Author Topic: Little to big?  (Read 3011 times)

Mike D

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 122
  • Male Posts: 1,902
  • Member since Jun '04
  • MMMMMMMMMM........
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Little to big?
« on: Sep 13, 2004, 03:12:12 PM »
Well tomarrow i am getting an 85 straight axle for 150 bucks. i already have my complete lift and tires decided but it may be to big. So here it is. 38.5" TSL/SX swampers with fox air shox all around(pic below) I'll be running 5.29 gears with marlins SHD clutch I am just worried about falling over and being able to keep my speed on the freeway. cause a few guys told me that my 22re wouldn't roll the 38.5's very good considering this is my daily driver. ???
« Last Edit: Sep 13, 2004, 05:56:04 PM by Mike D »
87 runner, 4" trailmaster lift, 33" TSL/SX, 5.29's V6 e-locker, 22re that cost too much

Hyena

• I'm Legit!!!
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2401
  • Male Posts: 6,715
  • Member since Feb '04
  • AKA Baja Brad
    • View Profile
Re: Need your opinion!
« Reply #1 on: Sep 13, 2004, 03:56:16 PM »
You should run it and see for yourself.  I think it would have enough power but you won't be a speed demond.

Mike D [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jun '04
  • MMMMMMMMMM........
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #2 on: Sep 13, 2004, 05:23:20 PM »
Yeah i thought it would have engugh power to but i just have to make sure.
87 runner, 4" trailmaster lift, 33" TSL/SX, 5.29's V6 e-locker, 22re that cost too much

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Turtle Points: 2158
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #3 on: Sep 13, 2004, 06:29:58 PM »
What kind of tubing is that? If its some water pipe then it's gonna be pretty heavy. So can you make that thing street legal? (headlights/brake lights/mudflaps/etc)
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

Mike D [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jun '04
  • MMMMMMMMMM........
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Re: Little to big?
« Reply #4 on: Sep 13, 2004, 07:27:19 PM »
oh no thats is a buggy that shortbus made i am just going to use the exact same suspention

Makohon

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 83
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sep 17, 2004, 07:07:07 PM »
My buddy is running 38.5 by i think 16 and he flies on the freeway, yes on the hills he slows a bit but not much at all, he does have a new engine though.... but n e ways... if ur familliar with northern cali he flew up to cow mountain doin between 70 and 80 with no prob. later man and good luck! oh by the way i think hes running the stock gears... i think those are 4.10's i think but later dude!
91 std cab, flatbed, 35 mtr's, aussie, 5.29's, 4.7's, twin sticks

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sep 18, 2004, 01:05:22 AM »
i think those are 4.10's

If he's got 4.10s in between his 38.5" tires, then im sure he uses 3rd gear to cruise on the freeway and 2nd for the hills. If he was doing 70 uphill, then that could have been 3rd gear at 3,600 !! For most of us, that's our 4th :o
4th gear is pretty tall at 70mph = about 2,500rpm, forget about 5th, 70mph just over 2,100rpm, no way.

WHITE_TRASH

• Turtle Points: 679
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Don't blame me, I didn't vote for this crap.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sep 18, 2004, 05:59:11 AM »
Mikey you gotta remember that some people beat the hell outta their rigs to keep speed rather than slow way down.  I dont shift till 5600 in the 90 and Im running a worse combo than he is. :greengrin:
Full hydro, 186:1 with an auto and 44's what could go wrong??

Brandon

• Hawk
  • Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 193
  • Member since May '02
  • I believe in Life before Death
    • View Profile
    • www.RiverCityRockCrawlers.com
« Reply #8 on: Sep 18, 2004, 10:49:17 AM »
i think those are 4.10's

If he's got 4.10s in between his 38.5" tires, then im sure he uses 3rd gear to cruise on the freeway and 2nd for the hills. If he was doing 70 uphill, then that could have been 3rd gear at 3,600 !! For most of us, that's our 4th :o
4th gear is pretty tall at 70mph = about 2,500rpm, forget about 5th, 70mph just over 2,100rpm, no way.

that's pretty much my gearing, just that I have 37's and it is about perfect :)

Then again I don't run squirrel power anymore he he
Brandon Miller
RCRC, Sacramento, CA
www.RiverCityRockCrawlers.com

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Sep 18, 2004, 11:22:06 AM »
Mikey you gotta remember that some people beat the hell outta their rigs to keep speed rather than slow way down. I dont shift till 5600 in the 90 and Im running a worse combo than he is. :greengrin:

** I just first want to say that what I am writing is simply my opinion that I've learned from Marlin. So dont take any of this to heart because im sure there are hundreds of people who do rev it and dont have many problems?? maybe?? :dunno: ***

WT: Are you serious?! :thud:

I dont care if youve got the 3VZ-F or the 22R-E you are cRaZy!! I learned how to drive when I was about 12 in Marlin's truck and he always told me to never ever exceed about 4,000 rpm with his engine. We've got this crazy guy here in town who loves the snow and I watched him once - he was screaming his 22RE to redline on every shift! I COULD NOT BELIEVE IT. Im sure he's on his tenth engine by now. The internals hold together ok, but its the valve clearance that will go out really fast and the timing chain will waste the plastic guides in a matter of months and will eventually chew through the timing cover and into the water jacket; then you will dump coolant straight into your crank case and then the engine's about done.

Marlin's engine (about 7 or 8 years old and around 160k on HIS REBUILD) (that has been to Moab over 10 times and all the way to GSMTR in Tennessee (remember we live in California) 3 times!!!!!) I bet it can't even manage to rev past 5,000 right now if you just put your foot into it at an idle. Im sure it would run out of efficiency somewhere up there. But for your EFI, Ive never tried but of course its making it, but man that's just not good.

When ever I take Marlin's truck up some big mountain on the freeway, I will try to conserve as much momentum and pull 4th as long as possible. But once I loose the powerband for 4th, I will downshift to 3rd and just hang it at 4,000rpm. Even if it can keep pulling past 4k, i will never let it. 3rd gear at 4k is ruffly 55MPH. So I will just tinker the rest of the way at 55. But Marlin says that this will save the engine in the long run. He always says "dont scream my engine, it's not your MR2" :yupyup: and he is right in my opinion.

So I just have this one last question to everyone who screams their R engines: How do ya like the rod knock you get every time you start it up? :_order:

Marlin's truck is as quite as ice at startup. No noise at all and the oil pres comes up immediately. Its almost 200k on HIS Rebuild and it still has very good clearances. I want to see someone rebuild an engine and drive it everywhere like Marlin and go 160,000miles. Heck, my best 4A rebuild only got me 12,000 before I lost my headgasket and cooked the poor thing. I cant ever imagine rebuilding an engine and getting almost 200,000 miles; that's like a factory engine!!

:twocents: :twocents: :twocents: :twocents: :twocents:

Skinny_Pedal

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 89
  • Male Posts: 2,833
  • Member since Apr '04
  • work so I can support my lifestyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #10 on: Sep 18, 2004, 01:06:00 PM »
170000 on my re. never rebuilt. i drive it hard cause im a young punk. it sees 5 grand often but i usually shift it around 3 grand :twocents:
Im an OG

WHITE_TRASH

• Turtle Points: 679
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Don't blame me, I didn't vote for this crap.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sep 18, 2004, 05:10:27 PM »
I realize that r series engines are not made for high rpm but for low end torque.  Im from the school that beats it, blows it up and builds another one.  I dont hold till 5600 on everyshift by any means but if Im going up a hill or trying to get out of a big mud hole, absolutely Ill hit redline and beyond everytime.
Full hydro, 186:1 with an auto and 44's what could go wrong??

88runner

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 756
  • Member since May '03
  • Click me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sep 18, 2004, 05:33:11 PM »
hey BigMike that what the rev. limiter is there for.

On my previous truck, I got some minor problem while crossing a 5' deep water hole the motor drank some water and the ecu had water in it(didn't check it).
well the 3vz was running like :pokinit: until i discovered that when I had the pedal to the floor it ran much nicer so guess what I did the rest of the trail, last obstacle was a 200' mud hill, yup floored it all the way to the top  :o the rev limiter was popping like hell but the engine never had a trouble after that, I sold it to a guy close to me and he has nothing to complain about it.

what kills the engine is not going in the red zone for a couple of second unless the engine is already in bad shape. :_oops:
88 4runner v6,
5.29 with 35" tires,
Isuzu Rodeo rear disk brake,
t-case hand brake in near futur
solid axle'd

Mike D [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jun '04
  • MMMMMMMMMM........
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #13 on: Sep 18, 2004, 07:39:01 PM »
yeah my motor has 62k on it and it is out of a wrecked 94 pickup 2wd. but i am going to have 5.29 front and rear with marlins shd clutch and a new flywheel and i don't have a tac but i pretty shure i never hit past 4k.