Author Topic: '83 Shortbed pulling a trailer to Phoenix?  (Read 2936 times)

83MT

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -23
  • Member since Jun '08
    • View Profile
'83 Shortbed pulling a trailer to Phoenix?
« on: Mar 11, 2009, 11:55:34 AM »
Am I stupid?  :nonono: Tell me if you think it's a bad idea and what, other than making sure my brakes are good and the truck's tuned up & everything, I should do to get ready. Montana to Phoenix.

My truck's an '83 4x4 with a rebuilt engine & L52HD & new clutch. But it is still just a 22R.

Some freinds of mine who work for a non-profit ceramics organization are headed down to a conference in Phoenix in early April. They're flying, and they ship a bunch of work down there, but there are some large awkward things that don't ship well. They've been telling me how good of a time it is down there, they pretty much take over a big part of the city, and when I mentioned that I probably couldn't do it, but if I did, I wouldn't fly, I'd drive, they told me that if I took some work down there with me, they'd pay my gas and lodging.

So what it likely means is my truck with a little in the bed, but also pulling an 8ft enclosed trailer. Not too much weight in the trailer, but still...

A few people have told me that they've done similar things and would never do it again, but I don't know them well enough...I don't care if I can't go 75mph. I'm going to take it slow anyways, but, is this going to be really serious wear on my truck? A serious pain in the a**? Bad idea in general? Or is it no problem as long as I'm prepared to go pretty slow?

Just looking for some advice. I pulled a full size Chevy truck-bed trailer from SLC Utah up here to Montana, and it was fine, but Montana to Phoenix is a bit more than double that.

I'm having a guy here build me a bumper with a tow receiver welded to the bottom, and they told me they'd also help pay for that.
« Last Edit: Mar 11, 2009, 02:02:09 PM by 83MT »
Zach
I like Yotatech

93tonkatoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Male Posts: 463
  • Member since Jul '07
  • drive it till it breaks! then break out the tools.
    • View Profile
Re: '83 Shortbed pulling a trailer to Phoenix?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 11, 2009, 11:15:26 PM »
Full tune-up, brake check, and lube everything.

If you are confident that the truck alone will make it, the trailer isn't going to change that. It will rob you of speed and power, but since you say you are going to take it easy...  You will take a considerable hit on gas mileage, and will get worse, the faster you go while dragging the parachute (enclosed trailer).

Sounds like you are getting a (nearly) free vacation!
It ain't worth doin' if you don't have to clean up afterwards!

Build it, break it, fix it, repeat until your wallet is empty.

I shall infuse thy Jeep with the Essence of Toyota...and maybe that one won't pee on itself at the first sight of granite. - Duffil

SAVE TELLICO post 491

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mar 11, 2009, 11:32:44 PM »
As mentioned if you are confident the truck would make it there and back by itself, a trailer shouldn't hurt, within reason of course.  Back in H.S. I used to tow a buddy's 24" open bow ski boat w/my 2wd '82 Toyota, and it did OK,  mountain passes weren't fun, but doable.  If you keep the weight of the trailer and the material being hauled to around 2500lbs or so, you should be fine. 
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

83MT [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Mar 12, 2009, 07:25:50 AM »
Ok, thanks. I'm trying to get a little more info right now on how much weight I'm looking at. I'm hoping no more (or not much more) than 1000lbs.
Zach
I like Yotatech

StillH2O_Toy

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 44
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Mar 12, 2009, 11:00:18 AM »
With my 1982 I haul a 6 x 10 trailer around in the summer loaded with a Kubota 48" zero turn rider, push mower, weed eater, edger, and blower.  As everyone says it is slow but it gets me and my equipment from yard to yard and then home.  Hills are no fun (see slow) and stops have to be watched for and planned as much as possible but I see no reason to think you can't make the trip if your truck and trailer are in good mechanical condition.  Good luck.
1982 Yellow SWB SR5  L52HD, stock height, Pro Zap Front Bumper.  In the family since it was new in 82.

