Author Topic: 3rz help  (Read 1852 times)

steve-o

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Member since Feb '07
    • View Profile
3rz help
« on: Dec 30, 2009, 09:48:57 AM »
i am near completion of putting a 96 3rz into my 86 4runner and I'm gotting some issues,  i can get the motor to start but it will only run for a minute and then die,  if you pull the plugs you can see that is is getting way to much fuel and is causing the plugs to fowl out.  i have the fuel pump wired directly to the ignition, not sure if that is hurting anything,

any help is appreciated because i do not know this motor very well at all, and i did read BigMike's 3rz database thread like 4 times

Steve
86 4runner, 3link front, 4link rear, 39.5x13x15 iroks on 15x10 allied racing beadlocks, flatbelly, custom 61in wide toy front axle, 3rz, doubler, and more

zippo

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 550
  • Male Posts: 1,556
  • Member since Nov '08
    • View Profile
    • oppiz.net
Re: 3rz help
« Reply #1 on: Jan 02, 2010, 02:14:28 AM »
I know the pump is normally relayed from under the dash and then runns down and under the drivers seat, Solid Blue, and White/Black.

But it's running. I would think your first thing to check would be your fuel rail pressure. I don't have the FSM infront of me but i thinking its around 40 PSI. If you dont' have a way to check the pressure, replace your fuel regulator.

If all that checks out, check/replace you MAS and TPS.

It shouldn't have anything todo with your, O2 sensors, because the engine wouldn't be runnign closed circut at only a min. Not warm enough.

You might try a tune up too, new plugs and wires. Check to see if each plug is fowled the same, or is it one cylinder.

You best watch how you wired the pump also. you can burn it up real quick that way!

If you see it, its for sale.

steve-o [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Feb '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 02, 2010, 07:54:26 AM »
ill try wiring in the pump the way it was stock with the COR,  and ill try to check the pressure.  also this motor is a fresh rebuild and almost everything is new and all four plugs are fouled the same

thanks
86 4runner, 3link front, 4link rear, 39.5x13x15 iroks on 15x10 allied racing beadlocks, flatbelly, custom 61in wide toy front axle, 3rz, doubler, and more

Phazertwo

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 812
  • Member since Aug '05
  • So many yoda's, so little time!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 02, 2010, 09:23:47 AM »
This might have nothing to do with it, but my buddy did a 4.0L swap on his old jeep.  When he got it fired up it would run for ~30sec than die.  Turned out that the computer thought it was stolen, and would not allow the engine to run any longer than that.

Does it sputter and die, or does it seem to run fine?  Can you rev it up in that minute?

I am wondering if the computer is shutting it down?

PZ
92 xtra cab, with some stuff...

...why buy when you can build?

steve-o [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Feb '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 02, 2010, 08:37:22 PM »
i can rev it up when it is running it will die when the plugs get fouled,  if i pull them and clean them it will fire up again and be fine for another minute or so

1uzrunner

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Oct '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 03, 2010, 05:01:57 PM »
What is the water temperature sensor values? 

steve-o [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Feb '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 04, 2010, 07:10:24 PM »
i havent gotten it to get to full operating temp yet it wont run that long.

i tried changing the pressure regulator today with no change.

i am not running a taco evap canister could that affect it? 

thanks for the help so far

zippo

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 550
  • Male Posts: 1,556
  • Member since Nov '08
    • View Profile
    • oppiz.net
« Reply #7 on: Jan 04, 2010, 07:17:22 PM »
no, that would just give you a check engine light.

I would do a spark test on one of the plugs. Take the plug out and ground it to the engine. "or use a tester plug with the clip". and let her run. See if the spark stops before the engine?

Check the OBDII?
If you see it, its for sale.

steve-o [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Feb '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jan 05, 2010, 06:32:50 PM »
only had a couple hours today to work on it,  i cant get my obdII to read right, I'm going to do a little research and try again.

also my buddy mike came by today and tried unplugging the mass air flow while the truck was running and there was no change at all,  so i am leaning towards that now

steve-o [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Feb '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jan 07, 2010, 07:56:49 AM »
fixed it,  it was the way i had the fuel pump wired,  it runs great now