Author Topic: exhaust manifold!!!???  (Read 3145 times)

Makohon

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 83
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
exhaust manifold!!!???
« on: Dec 27, 2004, 09:05:29 AM »
ok well i got an 85  carb and need to put the stock exhaust manifold on to pass smog!! but one thing.. im scared to!! why?? well with my last yota ''80'' i had to do the same thing... but every friggin stud stripped out?? i used a torque wrench and torqued to the right amount?? but everystud ripped out and i had to use a helicoil on every stud!! still stripped out after that!! i was thinking that maybe my torque wrench was not calibrated er somthin but then i was told by the guy i bought the truck from that you shouldnt torque it to what the manual says but to a lower torque?? help me so the same thing doesnt happen to me again!!! thanx guys!! :wave:  :beerchug:
91 std cab, flatbed, 35 mtr's, aussie, 5.29's, 4.7's, twin sticks

WHITE_TRASH

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 679
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Don't blame me, I didn't vote for this crap.
    • View Profile
Re: exhaust manifold!!!???
« Reply #1 on: Dec 27, 2004, 12:54:24 PM »
I just snug them up.  Theres no reason to crank them down as the manuals say.
Full hydro, 186:1 with an auto and 44's what could go wrong??

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Dec 27, 2004, 05:47:43 PM »
How big of a torque wrench were you using?  For light stuff like that the best thing to use is, well I dunno what it's called, but the flexible kind that has a sweep dial.  Even though my big one will go that light, it doesn't work very well, and it's too easy to over leverage a bolt/stud and break it or strip it.  Go with WT on this one though,  I go tight with a wrench and call it good, any more is just asking for trouble,   Nate
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

jr9162

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 36
  • Male Posts: 512
  • Member since Sep '04
  • No nookie like Chinookie no butts like Halibuts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Dec 27, 2004, 08:19:08 PM »
Was u using ft lbs when it shoulda been inch lbs?
I'm a member of P.E.T.A.
People Eating Tasty Animals
There's no nookie like chinookie
No butts like halibuts
Fish are not our friends, they're food.
Eat more moose - 10,000 wolves can't be wrong

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed Pharmacist".

Makohon [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 83
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Dec 28, 2004, 07:20:35 AM »
im pretty damn sure i was useing the right measurement.. well i guess i was useing to large of a wrench and its not that acurate.... well ill just go with kneed and wt suggestions!! thanx guys!! :wave:  :beerchug:
91 std cab, flatbed, 35 mtr's, aussie, 5.29's, 4.7's, twin sticks

FIREBALL

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 190
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Hi Ho Marlin....u talkin to me
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Dec 28, 2004, 08:40:56 AM »
It's pretty common for those studs to do that. Even with careful tightening. You have iron on one side and aluminum on the other, and they are both getting very hot. They expand and contract at different rates, and this really causes some probs over time. My dad's been a yota mechanic for 35 years now, and he's gotten to the point where he helicoils them all. If he's got the head off he'll just do them all right then to save time having to fix one later. He can do them all with the head on too. He has a stubby drill bit that will fit into the tight spots, but it's much easier with the head off. If you do a good job with the helicoils they seam to last much long.

kyle_22r

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 530
  • Male Posts: 1,233
  • Member since Dec '03
  • yellow beast
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Dec 28, 2004, 03:13:10 PM »
i would've had mine helicoiled but the shop told me $17 for the first one and something like $12 for every one after that :hammerhead:

i'll take my chances with my proto torque wrench this time around...

Uncle Jesse

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 21
  • Male Posts: 375
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Dec 28, 2004, 04:56:22 PM »
I agree with the heli coils.  While trying to figure out why my header was leaking, I must have removed it at least five times to change gaskets.  Each time I put it back on another stud stripped out.  I eventually wised up and heli coiled them on.  Like they said, a stubby drill bit and right angle drill will let you heli coil them while the head is on.  I don't remember the 10 x 1.25 heli coil set being that expensive (now that it comes with the cheapy plastic installer), and if you do them all at once it really doesn't take that long.  Just make sure to tape off your drill bit for the proper depth, and drill straight!