Author Topic: 3vz oil leak  (Read 3629 times)

crawlerdan

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1319
  • Male Posts: 4,770
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
3vz oil leak
« on: May 03, 2009, 09:43:32 PM »
well the new runner has the infamous 3vz v6

im waiting on parts for the rear suspension and dual cases so figured i would tackle the oil leaks

it is leaking on the passenger side, alot.
it first looked like the valve cover gasket so i replaced that- started it up and let it run for about 15 mins, no leaks! so i shut it off and it started pouring again, same area.

the valve cover is not leaking again, i can see that fairly well, its coming from below it.

so what is over there that could leak that bad?

anyone have experiance with 3vz oil leaks? black dog !?!?

id like to tear  into it tommarow and fix it while i have the time, i want this motor to run nicely until i can swap in another motor, (probably a 3.4.)

thanks guys :beerchug:

beyondlogic

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 132
  • Male Posts: 104
  • Member since Jun '08
    • View Profile
    • Bayou State Land Crusiers
Re: 3vz oil leak
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 06:43:49 AM »
mine had a bad oil leak on the passenger side when i bought it and i fought it forever trying to find where it was coming from,  come to find out it was the cam seal that was leaking and then running down inside the timing cover and leaking out by the exhaust manifold. 
89 3.0 5spd reg cab sht bed pickup, 33x12.5x15 mudrovers, open f & r, custom rear bumper and sliders, IFS Front, 3" BL.

www.bslca.com
http://forum.ih8mud.com/la-bayou-state-land-cruisers/215649-truck-work.html

crawlerdan [OP]

• Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009, 07:50:27 AM »
was it leaking out the front or rear>?

crawlerdan [OP]

• Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2009, 07:50:47 AM »
oh and how did you go about fixing that

attitude of gratitude

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 90
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2009, 05:19:44 PM »
Take the front cover offand the gears, like you're doin a timming belt . Alot of times it's the cam cap that holds the seal that's leaking. Just regoo that. It's not a interference motor so don't worry about bending valves. If one seal is leaking though you better replace the other and the crank seal.
88 4runner , Can-Back, KMA bumpers, sas, 5:29's, 37" MTR's, Aussie, 6" rear Marlin springs, $50 paint job, Thorley and Dynomax exhaust, Body Shutzed the rockers, 3.4 swap,

jeff94runner

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 138
  • Member since Jun '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2009, 05:59:59 PM »
I've got it on the drivers side. :thumbdown:
"Keeping the heavy light the heavy can be handled"

beyondlogic

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 132
  • Male Posts: 104
  • Member since Jun '08
    • View Profile
    • Bayou State Land Crusiers
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2009, 07:18:29 AM »
it was the front.  and like attitude said you remove everything like a timing belt change and then the seals are right there on the end, although i dont remember a "cap".  i changed all three seals while i had it off, i also changed all the timing stuff, water pump and anything else that was easy to get to with all that off.

89 3.0 5spd reg cab sht bed pickup, 33x12.5x15 mudrovers, open f & r, custom rear bumper and sliders, IFS Front, 3" BL.

www.bslca.com

crawlerdan [OP]

• Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2009, 06:25:58 PM »
well... crap... i got stupid big hands and am already tired of working in that engine bay, i think ill pull it out and rebuild the whole damn thing

Richmondo

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Member since Jun '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2009, 01:14:33 PM »
The cam caps are on the back of the heads. I would definitely check those as well as the front cam seals and crank seal. If you do check those take sometime and look in the valley of the block for oil. I recently did a valve job on mine and when I pulled the lower intake manifold off the valley was full of oil.

Turns out there are two oil feed holes, one in each head, that are for the cams. Both head gaskets had small dents in them around these holes and they were leaking down into the valley, which made diagnosing it a pain in the ass because one day it looked like a rear main then the next it looked like the crank seal.
It was just crazy to see this deer leap all suicidal style off this embankment right in front of us.

crawlerdan [OP]

• Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2009, 01:21:08 PM »
The cam caps are on the back of the heads. I would definitely check those as well as the front cam seals and crank seal. If you do check those take sometime and look in the valley of the block for oil. I recently did a valve job on mine and when I pulled the lower intake manifold off the valley was full of oil.

Turns out there are two oil feed holes, one in each head, that are for the cams. Both head gaskets had small dents in them around these holes and they were leaking down into the valley, which made diagnosing it a pain in the ass because one day it looked like a rear main then the next it looked like the crank seal.
ya im pretty sure the whole motor is coming out