Author Topic: From the Stupid qustion dept  (Read 3746 times)

GrimReaper

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 58
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
From the Stupid qustion dept
« on: Sep 21, 2004, 09:33:11 AM »
I feel like an idiot but here goes
will 32's fit my STOCK as in no lift 86 4Runner with 15x8 with about 3.5 inch back space  589knockoffs?

My truck rids like hell at speed. Very low mile Laradeos on it when I bought it (235 75 15). Ton of weights on the wheels. That tells me at least 1 of 4 things. Tires are crap, Rims are bent, the guy ballancing the wheels was drunk or the machine was off.

Buddy has a set of BFG 32 KO's with about 75 % tread CHEAP! 4wp had some Eagle 589 knock offs for $300. Need to smooth it out before I tear up the IFS.  Will it fit without mods? Till I'm ready to get the SAS done next year I really don't want to cut anything. Probably go with a set of 33 muds in the futrue but these may make a good set of street tires. for a year and then sell them when I get the lift done.

Ok Stupid Question 2

Roof rack bars. What can the topper gutters handle? I'm starting to ride my bikes again for health reasons and now have a 11 year old getting a new 26 inch for her 12 Birthday in a week. 454 Burb tow rig for camper that has my other racks permently attached to the Serengettie Rack. 10MPG sucks! Looking at some Yamika (sp) roof racks for the 4Runner and needs to handle 3 Schwins (the Bike riders get this but for those that don't.......cheap heavy bikes).

SWAMPER

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 790
  • Male Posts: 3,599
  • Member since May '04
  • Semper Fi
    • View Profile
Re: From the Stupid qustion dept
« Reply #1 on: Sep 21, 2004, 10:24:20 AM »
I dont know if you truck could fit those tires...just crank up the Tbars and add a small block to the rear....and the factory roof rack for my 4Runner holds up to 100 pounds  :turtle:
1985 Toyota Pick/Up longbed...bobbed 15",  lifted 5", 36's.....http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=36992.0

brainlessfool

• It's not my problem if you can't hear the voices too.
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2730
  • Male Posts: 4,207
  • Member since Jun '02
  • drive fast or the devil may get ya
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #2 on: Sep 21, 2004, 10:41:35 AM »
you could put a bumper tube tow hitch on and get a rear bike reack, thats what I use on my 83  :twocents:

:ladys-man:
A good day working, that's just sick :reg:

GrimReaper [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sep 21, 2004, 12:55:11 PM »
you could put a bumper tube tow hitch on and get a rear bike reack, thats what I use on my 83  :twocents:

:ladys-man:

I haven't found one for $45 that will handle three yet. The cheep one they sell at Wally world is $90 by the time you pay taxes.  I have found Three Yakama tracks that should fit my Baracrafter roof rack bars used for $45 and I bet I can get all three for $35.  It a question of I'm being a cheap b*std.  :gap:

The 32's are $200. He says 60% but they look more like 80% to me and I have had a set before. Light toyota, they got another 50k on them.

Toyoballs

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -164
  • Member since Dec '03
  • The Slow and The Dangerous!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sep 21, 2004, 03:01:51 PM »
I had 31" BFG's on a stock 86 truck and never had any problems with contact or gearing and they rode sweet, 32", well may have to tweek the t-bars a few turns but that's about as large of tire I'd go with on a stock rig. If they don't work - sell'em
I got crappy tires on my 86 4 runner stock size , came with wheels (FREE) and they ride like crap and make a wopping noise that drives me nuts. Good tread on them but I hate them and I found another set (FREE) to replace them with, hope it aint the same story
Just Grind It Down To Metric...

"MAKE IT OR BREAK IT"
Extreme Off-Road Club

Mike D

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 122
  • Male Posts: 1,902
  • Member since Jun '04
  • MMMMMMMMMM........
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #5 on: Sep 21, 2004, 03:13:50 PM »
31 with no rubbing and 32 with rubbing
87 runner, 4" trailmaster lift, 33" TSL/SX, 5.29's V6 e-locker, 22re that cost too much

anthony1

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 34
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawling with Marlin installled AA 4:1 :-)
    • View Profile
    • 954runner
« Reply #6 on: Sep 21, 2004, 05:33:54 PM »
I was using stock alloy rims with 32's BFG A/T..they only rub at full turn other than that, it's fine.

