Author Topic: Where to start my 1982 Project  (Read 7440 times)

SeanFoster

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 26
  • Member since Feb '09
  • 2nd place is 1st loser!
    • View Profile
Re: Where to start my 1982 Project
« Reply #30 on: Feb 12, 2009, 07:53:09 PM »
:welcome:
It sounds like you are serious about this and have some money to spend on it. I would recommend reading a bunch of build threads. You want to get a firm picture of what your end goal is. If you don't you will spend money on mods and then more money latter to upgrade them. Many people spend a lot of money on their first truck learning and then sell things at a loss to rebuild it. For example if you get duel stock cases now when you upgrade to 4.7 rear case you will want 23 spline and will have to buy a new coupler for your adapter. Little things like this add up quickly.

I totally agree!  My end goal would be to build it to be a pretty extreme crawler.  I am researching as much as I can and I am going to go with however the current setup is until I can get, and install, the parts I will want to have in there in the end.  For example, I will use the stock transfer case by itself until I can get dual cases with 4.7 (23 spline) in the back as you said, rather than dual stock and a future upgrade.

Right now the best investments you could make would be a welder and a torch or plasma cutter.

Are you reading my mind or what?  I was just discussing this exact topic with my wife at great length earlier today and she agrees that I need them badly since many upgrades and reinforcements are made with parts that are welded on.  The question is this: torch or plasma cutter?

As for the truck getting a dual case set up with 23 spline 4.7 in the rear would be safe upgrade as you will eventually do this anyway. It sounds like this is not a daily driver so weld the rear gears and get some used 31"-33" mud tires. This set up will take you 99% of the places you want to go.

I've heard of welding the gears but I'm not sure of which gears.  Would it be the gears in the differential so that they are permanently locked?  Is this the best option if I plan on only driving it off-road?

How many miles on the motor. Check the compression and valve clearance and carb. If you buy a new motor now you will regret it latter if you want more power and decide to do a motor swap.

I'm not sure how many miles are on the motor.  I know that my dad said that it was recently rebuilt but he doesn't think the carb was adjusted correctly and they put a bb in a vacuum line to get it to pass smog.  Also, it had a problem with overheating.  I'm thinking that I could rebuild it, but wouldn't it be better to get a 22RE?  One excellent reason for rebuilding it rather than getting the 22RE is because I already have it and it would be the cheapest route.  My question is this:  Am I going to be limited because of the carb?  Won't I run into problems when I reach extreme angles? 

As for bigger things like axles, gears, and lockers once you have decided what you want look for used axles already built. Toyota axles are not great for holding their value and if you wait for a deal you can get what you want used for half of what it would cost new.

That's the truth!  I found a W56 transmission for only $200.  Of course being new, I don't have any experience with how much this transmission should go for, but that seems like a really good deal to me.  As long as it is in good shape, I should be good to go in that department.  My dad also said that he has "heavy duty rear axles." I'm not too sure if they are made by Toyota or what.  I'm pretty sure that they are in an extra axle housing so at least there are a couple spare parts.

Anyways, here is what I know for sure:
1)  Although there is another heavier-duty, lower-geared transmission, I'm going to go with the W56 for now.  I may possibly want the R151F later, but my primary goal right now is to get rid of the L45.  The 4-speed just doesn't seem like it will cut it.  Besides, I think the W56 will do fine and I will only replace it if I have problems doing what I'll be doing with it.

2)  My tire size goal will be 37".  For now, I will put as big of a tire as I can get on the rims that are currently on it and go wheeling as much as I can with those.

3)  As I had stated earlier, I will use the stock transfer case and differentials by themselves until I can get dual cases with 4.7 (23 spline) in the back.  This will go to 5.29's in the differentials.  I am pretty confident in this setup based on what I've read.

4)  I am definitely going with the Hy-steer and crossover steering setup using the IFS steering box.  I don't see how I can really go with anything different in this department.  One quick question:  would I do well to find a 2WD truck at a junk yard and use the IFS steering box off of it or is it better to get the whole upgrade new?

The thing I am the most unsure of is the engine.  I'm not sure if I want to rebuild what I have, replace it with a 22RE, or prepare for something bigger (V6 or V8).  I love the track record of the 22R/RE so I'm leaning toward staying with it and then I could eventually build a buggy and then put a V8 in that.  If I do rebuild what is in it, I could stroke it and bore it out a little to add some more low-end torque which would no doubt be of some help.  Plus, I've rebuilt engines before and although they were airplane engines, I had a blast doing it!

I really appreciate the suggestions from everyone and I am sure that many pitfalls and wasted money will be avoided due to all your suggestions.
1982 Toyota SR5 4x4. . . bone stock and waitin' to be built!

"A man is not made by the age of his body, but by the wisdom of his soul."

Check out this 13-year-old man!

Jordan7118

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -21
  • Male Posts: 1,105
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Feb 12, 2009, 07:57:11 PM »
would I do well to find a 2WD truck at a junk yard and use the IFS steering box off of it or is it better to get the whole upgrade new?

NO!!! 2wd boxes are different. Don't use any of their steering stuff.

SeanFoster [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Feb 12, 2009, 07:58:19 PM »
P.S.

