Author Topic: 1976 Power steering custom brackets? longer belts?  (Read 2953 times)

yoter4x4

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 31
  • Member since Dec '08
  • Team Bungie!
    • View Profile
1976 Power steering custom brackets? longer belts?
« on: Mar 26, 2009, 12:40:12 AM »
I currently picked up a 20r Shortblock originally bought for a 76 2wd Toyota pickup, and have the whole entire motor painted and ready to drop in my 83 shortbed 4x4, but just realized today that the power steering bracket and alternator bracket would not work off of the trucks original 22r. I've read a few posts online about my year motor not having the proper mounting holes

So i have a few questions of my own, the PS bracket bolted onto my motor, but it is in the way of my vacuum advance on my distributer, there is no way to have my distributer in the right spot and have the bracket bolted on at the same time.

Also, my alternator "adjuster bracket" will not seem to work either, i mounted it on the motor like i thought it was supposed to go and the original belt off my 22r was WAY to short for my 20r, Can i swap my alternator to the other side of the motor ( where the A/C pump used to be and run a different belt?) finding this out was very frustrating because i planned on having the motor bolted in the truck tonight... but ran into this problem. Do i just do something custom?

The truck has high steer already and also has the ifs box mounted on the frame, just need to hook up my pump and alternator to be on the road..Please help guys, Pictures help so much! thanks again in advance.
Bullets don't know the difference between race, sex, or gender.. They Just Feed On Flesh!

yoter4x4 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '08
  • Team Bungie!
    • View Profile
bump- need some advice from the pro's!!! still kinda stumped on what to do.. so the motor just sits on the floor....
Bullets don't know the difference between race, sex, or gender.. They Just Feed On Flesh!

ShoNuff

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 4
  • Member since Jan '08
    • View Profile
hope you've figured this out by now but just in case you havent ill lend a hand.

you can use the 22r dizzy in the 20r head.  bam clearance issue solved.  (was kinda waiting to see the post about how you connected the 20r dizzy to the 22r coil :D)

you can also use the upper alt bracket from the 22r.

the lower alt bracket is prolly why you need to buy a new $12 belt.  you may be able to use the 22r lower bracket but im not totally sure about that.
its a toyota thing, i dont understand

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
i have a lower and flat upper 22r alt bracket for sale if you need it, cheap
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

yoter4x4 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '08
  • Team Bungie!
    • View Profile
thanks guys.. no i've been busy, i figured out my alt problem though... haha a few to many beers when i couldn't figure it out. As far as using a 22r dizzy, it works no problem? just drop it in top dead center and BAM good to go? I did notice the vacuum advance on a 20r dizzy has one vacuum hose and the 22r dizzy has 2 vacuum lines... sorry dumb questions i know.. but which one would i block off on the 22 dizzy? and of course which one do i run to my weber 32/36?

I've got like 30 22r power steering brackets... and one 20r. Thanks for the offer though man, but if the 22r dizzy will clear the PS bracket when i drop it in the 20r head i'll be GOOD TO GO.

Thanks guys.