Author Topic: Brake Line Breakage  (Read 1411 times)

RynothealbinO

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -15
  • Male Posts: 141
  • Member since Aug '06
  • 36's on no lift!
    • View Profile
Brake Line Breakage
« on: Apr 12, 2008, 01:55:14 PM »
Yesterday I had a rear brake line blow on me on the way back form work in my '84 'Runner.  I had slammed on the brakes to check road conditions and the tires locked up like I expected, but then my pedal fell to the floor and I lost all brakes after a few uses.  It is broken about 6" ahead  of the proportioning valve, but I can't tell if it is the top or the bottom line.  What are the two lines?  Are both under pressure, or is one a return line or something?  Is it possible to cut and flare the line so I can put another piece in, or do I have to replace the whole line, which I am assuming runs all the way to the master cylinder?  I really have not been able to look too closely at this yet because of time and weather constraints, so any help would be appreceated.  Also, what size is the line?
Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding, in all your ways acknowledge him and he will make your paths straight.  Proverbs 3:5-6  Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love and in purity.  1 Timothy 4:12

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
Re: Brake Line Breakage
« Reply #1 on: Apr 12, 2008, 02:03:08 PM »
Both are under pressure, 1 for the rear system the other is hooked into the front system so the load-sensing valve knows how much pressure there is in the front system.........

If the front one broke, you wouldn't have front brakes.
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

RynothealbinO [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '06
  • 36's on no lift!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Apr 13, 2008, 12:41:41 PM »
Does anybody know what the best way to go about replacing these lines is.  Replace the whole thing or can cut and flare it and put a new piece in?  Also, what size is the line?
Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding, in all your ways acknowledge him and he will make your paths straight.  Proverbs 3:5-6  Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love and in purity.  1 Timothy 4:12

Willy Mammoth

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 4,252
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Apr 13, 2008, 12:50:43 PM »
Does anybody know what the best way to go about replacing these lines is.  Replace the whole thing or can cut and flare it and put a new piece in?  Also, what size is the line?

Replace the whole line. You may need to get a couple lines and join them together with a connecter fitting.

Check the condition of the other lines while you are at it. If there is any rust pitting you should replace them.

I would pick up a double flare tool, bender and a tubing cutter so you can make a nice fit.

The line size is 3/16 for both the metric and SAE lines, but the fittings need to be metric for your truck.
:usa: American by birth, redneck by choice. 

Making Of http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=6472.0  

Sightings Of  http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=10805.0

RynothealbinO [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '06
  • 36's on no lift!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Apr 14, 2008, 11:06:15 AM »
Thanks for your help.  Now if I can figure out which line it is and find the time to replace it I will be set...