Author Topic: door panels?  (Read 2817 times)

hotrod

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 15
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
door panels?
« on: Jan 27, 2009, 10:11:39 AM »
So the doors panels on my 83 have just about had it. Would like to put something a little more durable back in instead of that cardboard stuff that toyota used. Does anybody have any suggestions or pictures of custom panels?
David - 83 SR5 longbed, 20/22r, locked f/r, w-56, 33 km2

All_Set

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -145
  • Male Posts: 543
  • Member since Mar '04
    • View Profile
    • Blue Ribbon Coalition
Re: door panels?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 27, 2009, 10:52:31 AM »
Search 1/2 doors on here and on pirate.  Some really nice stuff out there.  The door panel is flat, makes it super easy.  Use the old torn up one as a template to get you in the ballpark. 

Personally, I'm inclinded to leave the panel off as the bottom of the door is a great cubby hole to store stuff in.

If you would like to help save the Rubicon, send money to the Rubicon Trail Foundation

Hawk Thor

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Male Posts: 112
  • Member since May '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 27, 2009, 11:33:42 AM »
You could use thin fiberboard, aluminum or sheetmetal. IŽd use the chance to put some tarmat in the doors and on the new panels to eliminate rattles and make better use of your speakers. You should put some fabric on the panel, use a carpet from a partscar or get some audio install fabric, that makes the doors much nicer when its freezing or when the sun is shining on the doors. You can either line the new panel up exactly like the old one and reuse the clips or you can use screws.

hotrod [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 27, 2009, 12:47:25 PM »
dang, im an idiot, i didnt even think of lookin at half doors  :slap:

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 27, 2009, 03:34:34 PM »
Here are some that I made for a set of half doors, instead of oem clips I used screws and a crown washer.

I use 1/8" paneling when making new panels for doors and half doors, and then wrap in vinyl.  The paneling is thin enough you can use the oem clips.They don't look to bad when finished, just smooth w/o any patterns.
Not the best pics, but the only ones I have of a full panel.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

hotrod [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 27, 2009, 07:54:30 PM »
those look very nice! one question though, what did you do for the rubber window molding that was attached to the old door panel?

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 28, 2009, 12:53:31 AM »
Thanks.
The 1st and 2nd non SR5 models didn't have the extra trim on the upper section of the panel, and some of the DLX's didn't either so I didn't have to worry about that for those panels.  However I have repaired the upper section panel on friends doors.  When re-covering the original panel I left enough material so I could fold over the top edge of the door.  I then glued(using liquid nails, you could use contact cement after sanding the paint a little) the upper section to the door.  Once the glue dried I cut out the areas(of the vinyl) that the oem weather strips pop into. 

If you don't want togo through the extra work, you could also just repaint that section and just go w/the non SR5 style panels.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

Mnmstoy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 50
  • Male Posts: 230
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Mike's 80Toy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jan 28, 2009, 05:50:17 AM »
here is a pic of mine. at the time it was my hunting truck.

I used a sheet of plastic. It looks just like card board but made out of plastic.
I cut the hole for the window crank, door handle and arm rest before I put on the camo.
On the material leave about 2" over hang. Spray front area with up hostelry spray (let it get tacky).
apply evenly. Flip over and spray the edges ( about 2") and fold over.
cut a "X" where the door latch/opener goes. fold over and spray the backside for the material to stick to.
Your done. 
Let dry.
To mount them I used my soldering gun to make the holes on the panel for sheet metal screws, window crank and arm rest.
If not the material tends to snag with out the holes.
Mike

Side note. I used the same material for my dash pad. Same thing applies. That up hostelry spray is good glue. I believe 3M makes it.
6 years later (the panels are gone...half doors now) and the camo material is still holding good.
« Last Edit: Jan 28, 2009, 06:04:21 AM by Mnmstoy »

hotrod [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jan 28, 2009, 08:01:39 AM »
thanks for the ideas guys! im gonna hit up the picknpull this weekend and maybe they'll have some non sr5 doors  to look at for the weather stripping.

Yoat Goat

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 37
  • Male Posts: 731
  • Member since Aug '07
  • Someday my truck will look like this
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jan 29, 2009, 04:06:44 PM »
This is what I got. Some aluminum panels, ya kinda see what is going on there. Had a matching dash piece but it was bent pretty bad so I got a stock replacement.  :thumbs: Also, took out the seats for a stocker bench, prolly gonna put in some civic seats here in a bit...
T urning
O ver after
Y ears
O f
T rail
A buse