapped89

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Aug '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Mar 30, 2010, 06:10:53 PM »
Shouldn't air just build up into the manifold with JUST the compressor switch energized? with the front locker switch in off shouldn't that cause the solenoid to be shut and therefore no flow? ill have to try the diff breather air flow next time
ya maybe just call marlin they are always very helpful!

hiltu [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Mar 31, 2010, 03:04:27 PM »
FIXED IT! Port 1 and 2 were backwards. The black part on top of the solenoid was backwards so everything looked right from the diagram. Reversed it and than it took like 8 seconds to pressure up. With the locker engaged about every 5 minutes it would kick on for no more than 2 seconds (seemed more like 1 second). Im not sure if this is too quick of a pressure drop that it might indicate a very small leak. Any suggestions?

swapped89

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Aug '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Mar 31, 2010, 04:04:53 PM »
It might. I can leave mine on all day while wheelin and it only comes on once every hour or two... if that. 5 minutes seems to often too me. Maybe someone else can chime in about how long it takes there ARB to pressure up, if left on.

Phazertwo

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 812
  • Member since Aug '05
  • So many yoda's, so little time!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Apr 05, 2010, 09:08:30 AM »
mine cycles about once about every hour with the locker disengaged.  Never had the locker engaged for more than 5 minutes, and it didn't cycle.  FYI I have the small compressor.

I would build a test jig like it says in the instructions, or like ZUK has, and test the locker itself.  Since Marlin built it I would assume that its good, and for your sake I hope that it is.  It would be much much easier to fix a leak in the air lines/fittings than to yank the diff and re-do the o-rings

my .02
PZ
92 xtra cab, with some stuff...

...why buy when you can build?

swapped89

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Aug '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Apr 05, 2010, 09:37:55 AM »
mine cycles about once about every hour with the locker disengaged.  Never had the locker engaged for more than 5 minutes, and it didn't cycle.  FYI I have the small compressor.

I would build a test jig like it says in the instructions, or like ZUK has, and test the locker itself.  Since Marlin built it I would assume that its good, and for your sake I hope that it is.  It would be much much easier to fix a leak in the air lines/fittings than to yank the diff and re-do the o-rings

my .02
PZ
Ive got the feeling it's all ready installed

Phazertwo

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 812
  • Member since Aug '05
  • So many yoda's, so little time!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Apr 05, 2010, 09:56:21 AM »
Ive got the feeling it's all ready installed

I am assuming it is too.  Which makes it even more of a pregnant dog to fix it if the locker/o-rings are not sealing.

PZ
92 xtra cab, with some stuff...

...why buy when you can build?