Author Topic: flex-a-lite fan vs stock?  (Read 7762 times)

jsrusse11

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
flex-a-lite fan vs stock?
« on: Sep 13, 2004, 11:50:04 PM »
my 88's 22re has been over heating after long drives and i'm looking to give it some upgrades.  are the flex a lite fans worth getting?  are they enough better then stock to be worth it or should i just look into something else.  they seem like a cheap upgrade that might be worth while.

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2205
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
Re: flex-a-lite fan vs stock?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 14, 2004, 12:40:00 AM »
It is worth getting for the following reasons:
- It saves gas mileage by freeing power that was lost due to the resistence of the mechanical fan connected directly to the engine
- Once you're traveling at high speeds, it usually doesnt even come on because air is naturally flowing through
- It maintains a cooler temperature at an idle or at very low speeds because an electric fan is not dependend on engine rpm for air flow
- Can be setup with a timer to allow air flow after shut down

It is not worth getting for the following reasons:
- Once the fan motor dies you are :censored:
- It places a normally unneccesserry load on the alternator and charging system
- Ive seen blades shatter and ruin radiators, however this is very rare. Shouldn't be a problem with higher quality fans
- Another reason for an electrical fire
- Requires an additional electric theromo switch to trigger it

I would say that the benifits outweight the disadvantages. And if you are worried about the motor dieing, then simply carry a spare 12v motor with ya, problem solved.

But listen, this will in no way cure your overheating problems. If it somehow does cure your overheating problems, then you've got a more serious issue at hand, like a plugged radiator or a headgasket that is leaking water into the cylinder, and you are slowly loosing water.

Before I bought a new fan, I would check the silicon in your fan clutch. Make sure your fan has a good amount of resistence when the engine is off and cold, like in the morning. If the fan eaisly rotats and maybe even spins freely by itself, then this should be the cause of your over heating. See the stock fan clutch has a fluid that gains viscousity as it heats up. Once it reaches a certain temp, it automatically increases the resistance between itself and the water pump, and it grabs the fan and matches the fans speed to the engine's speed. This is what actually pulls the air through the radiator. Without this, not much air will be moving through and it could overheat. Its simple to pull the clutch off and open it up to add more fluid, just make sure you've got the right stuff.

Is your theromostat stuck in a certain position? In this case it would be stuck slightly in the closed position. Does it seem like recently it warms up quicker than normal on a cold morning?

Is your coolant mixture more than about a 90%/10% antifreeze/water? The more % of antifreez you run the lower the cooling efficiency of your cooling system. If you live in a warm climate, then I would advise more like a 30%/70% antifreeze/water mix; just use some deionized (filtered) water to ensure less deposits in the water to decrease the rate of corrosion within the system.

Have you tried Red Line's Water Wetter? I will be running 3 bottles of it in my 3RZ once I get it going on the streets. Track only vehicles are prone to using a 80%/20% water wetter/water mixture for maximum cooling efficiency on a demanding engine. But water wetter does not protect against freezing, so be advised.

Have you had your radiator flow tested? Is it loosing any water? Is your radiator cap holding the pressure or is your overflow tank overflowing?

Have you used a high pressure wash on your radiator to clean out dirt and dead bugs? Debris in the fins will dramatically reduce the amount of air flow and thus reduce the cooling efficiency.

If you have AC, is your condensor allowing enough air to flow through? or is it also dirty?

Have you installed a winch and it is blocking your radiator?

Is your engine running lean? This would increase the cylinder temps and place a strain on the cooling system. Is your gas mileage consistent or has it decreased lately?

When was the last time you flushed your cooling system?

Do you have any air pockets in your system? Specifically in the heater lines under the dash? Use the vent inside the engine compartment at the top center of the fire wall on the high pressure side of the cabin heater lines to vent out any possible air.

If you've replaced your water pump with a non-Toyota pump that uses plastic fins and you have over heated it a couple of times, is it possible for the plastic fins to have warped and possibly causing cavitation within the pump housing?

It could also be a badly worn out timing cover with pits on the surface that the water pump blades reside above. This is caused by runing old and sour coolant and by not taking proper service intervals over the cooling system. If the timing cover has many pits where the water pump bolts up, then the gap between the blades and the cover may have increased and will allow internal water cavitation, thus reducing the flow rate of the water through the entire system.

About the head gasket, have you ran a cylinder compression test and verified consistency between all cylinders?

Any moisture in your engine oil? Check under the oil cap for a white milky liquid.
Any oil in your cooling system? Check under the radiator cap for some grayish sludge.

