Author Topic: THORN-TURDS!  (Read 1194 times)

bamajojo9

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Apr '10
    • View Profile
THORN-TURDS!
« on: Feb 27, 2011, 10:23:54 PM »
So I've got a set of 33.1250 thornbirds, no I did not buy new thornbirds, I'm not that stupid bit its all I've got for rite mow amd was wondering if anybody had some ideas about cutting these tires to make them clean themselves out and perform better instill I can get some new tires?!

H8PVMNT

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
Re: THORN-TURDS!
« Reply #1 on: Feb 28, 2011, 10:25:58 AM »
They aren't so bad for plain old dirt if you run like 3 psi in them.  They are pretty worthless all around though.  If I had a free set I would probably run them out.

I would get the $59 hot groover from speedway motors and maybe get some 3/8 knives for it.  I would just open up the exsisting sipes and make some angled, stairsteped grooves across the lugs.  Work off of what was allready there just make more of it and wider gaps.  I wouldn't get to crazy about removing entire lugs.  The tire is suposed to be an aggresive all terrain so I would play off of that.  Stay with something that resembles the original tread elements but just more  working edges...

We've had pretty good success waking up dog tires with this method.  We even got a set of those old bias military goodyears to work well.
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K