83MT [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Mar 12, 2009, 11:50:42 AM »
Great, thanks. I have yet to see the trailer, it's theirs. I need to go out there soon to see what I need to wire my truck for, as far as wire connectors, and what size ball I'll need.
Zach
I like Yotatech

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #6 on: Mar 12, 2009, 05:44:33 PM »
Marlin used to (and may still) drag around a trailer with transmissions and tcases in it. I used to tow an 18' travel trailer with my 86 4Runner, I used to carry a cab-over camper and 2 seadoos with my 84 pickup, I used to flattow my Willys with my 80 longbed, got a little slow sometimes but I never had an issue doing it.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

83MT [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Mar 13, 2009, 08:20:03 AM »
Cool, this is the kind of stuff I was wanting to hear. Got completely different responses on Yotatech. Most people think it's too much wear & tear on the vehicle, and a nightmare to go as far as I'm planning on going. Having a longbed would be nice for this, my wheelbase is really short for towing, but hopefully it'll be an uneventful trip, and no need for really quick braking.

I'm hoping I'll be around (or even under) 1000lbs, but we'll see.
Zach
I like Yotatech

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Mar 13, 2009, 02:03:54 PM »
I think that response is based on the assumption by most people that you can't tow anything w/the mini trucks.  What they tend to forget is that these trucks are used around the world like full size domestic trucks were originally used here in the U.S.  The Toyota frames are 1 ton frames, and the drivetrain is built to support that, of course within reason  The main issue is power, but if you can maintain 55mph on the highway and about 45 in mountains, it is livable.  The only real concern is stopping and how much the trailer pushes the vehicle around, and that is why you want to be aware of the over all weight and how you load the trailer.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #9 on: Mar 13, 2009, 07:49:16 PM »
Got completely different responses on Yotatech.

I was going to say something but you are reffering to Yotatechless, when dtb is a tech god over there it says volumes. (How ya doin' Collier) :gap:

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Mar 13, 2009, 08:05:27 PM »
Ehhhhhh....what up RS?

Naaaahhhh toyotas cant pull nothing.... U need a V8 for that :gap:   longer wheelbase does help with sway though.....reg cabs toyotas are pretty short WB

RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #11 on: Mar 13, 2009, 08:20:16 PM »
Yeah I didn't think you were the one over there telling him he couldn't tow with a Yota.

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #12 on: Mar 13, 2009, 08:24:16 PM »
I towed a 64 Valiant from PA to CA........

<-----

Make sure the trailer has brakes, and get a brake controller.
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

83MT [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Mar 16, 2009, 07:04:33 AM »
Well, the trailer is more like 10-12ft, and it doesn't have a brake. The thing is probably the same length as my truck, and will be loaded with ceramics. I do think that if my truck would make it without the trailer, it will make it with the trailer, but...it's a long way, with a few good mountian passes. We'll see.

There are some very knowledgeable people over at yotatech, but yes, it does have a lot more beginners (like me).
Zach
I like Yotatech

93tonkatoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Male Posts: 463
  • Member since Jul '07
  • drive it till it breaks! then break out the tools.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Mar 17, 2009, 10:22:08 PM »
I would not advise anyone NOT highly experienced with pulling loaded trailers to duplicate this, but I used a 16' dual axle trailer (weighed at the dump, truck and empty trailer combined weight was 6700 pounds - over the GVWR of 5350, no trailer brakes) to haul a bobcat (I don't know their total weight) about 50 miles round trip. I was at the time, still running 33's on stock 4.10 gears. Takeoffs were extremely slow, but my tired 22r-e got the job done. Braking was slow, but manageable, but required paying extreme attention to what was happening around me. I have OVERworked my truck many times, and it has yet to back down. I have since swapped to rear disk brakes, and have pulled other comparable loads, and the braking is a lot better.
It ain't worth doin' if you don't have to clean up afterwards!