88runner

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 756
  • Member since May '03
  • Click me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sep 21, 2004, 05:43:20 PM »
hey just got an i  :idea:

attach 2 bike together wiht some piece of tubing between them to make a 4 wheel bike then atach it to the back of the tow truck with a strap or something and there you go, no need for a bike rack. just put ther 3rd one in the back of the truck. :shocking: :shocking: :disturbed:

88 4runner v6,
5.29 with 35" tires,
Isuzu Rodeo rear disk brake,
t-case hand brake in near futur
solid axle'd

Fireimp141

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 786
  • Member since Aug '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sep 21, 2004, 07:55:48 PM »
I have an 86 toyota 4runner, i got add-a-leafs and torsion bars, and i run 33's,  you can run 33's fine witha 1" body lift, but i got a 3" just for shits and giggles. but i run 33's and they only rub at full turn, i cut my fenders up a lil, took off my valance and bumper ends and its alright, not much wheeling for now. my rear is fine but the back of the front fenders rub a bit ;) but thats with stocker bumpers and stuff, no weight added :thumbs:
86 Toyota 4runner, 33X12.5-15 Aurora RT/02's on Series 97 15X10 rock crawlers, 3" performance body lift, Rancho RS5000's... Soon to be Marlin 1200 Clutch, tube bumper front and rear, nerf bars and roof rack... future plans include SAS 5.29's detroits!

I am the Amazing Turtle! and I'm awarding you 49 points, increasing your Turtle Points!

Fireimp141

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Aug '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Sep 21, 2004, 07:57:22 PM »
O and also you can fit 33X12.5 on 15X8 rims, i got 4 new 97 series rock crawlers from 4wheelparts for $200 and they are 15X10 just cause
86 Toyota 4runner, 33X12.5-15 Aurora RT/02's on Series 97 15X10 rock crawlers, 3" performance body lift, Rancho RS5000's... Soon to be Marlin 1200 Clutch, tube bumper front and rear, nerf bars and roof rack... future plans include SAS 5.29's detroits!

I am the Amazing Turtle! and I'm awarding you 49 points, increasing your Turtle Points!

Skinny_Pedal

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 89
  • Male Posts: 2,833
  • Member since Apr '04
  • work so I can support my lifestyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #10 on: Sep 21, 2004, 09:35:51 PM »
my truck up front has room for 32's. they would rub though in turns. i would need a shackles or add-a-leaf out back
Im an OG

GrimReaper [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sep 22, 2004, 12:37:00 PM »
When they rub is it hjust on the pastic inner fender or is it actually hitting the fender?

I plan on a 2 inch body and drivetrain but wanted to hold off on that till I am ready to make my bumpers. Looks dorky with 2 inch body and big gap on the bumpers. Maybe I'll have to get over it and go ahead and get my bumpers done right away. Looks a little enemic on them 235/75 15 on 15x7's 32 11.5s and less off set 15x8 would make it look a little more tough.  :eyebrow:

I was looking at doing the shackles because it has a little sag. The dork that put the new exhaust on before I bought it has it in the wayof a longer shackle. I will need to redo the tail pipe to change the shackles. Maybe I'll just throw a extra leaf in and see where that gets me. I might be doing chevy 63's in the rear in the future and using the rears on the front when I do the SAS so that gives me the excuse to get the extra pack I will need. If I go that route then the exhaust would be fine where it is even with the 63's.

So nobody knows on the topper gutters what they will take?

