Author Topic: 35s to 37s?  (Read 1308 times)

tufluv82toy

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Feb '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
35s to 37s?
« on: Sep 07, 2004, 10:22:29 PM »
runnin a built 22r with 5.29 gears and 35 in x terrains. Im curious to how much more a 37in mtr would weigh? On high altitude hill climbs (over 6%) I cant quite hold 4th gear and the downshift to 3rd slows me down because of rpm.... I can hold 55 but thats at about 4000 rpm! I was thinkin if the weight isnt that much different i could use 3rd more and keep my speed up slightly (along with the added ground clearance) Seems in 3rd gear i have all the power i need and the slight increase in tire size would allow me to run about 60-65? Any Ideas? Am i thinkin wrong? Anyone with experience? thanks for the help guys... tufluv

reklund5

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 286
  • Male Posts: 1,263
  • Member since Nov '03
  • I love my Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
Re: 35s to 37s?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 08, 2004, 06:55:25 PM »
I also run a built 22RE and have 37's...it doesn't seem to matter much- I shift around a bunch too on long climbs.  I found the best solution was to buy a tow rig and a trailer.  And I HATE the idea of a trailer queen... :smack:

Ryan

'84 Hilux, locked, dual-cased, winched, EFI converted, 37" tired, half-doored (in the summer...)
'87 Supra, 400 HP.  smooth as glass at 130 'cause my tires are NEW!...
'92 F250 Diesel, tow rig, ATS Turbo, leveling kit, killer stereo

Hyena

• I'm Legit!!!
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2401
  • Male Posts: 6,715
  • Member since Feb '04
  • AKA Baja Brad
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sep 10, 2004, 08:27:12 PM »
I love trailering my toy.  I can beat it up and not worry about having to drive it home.  I have a 22r, 5.29's and 35's but my engine is lame and has no power.  So i don't think i could be any help.

jvmin2

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Member since May '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sep 11, 2004, 09:15:41 AM »
you could always do what i did swap in a bigger engine and have all the power you need. just get the right transmission from the start.

No the bigger tires though will probably not help very much since they will weigh a little more and the compound is soft as well on those. makes a huge difference on the road.

wind resistance will be a little more as well

and you will have more turbulance under the truck from it being a little higher too. all these things figure in when your pushing your engines limits at speed. more torque is the answer and the 4cyl just don't have it in it with out a whole lot of money spent on it.

so you are probably going to have to be happy with what you have or upgrade the engine compartment with more bucks

the tires might help a little but it will be very little

bigger, wider, softer tires raise the truck for more wind resistance, the softer compound offers more rolling resistance, and the wider part contributes to both of these. 

we are talking high altitude which hinders performance too and an incline

when you say built 22r what are you saying?
high performance cam, header, modified fuel system, high rpm cam, low end torque cam, shaved milled decked heads, forged poptop pistons, stroked crank, balanced blue printed, catback, roller rockers, double spring sets, built could mean a lot.

but you can't build a low end torque engine and use it for high altitude high revving street racing and expect good results same goes for the oposite of this. a high rpm racing cam and engine components and built for top end will not do lugging around the trails.

I ran 4:88's and 33's with the 4cyl and did ok but when I went to the 35's the thing was a dog.

then I swapped in a v6 and the tires and gears were too much I dropped back to 4:56 gears and can run 5th doing 80 or so with plenty of power.

the new 3.4's offer lots of power and can be swapped in with a little work

just my 2 cents but I like power. I wish I had all the money I wasted on building up the 4 banger to a whopping 145 hp since my new stock engine has 160 or so with out the mods I made. now it's well over 200 and gets about the same on the gas mileage as the 4cyl did.

so keep switching gears and save your money the tires won't help I don't think
or better yet find someone with a set and swap them out for a test run and see if they help
do you know anybody with 37's or you could just use this as a really good excuse to upgrade to 37's

Hyena

• I'm Legit!!!
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2401
  • Male Posts: 6,715
  • Member since Feb '04
  • AKA Baja Brad
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sep 11, 2004, 08:09:58 PM »
My firends running a rebuilt 22R, 37's and 4.88's and he can go fast up hills then i can.  It depends on how the engine is running.