Author Topic: Feast Or Famine (Decisions Decisions)  (Read 2533 times)

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
Feast Or Famine (Decisions Decisions)
« on: Jan 28, 2009, 11:36:09 AM »
Well after almost six weeks without work I finally started working back at The Home Depot, money is Ok and I have always loved working with people there. So I started this week and no sooner than I started a couple of the other places I sent my resume to called me for interviews and so starts my problem. I have great opportunity for advancement at the Depot but one of the interviews tomorrow puts me in a great position but with an unknown advancement situation. Of course with my attitude I figure the same will work out there to but still it is uncharted waters and I don't know where it may lead. But it is an extremely secure job since it will be back in a governmental entity and I can probably finish my working career there. The other is another corporate situation and again I know that my advancement is pretty much assured with my management backround.

I've only been back at The Depot for two days and currently planned if I take one of these other jobs not to leave but to just scale back and mold my hours there to fit my schedule if I get one of these other jobs.

Now if I get the government job I'll be maintaining a large fleet of buses, not a big deal but I haven't done much diesel work so I'll be on a learning curve but am pretty confident I won't have too much trouble since I can do regular maintenance to one. Hopefully I'd be moved into a supervisory position but the benefits and retirement is of course unbeatable. So if I'm offered this one I'm taking it.

The other is going to be somewhat low pay to start doing automotive repair for a big chain but I know I'll be in the management end in a few months since I know the store manager and will be training for my own store down the road on the cuff with him. Right now this would be my second choice since the government job are way more stable than any other.

Now the problem here is there were several people that helped get me back into the Depot that if I just left again would be hurt, and the auto repair one would be hurt too.

I figure the government job will take a while to process (paperwork) so it may take a month to complete. The auto repair will probably start me this coming Monday since the interview process at this point is just customary and we are just going through the motions so that it doesn't look like some sort of favor is being given to me.

So I'm going to take the repair job, still work for the Depot and see how the government job pans out, currently I see that one working out too since I've been in that system before and for the most part they know that the screening process will go smoothly and I've already done the extensive backround investigation for the Dept Of Defense and the City Of Los Angeles.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the bus deal, I do the 1st interview tomorrow at 9:00a, the cool thing is I already know the drill, they'll be several people asking me questions to see if I have the metal to deal with the public in the political ball sense.

What am I going to do!!!

Oh well  gotta go to work at THD now so :wave:

Just remember to keep putting in those applications, don't give up in these hard times and it will work out. I was getting worried for a while there and now I almost don't know what to do if I get the offer for the maintenance job since I'll be doing the other two almost for sure by then.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

KYOTA

• Turtle Points: 1759
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Wreckin Ball '09
    • View Profile
Re: Feast Or Famine (Decisions Decisions)
« Reply #1 on: Jan 28, 2009, 11:39:33 AM »
I thought you owned your own shop ?

Rocksurfer [OP]

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #2 on: Jan 28, 2009, 11:57:24 AM »
My brother went back to his drugs so I bowed out as fast as I could get it done. No money is left and everything we did get disappeared. It was a sad deal. 

Toymin8r

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 50
  • Male Posts: 929
  • Member since Dec '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 28, 2009, 12:02:55 PM »
Government jobs have good benefits and a great pension plan - one that can't be touched by ex-wives, lawsuits, etc.  nuff said.
YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE
AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU HAVE AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.

BeccaLoo24 – i can toss grown men.... so dont doubt me

iNfErNaL

• El Presidente
  • Turtle Points: 109
  • Male Posts: 7,509
  • Member since Aug '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 28, 2009, 12:04:54 PM »
Wow , that's a tough one Ron . Sucks about your bro , I have no real advice to offer other than don't regret whatever decision you make , just go with it  :thumbs:
WWW.GLOBALOFFROADSUPPLY.COM

Support Your Local Brawlers
 www.RockBrawlers.com 

www.offroadtruckshow.com

KYOTA

• Turtle Points: 1759
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Wreckin Ball '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 28, 2009, 12:06:00 PM »
that sucks sounded like you had a good thing going and were settling in finally. everything happens for a reason right? so something better must be coming your way!

edit: x2 on the gov job, my dad worked for the government all his life, we always had the best insurance etc. and even though he's been gone since '84 my mom still gets his pension (which is a very comfortable to say the least)

red

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 199
  • Male Posts: 1,616
  • Member since Jan '05
  • irish redhead texan, interesting combo
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #6 on: Jan 28, 2009, 05:17:07 PM »
Government jobs have good benefits and a great pension plan - one that can't be touched by ex-wives, lawsuits, etc.  nuff said.
nope an ex-wife can take it, at least military she can.
read and comment :whip:

USAF EOD tech

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jan 28, 2009, 05:19:32 PM »
nope an ex-wife can take it, at least military she can.

