Author Topic: Jeep/Toyota  (Read 5808 times)

StCroix17

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jan '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Jeep/Toyota
« on: Jan 14, 2014, 03:04:52 PM »
My question is why do mosst toyota owners hate on jeeps or so it seems? i own a 98 cherokee 2 door 5 speed with the 4.0 i6 and just recently bought a gem 89 runner that was repainted and undercoated with 160k on a 22re  cureently rebuliding the motor because piston ring and chunk inbetween two compression ring grooves broke off and scored the wall, 4000 miles after i did a hg and had the head cleaned surfaced and had it dye tested everything was good. My cherokee i have literally beat the snout out it with no lift and wheeled in some tricks spots heres the catch bought the xj with 245k it now has 298k why so much hate?

JackKnife

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 94
  • Male Posts: 20
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
Re: Jeep/Toyota
« Reply #1 on: Jan 14, 2014, 03:38:34 PM »
I've never met a Toyota owner that hated Jeeps.  I personally love the full size ones from the early 70's.

However, I have met several Jeep owners that hate any import vehicles.

Zane

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -20
  • Male Posts: 164
  • Member since Nov '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 14, 2014, 04:13:46 PM »
in my limited experience most of the hating is tongue-in-cheek. wheeling is wheeling and most guys get that. I have never seen a toyota guy leave a jeep stranded or vice versa.

toyodaaddict

• Online The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 399
  • Male Posts: 1,147
  • Member since Sep '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 14, 2014, 05:26:12 PM »
my experience with jeeps is limited to 1 yj and 2 cherokees. my only real complaints are d35,d30, spring under, those damed torques screws, the need for sye and a few other odds and ends that made me wounder wtf. not to mention the cost involved in building one compairable to a built yota, but hey im a toy guy. the standerd jeep body is great in the woods and id love to own a willys (3rz/toy trans/axles of coarse). what pisses me off about 'jeepers' is the  endless  trash talk from the clueless mall/bar crawlers who have never had there store bought bolt on jeeps on a trail and never will.that said iv witnessed some serious dicks driving toyota as well so realy i have nothing against jeeps or guys that wheel jeeps infact my main wheelin buddy runs a yj and id be happy to share the trail with a jeep anytime. wheelin is wheelin and if ya dont get that thats to bad.
80 shortbed-22re,w56,Marlin 23 spline dual cases,HighAngle drivelines,RUF/63"chevy's,35''mtr's,30 spline Longfields, Allpro highsteer.87 rear axle,5.29 gears,rear spool,BudBuilt cm, marlin HD clutch,ramsey 8000 winch. 
     https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=101882.0

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #4 on: Jan 14, 2014, 06:43:44 PM »
It is more like Jeep owners don't like Toyota owners, if you notice there are more "Jeep Only" clubs around than "Toyota Only" clubs and the Jeep only clubs tend to stay exclusive while Toyota only clubs don't mind if a non Toyota tags along on a run. Most Toyota owners are only reacting to the arrogant elitism of the Jeep owners. Now don't get me wrong there are plenty of Jeep owners that have no issues with any other 4x4's but there are some that are anti Toyota, those are the people I'm referring to. Most just have a friendly rivalry. 
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

86bobbedtoy

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 686
  • Male Posts: 3,938
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 14, 2014, 09:43:11 PM »
ive owned both, and currently own a built toy and a tj. a lot of jeep owners dislike imports. and are into muscle cars and hp.  another angle, jeeps cost big bucks stock and even more to build, just a longarm RE lift is 3000+  some think they are better than import guys. in the end people will be people!!!! Toyota guys see the little dana 30s and 35s broken and keep that thought of jeeps. but I don't think any would leave the other stranded just cause what they drive. I do get a kick out a badas$ built jeep that will never go offroad, such a waste. but its theres to do what they want.

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 15, 2014, 01:45:50 AM »
The Toyota vs. Jeep thing predates the Toyota trucks, it started with the FJ Landcruisers vs. Jeeps.  Jeep owners viewed the FJ owners as invaders to their trails, and belittled the FJ's for being Japanese made, which is where the "Toys are for boys and Jeeps are for men" saying came from.  The Jeep vs Toyota trucks is just the FJ fight carried over, and actually back when I first started wheeling the Toyota trucks were seen as invaders by both the Jeep and FJ crowds.  Neither group wanted to share the trails with us, but since we were Toyota's, the FJ crowd was a little more open to us, and once.  With the Toyota trucks being cheaper to own/build than FJ's, and more reliable/and as capable/more so off the shelf than Jeeps, it didn't take long for them to become the popular rig of choice, which just added to the animosity between the Jeep camp and the Toyota camp. 