If you do have traces of oil in your cooling system, then you may need to check and or replace most or all of your hoses that are involved with the cooling system. The rubber hoses used for the water lines are made of a natural rubber that will absorb any oil which causes them to swell and eventually expand and rupture. Make sure your hoses are firm when squeezed (:boobs:) and feel revalitively new. If they feel soft then they may have oil soaked inside of the rubber which will eventually destroy the hoses.

hmmmmmmm.............................
« Last Edit: Sep 15, 2004, 10:17:35 AM by BigMike »
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

jsrusse11 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sep 15, 2004, 09:28:14 AM »
thanks for the help i'll looking into all that.

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sep 15, 2004, 10:16:27 AM »
Good luck- :beer:

GrimReaper

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 58
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sep 15, 2004, 12:29:31 PM »
Mikes a smart guy and ead on. Its not your fan unless the over heat problem is at Idle. If you moving and over heating the problem is somewhere else.

If it's happening at Idle then it might be a bad fan clutch. In that instance then yes the electric would cure it if it pulls enough air.

You want to see something weird how about a hydraulic powered off the power steering pum fan that is electronicly controlled.  :screwy: That's what they run on a lot of the 1Jz powered Supras and on the Crisidas in Japan. It moves some SERIOUS air. The second it's cooled it goes off just like an electric. Very neat but over complicated.

SWAMPER

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 790
  • Male Posts: 3,599
  • Member since May '04
  • Semper Fi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sep 15, 2004, 12:40:00 PM »
Danget guys the one of the few times I know the answer to someone elses question and you beat me to it :snare:

Well newb....their right...its not your fan because like Mike (<-- :snare: ) said it shuts off at higher speeds

Keep us posted :beerchug:
1985 Toyota Pick/Up longbed...bobbed 15",  lifted 5", 36's.....http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=36992.0

Brandon

• Hawk
  • Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 193
  • Member since May '02
  • I believe in Life before Death
    • View Profile
    • www.RiverCityRockCrawlers.com
« Reply #6 on: Sep 15, 2004, 01:29:01 PM »
I run a V8 and my fan doesn't even turn on on my driven to work and home - the moving air while you drive is all you need. BUT if you are on the trail and it does you are screwed, like I was last weekend. Luckily it was a connection but I did blow some sort of seal from overheating because now I leak antifreeze daily - I need to fix it and I am HOPING it is just the tstat housing gasket but it might be the timing cover..
Brandon Miller
RCRC, Sacramento, CA
www.RiverCityRockCrawlers.com

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sep 15, 2004, 07:37:54 PM »
:smack: I hope its nothing to serious. Brandon has one hell of a sick rig!

SWAMPER

• Member since May '04
  • Semper Fi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sep 15, 2004, 07:46:44 PM »
Yeah you REALLY need the fan on the trail....even braking a couple of blades off mess you up....trust me I know  :headshake:
1985 Toyota Pick/Up longbed...bobbed 15",  lifted 5", 36's.....http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=36992.0

Mike D

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 122
  • Male Posts: 1,902
  • Member since Jun '04
  • MMMMMMMMMM........
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #9 on: Sep 15, 2004, 07:53:34 PM »
I would just go and buy a low temp thermostat like 160 degres
87 runner, 4" trailmaster lift, 33" TSL/SX, 5.29's V6 e-locker, 22re that cost too much

SWAMPER

• Member since May '04
  • Semper Fi
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sep 15, 2004, 08:03:06 PM »
 :slap: No Mike D .....his problem might leed to other problems if left un-atended  :headshake:

Mike D

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jun '04
  • MMMMMMMMMM........
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #11 on: Sep 15, 2004, 08:08:29 PM »
well we don't know what his problem is it might even be his thermostat. thats is what was rong with my bros 88 22re and my friends 94 explorer and his volvo. so i give this back to you :slap:
87 runner, 4" trailmaster lift, 33" TSL/SX, 5.29's V6 e-locker, 22re that cost too much

Mike D

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jun '04
  • MMMMMMMMMM........
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #12 on: Sep 15, 2004, 08:09:09 PM »
Oh and my 87 22re

SWAMPER

• Member since May '04
  • Semper Fi
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sep 15, 2004, 08:13:43 PM »
Well I return it to you dear sir :slap:  I did not say NOT to get a Thermo. if that was what is wrong with it....i said to figure out what is wrong and fix it....so if its the thermo. to change it....and while hes at it he can do what you said and get an upgraded one :thumbs:

Mike D

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jun '04
  • MMMMMMMMMM........
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #14 on: Sep 15, 2004, 08:17:07 PM »
I broke my fan in 4 feet of water and didn't have enuogh money to buy a new clutch so i just bought the 160 degree thermo and not a prob :thumbs:

SWAMPER

• Member since May '04
  • Semper Fi
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sep 15, 2004, 08:20:55 PM »
Cheap bastid....go to the junkyard  :duh:

Brandon

• Hawk
  • Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sep 15, 2004, 10:11:06 PM »
:smack: I hope its nothing to serious. Brandon has one hell of a sick rig!

thanks Mike :)

I dunno, changed the tstat gasket tonight and if you've ever played with a 5.0 (probably any SB ford) it's a pain in da booty!!

