Author Topic: Engine problem on 99 F-250 PSD...  (Read 3402 times)

89toy

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 1,003
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
Engine problem on 99 F-250 PSD...
« on: Apr 14, 2009, 08:48:43 PM »
So I finally have an engine problem after 230K.  Prepare to read...

Started when the glow plugs were not working correctly (at all).  Replaced the GP relay and now it starts and runs fine on cold mornings.  Following GPR replacement, I now have another problem.  About 1 month ago I filled up and thought I bought bad diesel.  It ran REALLY bad and sounded like it had an injector going out.  Sometimes it would smooth out and run fine and others it would run poorly (even with other brands of diesel now). 

The problem: the truck starts and runs perfect when I first turn it on, but the "service engine soon" light is on.  It also has very little power when the light is on.  If I do not move the truck and just let it idle, the light will stay on for about 3 minutes.  Then immediately after the light goes off, the truck sounds like it just about dies, then kicks back up to normal RPM's but the sound of a bad injector is now there and it runs rough...buuuuuuut, the truck has all the power it normally has. 

I am going crazy with this and can't figure it out.  Mods are chip (not sure what kind, was in it when I bought it), intake, and straight pipe exhaust (original size though).

Any help is more than appreciated and if anybody needs more info PLEASE let me know!
He who dies with the most toys...still dies.

89toy [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
Re: Engine problem on 99 F-250 PSD...
« Reply #1 on: Apr 17, 2009, 04:46:44 PM »
Anybody have an idea???   Please let me know.

I will probably take it to ford soon only because I can't figure it out.  I would rather they let me know what is wrong and I fix it myself but I would rather everybody else give me an idea.

Think of it this way, if you have an idea and I replace something...the truck has 230K miles and if you have an approximate idea of what it could be it probably won't be bad to replace that part anyway.

LOCKEDRUNNER

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 66
  • Member since Aug '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Apr 21, 2009, 12:59:56 PM »
First thing I would do is remove the chip, I have seen several failures causing pcm communication problems. If the doesn't work send the money to have it fixed. Throwing parts at it is a waste of your hard earned cash.

Joey88RUNR

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -23
  • Male Posts: 1,057
  • Member since Feb '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Apr 21, 2009, 07:26:44 PM »
yea i reccomend the dealer, let the pros figure it out
SaS'd Dual ultimate crawler w/5.29s Aussie front/detriot Rear, 35's Mtr's with kevlar

FILDO

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Apr 21, 2009, 11:36:08 PM »
www.thedieselstop.com

They should be able to give you a better answer

89toy [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Apr 23, 2009, 09:49:11 PM »
Yeah, ya'll are right.  I'm used to fixing everything myself but this is something that I should definitly take to the dealer with instead of messing something up or throwing all my cash at it.

I will take it to the dealer soon and make sure to post back up with what the problem was.

Thanks for the link though FILDO

sandboxtoy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 177
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Apr 23, 2009, 10:47:51 PM »
you know diesel's run better when you flood them with fuel, hince the black smoke. i'd check the injecter.  have you heard of ford truck ethusiasts? i believe it's fte.com , lots of info there. good luck!

red

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 199
  • Male Posts: 1,616
  • Member since Jan '05
  • irish redhead texan, interesting combo
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #7 on: Apr 27, 2009, 04:27:11 PM »
wtf diesel's run better with the black smoke? you've got that backwards man, that black smoke is from way too much fuel getting pumped in and the motor cant use it, makes for higher egt's which puts more strain on every single part of the motor. if the turbo doesnt blow 1st the motor will melt down. diesel's naturally run lean, 18:1 compression is standard on turbodiesels (except the 6.5L).

if you havent taken it to a shop yet have you read the codes?
read and comment :whip:

USAF EOD tech

sandboxtoy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 177
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Apr 27, 2009, 11:37:01 PM »
air 2 fuel mixture - boost the turbo psi and dump fuel in. with an aftermarket chip at wot do you you think he'll notice a leaking injecter? no. just a little more smoke & egt's. probably idles bad though, just my 2 cents for what it's worth. still could be other issues, may need an injecter, computer flash, o2 sensor etc. if you have the time research it, if you have the money than take it to ford. good luck

89toy [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jun 15, 2009, 07:11:14 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys! 

I haven't had the chance to do anything with the truck yet.  But, now that it is warmer there is not any problems happening at start up.  I am a wildland firefighter and have been on initial attack and now we are doing prescribed burns so I won't have any time to get it checked out (I usually don't see the truck for about 2 weeks at a time).  I am definitly going to post up when I find out what is wrong...

I did research the truck though.  I bought it at 135K miles and found out that at about 120K the truck was reflashed.  So now I am assuming that it does not have a chip in it but that it was just reflashed to run stronger (not sure if there is a way for that though).  I was told it has a chip but I have now looked (since it was said the chip can cause problems) and can not find anything.  So, I guess it was just reflashed and the chip is not the problem (because it does not have one).