That's simple...just don't get an ex-wife! Next time...I'm just gonna find some broad I don't like and give her my house.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

RokCrawlinToy

• Crawler of Rocks
  • Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 4214
  • Male Posts: 1,030
  • Member since Apr '04
  • Thermobaric Urban Destruction
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jan 28, 2009, 05:23:38 PM »
I'd go with the govt. job. Gotta be safer than any jobs that are a corp. these days.

blackdiamond

• Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,058
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jan 28, 2009, 05:50:15 PM »
I work for the government (Department of the Navy) and the job security is really nice, especially with the economy crashing.  I'm on 25% mandatory overtime while other people are losing their jobs on the outside.  The healthcare benefits are nice, but I can't say that the insurance is the best.  The last year our rates have gone up and what is covered seems to have gone down.

I wouldn't recommend going into business with your friend, working with friends when you have expectations can lead to former friends and disappointment.  If you think the Home Depot gig will last a while I'd take that over promises from a friend.  There is a say that you shouldn't do business with family and friends are just the next step.

:twocents:

My uncle was "let go" by a long time friend a while back, it sounded like an ugly situation.  If the economy continues to struggle another shop may close making it difficult to expand or advance.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

germ

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 349
  • Male Posts: 733
  • Member since Dec '04
  • Work sucks, I'm goin' wheelin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jan 28, 2009, 10:02:16 PM »
It is nice to be in a position to choose, but making the choice can be difficult. Sounds like you've got your ducks in a row however, and the only one I'd be somewhat skeptical about would be the shop one. I'm sure THD doesn't pay the greatest, but it sounds like it's flexible. Also sounds like some folks pulled some strings to get you in so quickly, so I certainly understand the feeling of responsibility/loyalty. It also sounds like you have some time to make the decision. The Govt job prolly won't start for 1-2 months, and you could do THD and the shop for a while.

I'd be upfront with those who have helped you, and let them know that this govt thing is cooking. Not in a way that makes it sound like you're going to absolutely take the job if you get it, but just casually in conversation. That way if it does materialize, you could just say that it was too good of a deal to pass up, and they wouldn't feel like you blindsided them. I think if they are really friends, they would be happy at your opportunity. Guarantee there are people lined up to take your place at THD, and they could fill the position if they needed to.

Hope the best whatever choice you make.

Erik
* Regardless of what happens, someone will find a way to take it too seriously.
* 2% rule: Must be 2% smarter than what your working on.
* If you make something even a fool can use, only a fool will use it.
* I've been crapping in the woods longer than lil'buddy has been alive!

Rocksurfer [OP]

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #11 on: Jan 28, 2009, 11:57:22 PM »
I wouldn't be going into business with my friend but just working for him until I get my legs within the company and get my own gig with them. If I get the bus deal then all bets are off I know the benefits of working within the government system and the benefits it will bring so that's a no brainer. As to the Ex getting into the mix, well I don't have an Ex, I've been married to the same woman for over 30 years and don't think she's going anywhere.

Oh I almost forgot, the buses are not diesel they are Eco friendly natural gas and hydrogen units, though they do have some old units they no longer use that are diesel.

Well it's almost midnight and I've got my interview at 9:00a so I need to get some sleep.

:sleepy:

:crossed:

germ

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 349
  • Male Posts: 733
  • Member since Dec '04
  • Work sucks, I'm goin' wheelin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jan 29, 2009, 10:00:26 PM »
Well...we're waiting for updates....How'd it go????????
* Regardless of what happens, someone will find a way to take it too seriously.
* 2% rule: Must be 2% smarter than what your working on.
* If you make something even a fool can use, only a fool will use it.
* I've been crapping in the woods longer than lil'buddy has been alive!

Rocksurfer [OP]

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #13 on: Jan 31, 2009, 12:56:58 PM »
Well for the government position I found out that out of all of the applications taken for a solid month I was 1 of only 9 people that they were going to interview for the job. After they are finished they will pick one (me) and that person has the job. Won't find out until sometime next week and then I will have to go back in for the second interview and of course the customary piss in the cup routine.

I should hear about the other thing by Monday.

I knew this was going to happen, I'm gonna hate starting a job and then maybe leaving a week later if that happens. Hopefully the process takes just as long with both since they pretty much require the same things.

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jan 31, 2009, 01:01:54 PM »
good luck rocksurfer!!!!!!!! you gotta do what you gotta do sometimes to keep food on the table for the family
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Rocksurfer [OP]

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #15 on: Feb 02, 2009, 02:07:47 PM »
I knew this was going to happen, I got offered the job for the auto technician job and of course took it. Now I hope I can still work at The Depot to make up for the lost time. I had my interview with the bus tech job and they are going to let me know this week. I still hope to get the bus tech position over any other so of course it they will be the last to chime in.  :crossed: