Author Topic: ***Sean's 85 runner build  (Read 6355 times)

70 Cam Guy

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 4
  • Male Posts: 115
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
Re: ***Sean's 85 runner build
« Reply #30 on: Feb 15, 2008, 09:46:09 PM »
When I tested my elockers on the bench, they engaged in a couple seconds or less.  They might be a little slower when they're in a housing but my friend's works great in his taco :thumbs:

either way, you'll be happy with a selectable locker

alpha_nett [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 30
  • Member since Jan '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Feb 24, 2008, 09:14:30 PM »
so, i have a LockRite in my 99 4runner. i really like driving with it, makes the whole truck feel really responsive. i cant really hear it "clicking" while turning, unless i try. its a DD and does not see anything hard core.
  but would a LR be something ok for the rear of my crawler? i know lots of people use them, but is that a price thing? what major benefits would a selectable locker have over a LR? (obviously a selectable can be put in the open possition[lets not get stupid]) but is this even needed for a trail-only purpose rig. (street driving only to and from)

so this is all geared toward anyone with a non-DD truck that does see some street to get to the close trails(trailered for long trips). what do you have? do you like it? what do you want to have, and why?

i am really trying to do this as close to right the first time.
i will throw down the cash, but that would suck if every time i wheel my selectable locker is locked. then whats the point. might as well get the LockRite.

any Negative info on LockRites? breaks? slippage?

2004 taco with E-locker, 1999 with LockRite
« Last Edit: Feb 26, 2008, 01:50:14 PM by alpha_nett »

alpha_nett [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Feb 26, 2008, 02:00:13 PM »
  so i have been itching to build a new rifle, my other obsession. i will probably be spending around $3000. and to make this happen a little sooner i was thinking that staying with my 4.88's. now this would be stronger, but with 37" tires what would it be like driving on the road? everyone with a 22re that i know runs 33"s or smaller. so i dont have any experience with it. as of right now i think i am going to stay with the 4.88's. this will mean that i wont be getting the ARB in the rear end, or the V6 third just yet. i think i will go with a Lincoln locker for now. this will give me the money to start my rifle. starting with a remington 700 .308, Mcmillian stock, heavy barrel, going to end up something like an M24, but a little better.
 love to hear what you think!

88_Pathy

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 65
  • Male Posts: 1,251
  • Member since Oct '06
  • Raised suspension
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Feb 26, 2008, 02:38:28 PM »
4.88+37"+22re=SLOW

Gittinit

• throttle jockey!
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 28
  • Male Posts: 2,293
  • Member since Sep '06
  • out from under my rock, and ready to roll
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Feb 26, 2008, 05:16:58 PM »
so, i have a LockRite in my 99 4runner. i really like driving with it, makes the whole truck feel really responsive. i cant really hear it "clicking" while turning, unless i try. its a DD and does not see anything hard core.
  but would a LR be something ok for the rear of my crawler? i know lots of people use them, but is that a price thing? what major benefits would a selectable locker have over a LR? (obviously a selectable can be put in the open possition[lets not get stupid]) but is this even needed for a trail-only purpose rig. (street driving only to and from)

so this is all geared toward anyone with a non-DD truck that does see some street to get to the close trails(trailered for long trips). what do you have? do you like it? what do you want to have, and why?

i am really trying to do this as close to right the first time.
i will throw down the cash, but that would suck if every time i wheel my selectable locker is locked. then whats the point. might as well get the LockRite.

any Negative info on LockRites? breaks? slippage?

2004 taco with E-locker, 1999 with LockRite
If your not dd the thing and just want it locked all the time you could just weld it and save yourself about 250.
Hug your kids, pray for a soldier, and don't sweat the small stuff.

my favorite places:
http://www.flatnasty.net/
http://www.orvpark.com/

– fortysixandtwo – sorry, i prefer marlin because aside from gittinit, no one is a know it all a hole

alpha_nett [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Feb 26, 2008, 05:19:14 PM »
4.88+37"+22re=SLOW
ha, i feel pretty slow now! how much slower could i be? remember, this is not a DD.
what would be my top speed? i can do 75mph semi-comfortably now. if i could at least get up to 60mph i would be happy. that way at least i could drive in the slow lane on the highway.

alpha_nett [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: Feb 26, 2008, 05:23:12 PM »
If your not dd the thing and just want it locked all the time you could just weld it and save yourself about 250.

yea, i think for at least now the rear is going to be welded up. that is if i stay with 4.88's. i think if i am going to buy 5.29's that i will buy the whole V6 third/5.29/arb or lockrite combo. just seems more cost effective.
 but if i stay with 4.88's its getting welded, and i will buy the v6 3rd/4.88/arb or lockrite combo later.

alpha_nett [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Mar 16, 2008, 03:19:04 PM »
found one of my favorite pics. my wife really does not like to drive off road. riding she loves, but it has taken me a lot of work to get her behind the wheel on the trail. she is just nervous 

tom w.

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Male Posts: 760
  • Member since Jul '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Mar 16, 2008, 03:41:28 PM »
ha, i feel pretty slow now! how much slower could i be? remember, this is not a DD.
what would be my top speed? i can do 75mph semi-comfortably now. if i could at least get up to 60mph i would be happy. that way at least i could drive in the slow lane on the highway.

Kind of an old post, but with the 37's you'll technically have a higher top speed. The only question is if you have enough power to reach that top speed.

I have 4.56's and 35's, and it wasn't that much worse than when I had 33's.

LILBUDDY, Sillywilly, and I think TEAM RAMROD ran 4.10's and 37's at one time or another.

alpha_nett [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Mar 16, 2008, 06:38:13 PM »
Kind of an old post, but with the 37's you'll technically have a higher top speed. The only question is if you have enough power to reach that top speed.

I have 4.56's and 35's, and it wasn't that much worse than when I had 33's.

LILBUDDY, Sillywilly, and I think TEAM RAMROD ran 4.10's and 37's at one time or another.
so do you think staying with 4.88's is the better option? they are stronger. i dont care if i am slow on the road, i guess that is not really a deciding factor in my build. i want whats best for off road(street legal-ish), then when i am on the road, i will deal with it.

if you guys were in my shoes, what would/did you do? 4.88's or 5.29's