Author Topic: reinforced half doors?  (Read 971 times)

jji

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 15
  • Member since May '08
    • View Profile
reinforced half doors?
« on: Apr 13, 2009, 12:32:59 PM »
So I got some free doors for a 91 extra cab and I thought i would make some half doors. I've got the basic design and shape I want for them but I can't find out how I want to reinforce them. I don't know if I want my reinforcement metal to be outside of the halfdoor or just inside for protection.

Has anybody seen any cool half door threads that could help me out or any input on this?

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
Re: reinforced half doors?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 13, 2009, 12:35:43 PM »
Foam filler spray, get it from The Home Depot, will make for a much stronger door without even lifting a finger. Well you do have to lift a finger to spray it in. :gap:
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Apr 13, 2009, 01:04:13 PM »
check out my build thread in project and research.  after I cut my doors, we sheeted the inside and capped it with 18 guage .  Doors are far more solid than stock, I can stand on the flat part with no problem at all.  And anyone who's seen me can vouch, I'm no small guy  :gap: 

I didn't want to fill the inside, as I installed some speakers in the doors, and down the road I plan on fabbing up a pocket of sorts, a map pocket recessed into the door essentially.  Also, one thing I don't like about the spray is it really takes away the ability to fix anything inside the door if it goes bad, depending on how you set up the door latches and stuff. 
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #3 on: Apr 13, 2009, 01:09:51 PM »
Boxing around the levers and such keep the inner workings accessible. A friend of mine did it that way and he can still get to them from an access door on the inside. I would just take mine off, and go open on mine. (samurai's)
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

jji [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since May '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Apr 13, 2009, 01:35:09 PM »
Yeah I Kind've like the 2x4 idea but I am looking for something that will do more than support my weight. I want something that will stand up to some carnage from the v notch this year. :yesnod:
If i could find a way to make them as strong as tube doors but still give them the original body look I would be stoked. I definately plan on capping the top with sheet metal but i don't know what should go inside.

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Apr 13, 2009, 01:50:59 PM »
If you don't care about the look of the outside, I've seen angle iron welded parallel to the ground on the door, with the corner pointed outward.  I think 4runnrrick did that, I don't remember though.  I guess you could do the same on the inside of the outter door panel, it would give it some additional rigidity for sure. 
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

Talon84x4

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 375
  • Male Posts: 919
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Apr 13, 2009, 05:38:42 PM »
I just welded the cap to the top and left the inside and backside open to use for trail trash. I think they're stronger and can take a hit better than a stock door just like that.  :twocents:
Low & Slow 84 PU - http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=31982.0
Central Valley Crawlers

unclejpl4x4

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 348
  • Male Posts: 3,522
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Broke & rusted
    • View Profile
    • myspace
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #7 on: Apr 13, 2009, 06:03:15 PM »
I think just welds some stuff in   make a cubby hole and cup holds
build thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39214.0
CB install http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=45467.0
roundeyes http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=33294.0;highlight=round+eyes
LC exhaust head 2 tip, EB RVstreethead O/S valves,EB  268c/torker cam , .20 over , metal t-chain wear pads
MARLIN clutch 1200, master clutch cly

jji [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since May '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Apr 13, 2009, 07:43:01 PM »
yeah I decided I am going to cap the top with sheet metal and put on some strong welds to give it some strength. I'm a little strapped on cash anyways so that looks like the best way to get some desent half doors. thanks for the input. I'll post up some pictures on my progress in a bit.