Don't be too quick to judge the reliability of your Toyota yet, you don't know what kind of "Tool" the last guy that worked on it was before you got it.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

StCroix17 [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jan '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jan 15, 2014, 12:54:49 PM »
love all the responses i am  a big jeep being my first 4wd and mostly beacuse of that 4.0 i6 and theyre pretty simple to work on. However jeep did some pretty head scratchin things when they built them. I will also admit that early toyotas were built much better than jeeps period. All the factory skids on a toyota and the sye should be enough to conclude that, for the most part i think they both have their ups and downs just couldnt figure out why people seem to argue which is better, when they should be out on the trail lol. Also for the Dana 30 its a pretty tough axle and if you trussed one itd be just as strong as anything youd need thats what i plan on doing with mine.

R.DesJardin

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 680
  • Male Posts: 489
  • Member since Mar '08
    • View Profile
    • RADesigns Products LLC
« Reply #8 on: Jan 15, 2014, 04:53:59 PM »
I've had both and wheel with all, some of the XJ guys didn't find humor in my "Jeeps are cute, Barbie drives one" sticker, but Oh well. I have to say I like the Toyota better and the Jeep guys keep me in money to do the mods I want to my truck.  :greengrin:
What I liked about the Jeeps were they were short, what I didn't like about them was they were short.  :headscratch:
R.DesJardin
"If I didn't live in the middle of nowhere!"

2RZ-A340F-Duals-locked FR/RR-IROK's

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Turtle Points: 2243
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #9 on: Jan 15, 2014, 05:58:24 PM »
in my limited experience most of the hating is tongue-in-cheek. wheeling is wheeling and most guys get that. I have never seen a toyota guy leave a jeep stranded or vice versa.
X2. I would say it's teasing each other and having fun, but at the end of the day we are out there enjoying nature for the same reason. Fords, Chevy, Dodges, Jeeps, Suzuki, AMC... Super happy to share a camp fire with any of em :camping:

back when I first started wheeling the Toyota trucks were seen as invaders by both the Jeep and FJ crowds.  Neither group wanted to share the trails with us, but since we were Toyota's, the FJ crowd was a little more open to us
Snowtoy, I've been "wheeling" since 1983 when I was 3 yrs old so of course I didn't know what was going on, but your entire post sums up how the "elders" around me describe it all. I quoted the above because this I do remember from growing up and that is FJ40 owners looking down at Hilux / pickup owners because pickups are built for a light duty purpose with thinner frames and smaller engines, plus the FJ was 4WD before the pickup by almost twenty years.

What I liked about the Jeeps were they were short, what I didn't like about them was they were short.  :headscratch:
I feel the same way. They can out maneuver Toyota pickups but they are no comparison at climbing/descending.

This is a cool thread and really shows how cool this community is. All of you guys are alright in my book :ha_ha:

Oh, and by the way, JEEPS SUCK!

BigMike
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jan 15, 2014, 06:02:16 PM »
Marlin Crawler isn't only for Toyota. We have customers with domestic rigs with our Toyota transfer case products installed :turtle: :usa:

:cheese:

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #11 on: Jan 15, 2014, 07:05:30 PM »
...and who could forget this little Jeep to Toyota conversion...

....wait for it.

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #12 on: Jan 15, 2014, 07:09:54 PM »
 :driving: From this...

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #13 on: Jan 15, 2014, 07:11:07 PM »
:driving:  To this...

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jan 16, 2014, 12:21:29 AM »
jeeps cost big bucks stock and even more to build, just a longarm RE lift is 3000+  some think they are better than import guys.

Funny, that is what the FJ owners used as ammunition against the Jeeps, they came up with the saying "Jeeps are for boys who can't afford to build Toys".It is pretty ridiculous what Jeep owners are willing to drop on a stock rig, but then again when you have to deal with the Domestic auto

Toyota guys see the little dana 30s and 35s broken and keep that thought of jeeps. but I don't think any would leave the other stranded just cause what they drive.
Yes that was very common back when people basically wheeled stock rigs and 33's were the biggest tire wheeled, and is why the Jeep/Toyota thing took off like it did.  Toyota's were overbuilt rigs for the world market, not cheap as possible "what else are they going to buy" rigs for the American car buying market.  Back when organized outings were the norm, there were always awards handed out for the most twisted Jeep frame, and there were always several Jeep candidates for the awards, and the trails were tame by today's standards.  I can easily see where the animosity of the Jeep owners came from, it would piss me off as well if I was sitting there broke in my Jeep and some import rolled by without skipping a beat.  You should have seen the glares the first dual case rigs got on the trail when they climbed hills without spinning a tire, and the Jeep owners were having to bomb the same hill and not make it even with lockers.

As far as leaving Jeepers behind, I have only gad to do it a few times, due to them refusing our help, once had one owner say he would rather leave his rig and walk home then be pulled out by a Toyota, so we left him, 6 hours later when we were heading out he and his passenger were still trying to shovel their way out of the snow, it wasn't going to happen, nightfall was coming and the snow was hardening to ice.

I do get a kick out a badas$ built jeep that will never go offroad, such a waste. but its theres to do what they want.