Fireimp141

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Aug '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sep 23, 2004, 08:00:58 PM »
They rub on the inside fender, not the steel outer, but the fiberglass or w/e on the inside. and also i had massive sag in the rear, like 4.5" difference, and i put in an add-a-leaf and it corrected it!

reklund5

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 286
  • Male Posts: 1,263
  • Member since Nov '03
  • I love my Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sep 23, 2004, 08:31:59 PM »
You cannot put ANY load on the raingutters on the fibreglass topper on your 4Runner.  Take it from me, they'll break right off!  Get some artificial raingutters made from steel and bolt them thru the topper and clamp your Yakima towers on there.  They are made for installing Yakima racks on camper shells and will provide the strength you need for your 'Runner.  The factory raingutters on the 4Runner aren't load-bearing, and are really just decorative.  I've got a buddy with a 4Runner with these installed...I'll try to get a picture if you need.

ryan

'84 Hilux, locked, dual-cased, winched, EFI converted, 37" tired, half-doored (in the summer...)
'87 Supra, 400 HP.  smooth as glass at 130 'cause my tires are NEW!...
'92 F250 Diesel, tow rig, ATS Turbo, leveling kit, killer stereo

GrimReaper [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sep 24, 2004, 06:20:38 AM »
You cannot put ANY load on the raingutters on the fibreglass topper on your 4Runner.  Take it from me, they'll break right off!  Get some artificial raingutters made from steel and bolt them thru the topper and clamp your Yakima towers on there.  They are made for installing Yakima racks on camper shells and will provide the strength you need for your 'Runner.  The factory raingutters on the 4Runner aren't load-bearing, and are really just decorative.  I've got a buddy with a 4Runner with these installed...I'll try to get a picture if you need.

ryan

Thanks. Thats exactly what I needed to know. Leer place has the  brackets. Maybe I will do like I did on my Burb and just go junkyard some tracks from a roof rack and use expanding nuts into the topper.

BTW if you want some LONG roof rack tracks check out the late 80's Cherokee. They run the whole length of the roof on a Cherokee. About 6.5ft long. They would have to be cut down to fit a 84-89 Runner topper.

Now the bummer is I already have the gutter racks. Had them for years...Ohh well.

jvministries

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -13
  • Male Posts: 100
  • Member since Sep '03
  • 84 dual23's elock front/detroit rear 4:56/ and so
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sep 24, 2004, 07:15:45 AM »
I ran 33's on a stock leaf truck for years with no lift and a whole lot of scrubbing
but you get used to it and learn to drive with that in mind and you'll be ok
I drove it like that because of fundage for about a year and a half until I got the body lift
and from there is has been an adventure to say the least I've had my truck for 20 years now
no cutting of the fenders either I don't like the cutting idea much

and about the racks you better just go get the right thing to mount it or fab some up
I don't want your three bikes flying through my windsheild at 60 miles per hour
or have to swerve at that speed to dodge them( can you say roll over)

good luck with it
too much spent to go slow
too much spent to stay low
too much spent on the go
but it's fun you know

GrimReaper [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sep 24, 2004, 09:23:54 AM »
and about the racks you better just go get the right thing to mount it or fab some up
I don't want your three bikes flying through my windsheild at 60 miles per hour
or have to swerve at that speed to dodge them( can you say roll over)

good luck with it

Thats exactly why I was asking what that thing could take. I just ran accros a used Surco rack and it may end up on the Runner with a set of roof racks track style to keep it clean. Use well nuts into the boxed area of the topper so the bolts are not visible inside.

This is my suburban with a Sernegettie on it. The racks on the actual boddy are from a Jeep Cherokee. They are mounted exactly like they would be on the Cherokee with a set of Nut inserts into the steel roof.  In the basket is a set of bike racks. Needed the big rack to handle a small generator and 5 gallon fuel can as well as eventually 4 bikes. I didn't want the generatot and gas inside either the camper or the Suburban. This is our prime mover for our 22ft camper and will be the tow rig for the 4Runner once its ready for the trail.

Skinny_Pedal

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 89
  • Male Posts: 2,833
  • Member since Apr '04
  • work so I can support my lifestyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #17 on: Sep 24, 2004, 10:54:06 AM »
i have thule load bars. i only put my skis on there for the winter, and surfboards in the summer. i wouldnt put anything else on the stock rain gutters.
Im an OG