I have been driving to work lately, man it's a rush..

I dunno if it is the asphalt on the street near my work or what but I can be cruising at say 1500rpm second gear and 15 mph or something and step on it and gets all silly and both tires break free (of course they do it has a spool).

And if there is water on the road and it is a slow road man I just can't help myself!!

I am gonna need to ditch the spool come winter though, but my truck sees about 25 miles on the highway everyday now :)

Brandon Miller
RCRC, Sacramento, CA

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sep 15, 2004, 11:49:01 PM »
I broke my fan in 4 feet of water

yikes. I was thinking about this too, so I will have a override switch in my cab to turn off the fan. I will have a 2nd temp sensor set at a "higher-than-normal-temp" that will go around my override switch incase I forget to turn it back on, and to turn on the 2nd fan if the engine is generating more heat then the one puller can handle, as I plan to have 1 pusher and 1 puller, with the pusher being the backup or severe use fan.

GrimReaper

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Sep 16, 2004, 07:38:32 AM »
I would just go and buy a low temp thermostat like 160 degres

Nope thats a bad idea on a FI truck. The ECM is calibrated for a temperature to run most efficeint and if that temp is not reached it may not go into "Closed Loop" where it uses the O2 sensor to make it's mixture adjustments. This could lead to poor perforamance AND failing emmissions. 210 degrees is still an exceptable temp. My Suburban specs a 195 degree thermostate and the AUX electric fan doesnt come on till 225! This is a truck with a 10,500lb tow capacity.

Put in the recomended temp thermostat. Toyota designed the ECM to work with that temp.

Brandon

• Hawk
  • Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sep 16, 2004, 08:28:32 AM »
I put in a 180 when mine specs a 197 but the fan doesn't kick on till 200 so it goes between the temps, or stays at 180 on the highway. Just gives a tad more leeway for error. I dunno, no problems so far :)
Brandon Miller
RCRC, Sacramento, CA

GrimReaper

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sep 16, 2004, 10:43:56 AM »
I put in a 180 when mine specs a 197 but the fan doesn't kick on till 200 so it goes between the temps, or stays at 180 on the highway. Just gives a tad more leeway for error. I dunno, no problems so far :)

180 is probably high enough to keep it closed loop. If you have low winter timps it might be a bit low. Remeber the rating on the Thermostat is the rating fully open not the rating of when it begins to open.

Somtimes there is a little odd problem that will happen. 160 Thrmostat may cause it to run hot. How can that be?!?!?!!? The thermostat restricts the flow. If the flow is too fast the coolant will not spend enough time in the radiator to shead the heat it picks up from the block. SB 400 GM enging is notorious for this. 180 Thermostats they are over heating. 195 and they will hold 190.  :screwy:

Mike D

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jun '04
  • MMMMMMMMMM........
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #21 on: Sep 16, 2004, 02:29:17 PM »
right now i am running a 160 degree thermo and passed emmisions two weeks ago

Brandon

• Hawk
  • Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sep 16, 2004, 02:42:16 PM »
I passed the referee with NO tstat and the egr wasn't even hooked up  :ack:
Brandon Miller
RCRC, Sacramento, CA

brainlessfool

• It's not my problem if you can't hear the voices too.
  • Turtle Points: 2730
  • Male Posts: 4,207
  • Member since Jun '02
  • drive fast or the devil may get ya
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #23 on: Sep 16, 2004, 03:12:58 PM »
  You want to see something weird how about a hydraulic powered off the power steering pum fan that is electronicly controlled.  :screwy: That's what they run on a lot of the 1Jz powered Supras and on the Crisidas in Japan. It moves some SERIOUS air. The second it's cooled it goes off just like an electric. Very neat but over complicated.

hey, that's just how the fan on my 98 Thomus bus works!  :cheer:
A good day working, that's just sick :reg:

GrimReaper

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sep 17, 2004, 06:28:24 AM »

hey, that's just how the fan on my 98 Thomus bus works!  :cheer:

Loud as hell isn't it? My kids bus has that set up. That bus will pull up and be so quiet.  It will start to take off and that fan will kick in and it sounds like a Jet engine. 

SWAMPER

• Member since May '04
  • Semper Fi
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sep 17, 2004, 06:36:40 AM »
But it cools :thumbs:

brainlessfool

• It's not my problem if you can't hear the voices too.
  • Turtle Points: 2730
  • Male Posts: 4,207
  • Member since Jun '02
  • drive fast or the devil may get ya
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #26 on: Sep 17, 2004, 08:54:15 PM »
 :yupyup:
A good day working, that's just sick :reg: