Author Topic: Rear Defrost Switch in truck  (Read 2323 times)

gwbaker

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 27
  • Member since Jul '09
    • View Profile
Rear Defrost Switch in truck
« on: Feb 14, 2010, 03:28:54 PM »
ok cant find this anywhere else probably something simple but im confused, I have a 86 truck with the rear defrost switch, it has a wiring harness hooked up to it and it lights up like its working, but I have a sliding back glass. the switch looks factory like it came with the truck but what would it be hooked up to and controlling......just curious.....thanks for any help

K.Lund

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -10
  • Male Posts: 35
  • Member since Jan '10
    • View Profile
Re: Rear Defrost Switch in truck
« Reply #1 on: Feb 15, 2010, 08:08:58 AM »
Maybe the PO removed the solid rear window and installed a slider?  Or they installed the factory switch to run fog lights or something.  The switch will light up even if nothing is connected to it.
1983 underconstruction

yotaneck13

• Mr. Right NOW
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: -52
  • Male Posts: 2,300
  • Member since Nov '09
  • MR. RIGHT NOW
    • View Profile
    • Right Now Racing and Fabrication
« Reply #2 on: Feb 15, 2010, 01:14:54 PM »
i didnt even kno they put dfrosters in the trucks huh learn somethin new every day i guess
RNR FABRICATION ON THE EAST COAST!!! rightnowracingfabrication@gmail.com (814)-516-5176 like us on facebook www.facebook.com/rnrfab
R.I.P Derek James Black 1995-2010 I miss you BUD! :sad2: 81 4wd wheelable 20r ifs rear welded on 33's goes amazing
"THE GENERAL" My build-on the backburner http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=63519.0

I make more money that you, my wife is hotter than yours, my thingy is bigger than yours

gwbaker [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 15, 2010, 01:55:35 PM »
oh so it may have had a defroster in a solid back glass? I didnt know that Thanks....

Snowtoy

• Online The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Feb 20, 2010, 07:43:30 PM »
As mentioned it is likely something the PO was using it to power something else(or planned to), and used the factory switch for the ease of putting a switch in an oem location.  I have done something similar in the past. 

To find out for sure pull the switch and see if it is attached to an oem harness or just has a spliced wire to the oem dash lights, or see if there is a harness end above or below the rear window.

Of all the 80's era pick-ups my friends and families members have had, and the ones that I have restored, I have never seen a defroster in a pick-up's rear window, there really isn't a need for one.  If it is all factory it is the first that most(if any) of us have ever heard of one being in Toyota mini truck. 
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

bleakhorizon

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 50
  • Male Posts: 803
  • Member since Jul '07
  • I'm not being rude. You're just insignificant.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Feb 20, 2010, 11:02:56 PM »
i happen to have  a 85 and a 87 owners manual sitting next to me and interestingly in the section it talks about the rear window defrost it doesnt specifically say its for a 4runner or truck... other more specific switches do...  so maybe a rear window defrost was an option on the pu... wouldnt be hard to do if you had a solid back window....
Those are some huge welds!

Tillamook, OR

axled89

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 296
  • Male Posts: 2,526
  • Member since Jan '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Feb 21, 2010, 02:10:24 PM »
thet little cab should'nt need defrost if the heater is working.    :headscratch:
i love oregon wheelin.

gwbaker [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Feb 21, 2010, 04:42:09 PM »
I have the manual for the truck and mine says the same thing, that the switch is not specified for the 4 runner, but it looks to be a factory harness, I have pulled it apart and tried to figure out where it went and what it went to, and po i highly doubt would go through the trouble of installing such a switch for other acc. but who knows.....the truck is power everything locks windows even has the factory cassette deck that works perfectly...i dont know if that would matter being all power but it has me really confused.......

Snowtoy

• Online The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Feb 21, 2010, 06:46:32 PM »
With the switch being wired to a factory harness, that only leaves 3 possible options, 1) dealer option, 2) after market install w/oem looking switch/harness, or 3) the interior and wiring harness has been swapped out w/a 4-Runner's.  Anyone know where the 1st gen Runner rear window defroster switch is located? It has been about 5yrs since I restored one, and I can't remember if it is located on the dash or on the center console.

One way to know for sure if the switch actually went to anything would be see if there is another harness or cut wires along the top or bottom of the rear window.

Do you know where the truck was originally sold?

You might try reposting this question in chitchat or the general forum, to get more board members involved.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

85xcab

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 81
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Feb 21, 2010, 07:22:27 PM »
My 85 pickup has the switch wired to the factory harness and the wires by the rear window opening. It has a sliding back window that I assume was installed by the PO

gwbaker [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Feb 22, 2010, 06:35:03 AM »
yeah mine has the sliding rear window also, probably had a solid one but I cant ever remember seeing a solid back glass  that had a defroster in it.....and the switch is located right where it would be on a 4runner of that year, on the dash....and i have also had the dash apart and I cant see where someone may have tapped into it, looks all factory under there....the only thing I havent looked for is wires around the rear window.....i think it would be really nice to have one if it was offered  but I have tried to find just a solid back glass and the is nearly impossible around here, I have found them on auction sites but im afraid that it would get broke in shipping.....

boneyard customs

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -10
  • Male Posts: 31
  • Member since Dec '10
  • Build it yourself and wheel it !
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Dec 29, 2010, 08:14:03 PM »
They have Rear Defrost in 4 Runners too........