That is a vary nice starting platform. Think about bobing the bed or you will drag  :moon: every where you go.
Can't wait to see this get built. :flamer:

I'm probably going to just take the bed off and build a cage.  That's what my wife wants me to do too.  I love it that she is so into this as well!  :rockingout:  It's nice to have a cheering section.  :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

SeanFoster [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Feb 12, 2009, 08:01:40 PM »
NO!!! 2wd boxes are different. Don't use any of their steering stuff.

Okay, gotcha.  Thanks.  It sounds like you just saved me from a grave error. 

dniel

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 194
  • Member since Feb '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Feb 12, 2009, 09:20:20 PM »
A torch is cheaper and probably more flexible in the long run but takes more skill to opperate. I'm a hack so I bought a plasma. :cheese: Spend the extra money and buy quality tools. Miller Makes exellent welders and plasma cutters.

Welding the diff means welding the spider gears together so both tires turn at the same speed all the time.

The biggest decision to make up front is tire size and axles. If you want to run 35"-37" on a light weight rig stick with the toyota axles. If you think you will end up running 40"+ and a powerful motor build dana 60s from the start. 60s cost about the same to upgrade as toyota axles but buying the axle can be expensive.

Fix the over heating problem on your 22r. If you fix this it will sputter and choke along forever but overheat it badly once and it could be ruined.

As for engines the 3rz (tacoma 4 cyl.) and 4.3 (chevy truck v6) are both popular swaps. They are both reliable and make good power. The 3rz will bolt to a w56 with a tacoma bellhousing. I am in the process of putting a lexus v8 in my truck. These motors are cheap but it would be a tight fit if you want to keep your factory sheet metal and it is also much cheaper to run an auto with them.

I have never had a truck with a carb but many on this board run them. If you can narrow down the problem someone can probably help you.
1uz-fe, 1 tons, 44" tsl

SeanFoster [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Feb 13, 2009, 11:24:06 AM »
Fix the over heating problem on your 22r. If you fix this it will sputter and choke along forever but overheat it badly once and it could be ruined.

That's the problem.  I think it may have overheated badly.  I'm not sure.  Anyways, How reliable is the Chevy 4.3 swap?  I may go that route.  Where is the best place to get the engine?  Also, which transmission is best for it?  I'm just throwing these questions out there.  I will also search the board (and Google).  Thanks.

SeanFoster [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: Feb 13, 2009, 01:11:05 PM »
Okay, I decided what I'm going to do with the engine issue:  I'm going to rebuild what I have.  It's just too much fun to pass up.  I'll order all the things I need from engnbldr.com (including a new Off Road H/O head with the 261° "C" camshaft) and then find a good local machine shop in Fresno or Clovis.  Anybody have any recommendations?  Only thing is that I have an '82 block but it says this head is for '85 - '95.  I wonder if this will be an issue . . .

Update:  Crap, I just found out that the '85 block is longer than my '82 :smack:.  Back to the drawing board!

dniel

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 194
  • Member since Feb '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Feb 13, 2009, 06:21:38 PM »
The early 22r are not longer they just have a different block and are not compatible with the latter years. If you have decided to go with the 22r I would get a latter model (87+) with fuel injection. The 87+ have the check connecter on the engine harness and this makes the swap much easier. Since you have money to buy parts and the know how to rebuild the motor look around for someone parting out a truck with a blown motor. Make sure you get the engine harness and any little stuff you need. Craigslist is good for stuff like this. If you are willing to wait a little while you can get very good deals.

Many people think LC eng. is overpriced and over rated but I have no personal expieriance with them. Just get a new head with bigger valves and rv cam from EngineBuilder. He sells these at a very reasonable price and has an exellent reputation. Combine that with a high flow air filter and a header and you will get good performance and reliability on mostly stock parts.

Engine swaps are fun but you can't go wrong with a 22r. 8)
1uz-fe, 1 tons, 44" tsl

Rocksnail

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Male Posts: 595
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Feb 14, 2009, 10:21:22 AM »
check out Fresno Performance, i know the people that work, they do good work.  there in the church and cherry area. The engine builder / mechinest know alot about 22r /re and can build them quite good.
1993 4door  s10 Tahoe. 4.3 th350c duel toys w/4.7 rear, D60 front 5.13 welded. 14Bolt rear 5.13 mini spool,hydro assist, TG 5HD front springs, 63s out back. h2s with 39x14 17 Pit Bull Madd Dogs

SeanFoster [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Feb 16, 2009, 12:03:58 PM »
Okay, so what is the general opinion of Chicago Electric with regard to their TIG welder and their cutting/welding torch kit?  I know most will say, "go with Miller," but I would prefer not to spend so much on a welder.  Also, I prefer to go with TIG since that is what I am most familiar with.  I've looked all over for used Miller welders and they are all well above $1,000.  Any thoughts?

On another note, I have decided to go with an '87+ 22RE.  I can't wait to get started but it is snowing badly up here . . . still! We've gotten one foot in the last few hours!  It's driving me nuts!!! :eyecrazy:
« Last Edit: Feb 16, 2009, 12:10:19 PM by SeanFoster »