I have a cousin like this, his rig has never left the streets, and a buddy's BIL bought a new Wrangler(Rubicon I think) with every option, then lifted/geared it and outfitted it with all the trail gear, wheeled it once on a tame trail and has never been back, but still talks a mean game about his rig.  I guess this is the 4x4 world's version of the guy that owns a Ferrari and drives it like a little old lady(and not one from Pasadena. :laugh:)

Snowtoy, I've been "wheeling" since 1983 when I was 3 yrs old so of course I didn't know what was going on, but your entire post sums up how the "elders" around me describe it all. I quoted the above because this I do remember from growing up and that is FJ40 owners looking down at Hilux / pickup owners because pickups are built for a light duty purpose with thinner frames and smaller engines, plus the FJ was 4WD before the pickup by almost twenty years.

Small engines, that's funny seeing how the FJ's couldn't even get out of their own way, I have always thought a cool project would be to restore an FJ40 and drop a 2jzgte w/twins in it, in stock form it would be an awesome sleeper.

'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

R.DesJardin

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 680
  • Male Posts: 489
  • Member since Mar '08
    • View Profile
    • RADesigns Products LLC
« Reply #15 on: Jan 16, 2014, 04:31:55 AM »
I do get a kick out a badas$ built jeep that will never go offroad, such a waste. but its theres to do what they want.
I can tell you stories of Toyota owners in the '80's saying/doing the same thing.

I'm at the dunes playing around in my new '82 Dodge D50 that I built up. Remember this is a brand new truck that I as a 22yr old hack up, lifted, blah blah.

New Toyota guys says "How do you get around in the dunes so well?"

Me in my D50: "You have a tach? Hold it at 3000 and go.

New Toyota owner: "It's too new" as he and his Smittybilt chrome idles out Toyota drives away and heads back to the mall.

Good times.
R.DesJardin
"If I didn't live in the middle of nowhere!"

2RZ-A340F-Duals-locked FR/RR-IROK's

86bobbedtoy

• Turtle Points: 686
  • Male Posts: 3,938
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jan 16, 2014, 08:12:55 AM »
lets keep this one going, I wheel either and both. few pics of priors, my first tj 488s no lockers kept up and dint even air down pullin goose out my last tj 488s arbs 4to1 35s again didn't even have to air down gotta get some of my old yota in here

Wainiha

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 743
  • Male Posts: 1,170
  • Member since Jan '12
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Jan 16, 2014, 08:22:17 AM »
I think any true lover of offroad vehicle will appreciate any brand vehicle if it is a good build.  I really like the flat fenders and CJ Scramblers.  I would trade my Tacoma, but I'd take an extra vehicle.

Edit: Wouldn't trade my tacoma.  I typed would.......WOULDN'T trade. :screwy:

« Last Edit: Jan 16, 2014, 01:04:28 PM by Wainiha »
2000 3.4L xtra-cab Tacoma.
Icon C/Os
Marlin 1200lb. clutch
Marlin short shifter
FLOODED...GONE

2005 4.0L xtra-cab Tacoma
King Resi C/Os and Total Chaos UCAs
Waiting on Marlin for the RA60 Short throw shifter...Hint Hint
FLOODED...GONE

2012 4.0L xtra-cab 4x4 Tacoma
Automatic...Don't shoot...
 King resi C/O
and Total Chaos UCAs

^ Who let Wainiha into the mainland?? :yikes: - Big Mike

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Jan 16, 2014, 12:52:56 PM »
Small engines, that's funny seeing how the FJ's couldn't even get out of their own way, I have always thought a cool project would be to restore an FJ40 and drop a 2jzgte w/twins in it, in stock form it would be an awesome sleeper.
Not to mention Advance Adapters made plenty of kits to fit Buick V6s and Chevy V8s under their hoods. I remember seeing many FJ40s with a Chevrolet badge on their grill (still do, just don't see many FJ40s anymore).

BigMike

H8PVMNT

• Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Jan 16, 2014, 04:30:41 PM »
I love Jeeps, they make me and my Toyota look good on the trail!

I wheel with alot of different rigs and while Toyotas are by far my favorite I've seem some pretty good Jeeps over the years.  It's all wheeling and all fun in my opinion. I get more flack from full sized guys around here. These are the same guys that break trying to follow my line though :).

“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

cbeers

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 4425
  • Member since Jan '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Jan 16, 2014, 05:03:19 PM »
My previous crawler was a 1972 FJ40. I used to work for BTB Products while going to school and it was a great way for me to learn and meet people too.  I converted my FJ to a SB 327, Saginaw PS, O/D unit, 35s (A big move back in 1990!) etc. and it was a beast.  As far as I knew anyway.  I could cruise at 80mph with one finger and full stability.  Had to sell it to pay for college (at that point University rather than JC) and I miss it like crazy but would do that all over again.

I always remember the "Heep" vs. Cruiser debate but would agree with the others that it was mainly just poking fun, nothing real about it.  We wheeled with all makes really and it was fun.

Can't wait to get out in the Runner now