Author Topic: should i buy this bed for my first gen?  (Read 1195 times)

mtsnow29

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jan '08
    • View Profile
should i buy this bed for my first gen?
« on: Apr 10, 2008, 03:26:28 PM »
there asking 350 for this bed about a five hour drive in really good condition. is it worth it? check it out!
 :headscratch:

http://spokane.craigslist.org/pts/617989802.html

All_Set

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -145
  • Male Posts: 543
  • Member since Mar '04
    • View Profile
    • Blue Ribbon Coalition
Re: should i buy this bed for my first gen?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 10, 2008, 03:37:29 PM »
$350 seems high to me.  If you really need a clean bed, and can't find one in your area, then go for it. 

Personally, I'm waiting for my bed to fall off so I have a reason to flat bed it, and any amount is *high*.  :D

If you would like to help save the Rubicon, send money to the Rubicon Trail Foundation

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Apr 10, 2008, 03:43:42 PM »
Its worth what you are willing to pay :thumbs:  

You're talking a 10 hour round trip, assuming 60 mph average (makes the math easier :gap: )  which means about 600 miles.  Using the GSA mileage reimbursement rate of .505 per mile, you're looking at spending about $300 to get the bed and to go home.  

The mileage reimbursement is used by the gov't to reimburse employees for travel expenses incurred on their vehicle.  Gas, other fluids, and general wear and tear are all figured in to get the amount per mile.  Granted, especially in this case, that it doesn't really apply, but it gives an idea of what something really costs when you have to go a distance to get it.  Now, your $350 bed is looking more like $650 when all is said and done.  Is it worth it?  Only you can decide.  Personally, I'd say no, because I've seen people toss beds away, because no one was interested.  
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

mtsnow29 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jan '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Apr 10, 2008, 08:46:56 PM »
true. weird enough... im glad i waited. i hoped on craigslist again tonight and luckily i found this one and its only about 30 minutes away. check it out. his is only a make me an offer. think i might go pick it up and then continue my build up of the blue bruiser. then my marlin lift. im pumped. :shocking:

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/pts/637700025.html

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Apr 11, 2008, 01:33:17 PM »
I could be wrong, but I don't think Toyota ever made a 4x4 w/a 7' bed, that looks like a 5' 2wd bed.  It wont fit your 4x4 any better than it does the one in the picture.

$350 is a bit high for a bed, but then again the place selling it is a parts yard so they charge more.  You can use 2nd gen import beds, their body lines line up pretty well w/the 1st gen trucks.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Apr 11, 2008, 02:27:10 PM »
I could be wrong, but I don't think Toyota ever made a 4x4 w/a 7' bed, that looks like a 5' 2wd bed.  It wont fit your 4x4 any better than it does the one in the picture.
the beds are the same length wise between a 4x4 and 4x2.... there isnt a 5' bed on any hilux or pickup truck, unless it was bobbed

the standard bed is 6' and the long bed was 7'
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~