Author Topic: 3rz power steering and fuel lines. AHHHHH!  (Read 2125 times)

ChrisA

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 30
  • Member since Feb '08
    • View Profile
3rz power steering and fuel lines. AHHHHH!
« on: Feb 18, 2009, 10:19:04 PM »
So WTF?! I've been trying to get the fittings to make some custom fuel lines (one from pump to fuel line, and one from fuel line to engine) and a power steering line (made from one end of the old line and one end of the 3rz line).i've been to three places so far, two industrial hydraulic stores and a place that specializes in hose and hose fittings and all I get is "we don't carry those(inverted flare fittings), those are specialized". Major exercise in frustration. :maddest:

This is what i'm working with.

Need a fuel line from the fuel pump(tank M12x1.4 male inverted flare, I have the female fitting for this) to the main 5/16 fuel line(male 5/16 inverted flare). I know its odd to have an SAE and a metric but i thought "gee since I'll be making new lines its no big deal" WRONG!.

Next is a line from the 5/16 supply line (same 5/16 male inverted flare) to the fuel filter on the engine(banjo fitting which I have).
Simple enough right. Where can I source these fittingd? and will a push lock fitting be good enough? good to 250psi or so right?

As for the power steering line.....i don't know where to start. I decided to cut the 3rz line in half to take a gander at what was underneath the rubber and to my surprise there was a metal line.....how does that work? is that normal? I am also having a really hard time getting the fittings off the ends, but I think thats because they are the crimp type fittings the crush the hose to almost nothing.Can I reuse the ends from the old hoses? because i'd like to take the 45* fitting from the old 22r engine and use that in conjunction with the banjo type fitting for the 3rz.
Same thing with this line....when I finally get the fittings off the ends where can I get the parts(crimp sleeves, hose, etc)? preferably a place online as i'm done driving to all corners of San Diego looking for these things :(

Thanks much!!!

ChrisA [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 30
  • Member since Feb '08
    • View Profile
Re: 3rz power steering and fuel lines. AHHHHH!
« Reply #1 on: Feb 21, 2009, 09:54:14 PM »
TRAGEDY AVERTED!

So after visiting my 6th place and calling my 12th I hit the Jackpot for under $100. I called an automotive  repair shop who had a mexican dude who ran his own hose business out of a cubby hole in thier shop. He had all the goods, and I got outta there in 45 minutes, for just under $100 with all my fuel/PS hoses.
  :clap2:

Steve_925

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -86
  • Male Posts: 1,876
  • Member since Feb '07
  • F***in catalina wine mixer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Feb 21, 2009, 11:26:17 PM »
i just had this same delima. i just bought the 5/16 line cut and took off the fitting that came on it, and then got a m12 fitting off an older fuel line i had and flared it on the new 5/16 line. i dont know if its the right flare but its not leaking
1973 HILUX build up-------> http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=48133.new#new

UA 342
STEAMFITTERS

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 22, 2009, 12:39:25 AM »
would this have helped?

http://www.perfhosedist.com/
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~