Build it, break it, fix it, repeat until your wallet is empty.

I shall infuse thy Jeep with the Essence of Toyota...and maybe that one won't pee on itself at the first sight of granite. - Duffil

SAVE TELLICO post 491

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #15 on: Mar 17, 2009, 11:27:47 PM »
I would not advise anyone NOT highly experienced with pulling loaded trailers to duplicate this, but I used a 16' dual axle trailer (weighed at the dump, truck and empty trailer combined weight was 6700 pounds - over the GVWR of 5350, no trailer brakes) to haul a bobcat (I don't know their total weight) about 50 miles round trip. I was at the time, still running 33's on stock 4.10 gears. Takeoffs were extremely slow, but my tired 22r-e got the job done. Braking was slow, but manageable, but required paying extreme attention to what was happening around me. I have OVERworked my truck many times, and it has yet to back down. I have since swapped to rear disk brakes, and have pulled other comparable loads, and the braking is a lot better.

Low range is very useful for getting heavy loads moving........

Either leave it in low if you're stuck in the city, or start in LOW,1st; and double clutch out of LOW to HIGH,1st
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

83MT [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Mar 18, 2009, 07:06:48 AM »
Well, if it turns out I don't have a bad headgasket, I think I'm in business. I talked to my friend last night and he said they're going to ship the majority of it, and just have me take a couple big weird shaped things in my truck, no trailer. Lets hope I'm not leaking any exhaust or oil into my radiator! I'd be missing out on a fun trip.
Zach
I like Yotatech

hilux-1983

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Male Posts: 1,271
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Apr 02, 2009, 12:22:15 PM »
You'll be fine. Don worree bout it! I have an 83 Toy longbed 4x4, 6" lift, 529's, 35" tires, 22r(carburated),5spd. It's got 260,000 miles on the original motor and trans. Still passes California smog laws too. I tow my 16 ft trailer with tow buggies all the time, I've driven from NC to AZ, AZ to Cali a few times. I've pulled out a Semi-18 wheeler rig from a ditch. The list goes on and on. I've worked for GM a lot a years and I would put our Toyotas to the test over them GM's any time. Pound for pound these Toys are the best vehicle on the road. My opinion only! Don't mean to step on any toes. Have confidence in your truck! I'll be waiting to hear how the trip went.
DD, 22R, L52HD, 35"s, All pro/Marlin Hysteer, 529's, Aussie Locker in rear only. 5" All Pro springs and 5" shackles. Just purpose built and dependable. A/C blows like ice too... www.4x4HIM.org

hilux-1983

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Jun 17, 2009, 04:19:08 PM »
Checking on some older posts and came across yours. So, how did the towing go?
DD, 22R, L52HD, 35"s, All pro/Marlin Hysteer, 529's, Aussie Locker in rear only. 5" All Pro springs and 5" shackles. Just purpose built and dependable. A/C blows like ice too... www.4x4HIM.org

83MT [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Jun 18, 2009, 06:24:37 AM »
Well, I lucked out. After we took a look at the trailer together, we both decided it was pretty much bigger and heavier than my truck and wasn't going to happen. So, I got the same deal for just filling the back of my truck up with stuff & driving down. Went well! Fuel pump (2 month old Napa pump) went out about half way down...had to rig the lever on it so it would get me to the next town, spent the night there then replaced it in the morning. Otherwise it went good.  :beerchug:
Zach
I like Yotatech

hilux-1983

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Jun 18, 2009, 08:20:01 AM »
I'm in Buckeye(about 30mins outside of phx). So anytime your on the 10 and going back to phx just wave as your going through. Also, if you need any assistance give me a ring 623-606-8021.

83MT [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Jun 18, 2009, 09:18:38 AM »
Thanks! If I ever make it back down there again I'll be sure to keep that in mind.
Zach
I like Yotatech