Author Topic: need to clear 35s, BigMike????  (Read 3295 times)

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
need to clear 35s, BigMike????
« on: Nov 21, 2004, 10:31:39 PM »
Ok, I have a 1980 lb 4wd and I wanna clear 35s with as little lift as possible.  I'd like to keep the lift at 4" or less and do minimal fender trimmin but do plan on whackin the fronts even with the corner light.  I'm not gonna move my spring perches or anything extravagent, but if I can get stock length springs that move the front axle forward an inch or so I might do that.  I really like the ride/flexability of my stock rears and considered making a custom traction bar slash lift block for the back so I won't get the violent axle wrap that I would with just lift blocks.  I plan on making longer shackles with an easily removable center for more flexability, and only plan on gainin an inch or so with these.  My gole is to have a more capable off roader that still has good road manners cause I do drive mostly on the highway.  I saw that BigMike wanted a similar lift and tire setup on his project but I have a snail speed computer and can't search too much looking for this, so if you're readin this lemme know what you did please,  Nate
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

WHITE_TRASH

• Turtle Points: 679
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Don't blame me, I didn't vote for this crap.
    • View Profile
Re: need to clear 35s, BigMike????
« Reply #1 on: Nov 21, 2004, 10:38:28 PM »
Here ya go.  All the ifo ya need is in $300 page 6-7
Full hydro, 186:1 with an auto and 44's what could go wrong??

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Nov 21, 2004, 10:45:51 PM »
Thanks white trash, I'll hafta check them's out.  Coincidentally those are the wheels I'll be runnin too.  Nate
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Turtle Points: 2205
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #3 on: Nov 22, 2004, 01:00:38 AM »
Definately follow WT's project as he's done much more than I have.
Here's the link he's talking about: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=2547.150

Actually today I was thinking about fitting tires under my truck. I pulled one of Marlin's 35s off and put it on my rear. It really took up alot of room and I am sure it will rub the rear fender under flex. I didnt even try to put it on the front, there's just no way its gonna work.

So I was looking at our 4" springs and they have wwaayy more arch than my current springs, so Im afraid my trucks gonna be much taller then it is now. So I was thinking about inbording my hanger and shackle mount about an inch up into the frame in an attempt to keep the truck low but still get the flex out of the better springs.
So I was looking at the body and I am ready to do some trimming to fit some larger tires on it. BTW, I plan on going 36 or 37.
And WT, that pic you posted above is exactly what I'll need to do if I wanna stay low and still fit some meats.

Anways, I'll discuss it more under my project once I get my springs in and get them installed. If they look way to tall then I am going to inboard their mounts to keep the truck lower. I see what happens when it happens..
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

WHITE_TRASH

• Member since Feb '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Nov 22, 2004, 01:04:12 AM »
In boarding your springs wont lose height, frenching the hangers will. ;)

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Turtle Points: 2205
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #5 on: Nov 22, 2004, 01:23:01 AM »
Well by in boarding I meant up into the frame, I should have said frenching :smack:

I am browsing through your build up right now (what you thought ive seen it all? hah) its pretty good stuff, and I just got to page 9 where it shows you in boarding your rear springs. Now I know how to use that word correctly :hammerhead:

So how does your truck handle with the springs like that? I thought about that but I cant afford much body roll the way I drive (raised with an MR2 and still think Im driving one). I need to figure out the measurements of where my rear spring is going to sit; I think my battery try is in the way if I wanted to inboard it :down:
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

WHITE_TRASH

• Member since Feb '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Nov 22, 2004, 01:28:00 AM »
The battery is the easy one.  Its the gas tank thats the headache.  It doesnt handle like an Mr2 thats for sure but it isnt too bad, by having the springs inboarded you can have a stiffer spring rate without sacrificing travel.  The biggest thing about my rigs is that I spend so much time behind the wheel I know my trucks and I can push them much harder than anyone else would dare to.  You just have to get used to the handling characteristics and learn to drive around them and compensate for them.

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Nov 22, 2004, 09:03:18 PM »
Ok WT, I checked your project out and have a better idear what I need to do, but due to my tired state musta missed the suspension part.  How much lift did you go with, or did it come with the lift already?  The front bumper you built is very similar to the one I had in my head for my buildup, but mine won't go quite as high.  I'm also thinkin about buying a diesel 2wd, shovin one of my axles under it(yea, it's just that easy huh?) and having a one off rig.  I've seen canadian 4wd models with diesels but no state bound models.  My parents were right, I want, I want, I want.............Nate
RIP KYOTA

WHITE_TRASH

• Member since Feb '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Nov 23, 2004, 09:45:45 AM »
I had maybe 3 1/2" of lift total on the truck.  The 90 has about 3 3/4" and Im running 38's on it.  I can take pics of anything you want just ask.

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Nov 23, 2004, 07:29:37 PM »
WT,  if you have 3.5" lift on the old one I might be able to get away without all the fender and firewall masasging you did.  I might go with 3.5 or 4" springs and a one inch body lift from Sky, then like I said maybe make my own shackles.  I'm kinda thinkin about sellin the 35s now though and just gettin 33s and puttin them on my current wheels.  It just looks like my/your wheels stick out too far for my taste, and I really like the offset of my Enkeis, and I wouldn't hafta lift it as much either.  Anyway, thanks everybody for your help,  Nate
RIP KYOTA

lacrack

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 10
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Nov 27, 2004, 08:34:21 PM »
a guy on pbb as 35 with no lift just triming is nick is rescue but its a 85 4runner
84runner 4"lift fender triming q-78 weber 32/36
our sitewww.toyota.net and our forum
http://www.toyota-4x4.net/forum/index.php