Author Topic: 22r running bad  (Read 1898 times)

skyscraper

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 589
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
22r running bad
« on: Feb 18, 2008, 08:06:31 PM »
Hey guys.  I have an 84 pickup, and cant figure out what the problem is.  All of the sudden the other morning I went out to start my truck and it hardly idled, and sounded like it was running on straight header...Pulled it in the garage, checked the timing, it was dead on.  Checked spark, all 4 have spark.  Pulled the airbox, and the choke looks like it is working.  So I've been driving it for a week now.  When it is cold, it runs fine.  But once it warms up, it smells really rich, and idles like it has a huge cam in it, and hesitates off the line.  Once I rev it up to about 2000 rpm, it runs normal, sounds normal and has normal power.  It sounds as if all 4 cyl.'s are firing at the same time when its idling.  Also, the battery wont hold a charge, but takes like 2 days to drain enough to where it wont crank over.  The alternator is only about 2 months old, and the battery is a year old.  Could this be related or a completely seperate problem?  Searched around, and couldnt find any threads where the person had the same symptons I do.  Thanks.
« Last Edit: Feb 18, 2008, 08:12:35 PM by toyotaman22r »

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
Re: 22r running bad
« Reply #1 on: Feb 18, 2008, 08:14:12 PM »
i bet the alternator is crap.... is it a parts store alternator?
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

skyscraper [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Feb 18, 2008, 08:20:15 PM »
ya, napa.  How can I check the alternator with a multimeter???  Looked in the FSM, but it confused me.
« Last Edit: Feb 18, 2008, 08:26:21 PM by toyotaman22r »

skyscraper [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 19, 2008, 09:38:28 PM »
Drove the truck to work this afternoon, and it ran perfectly fine.  No problems at all.  Then driving it home was back to the same old stuff.  I'm at a loss here. 

skyscraper [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Feb 23, 2008, 01:16:16 PM »
alright guys, I cant figure it out.  Pulled all the plugs again, they were all a little wet.  Pulled the valve cover, cam looks fine, all the lobes look fine.  I went through a tank of gas in a week, only driving like 40-50 miles.  Its running extremely rich.  Checked the aap, and its fine.  I rebuilt the carb a year ago, so all the diaphrams and stuff are new.  The float is in the normal position, at least the fuel is in the middle of the sight glass on the float bowl.  My guess is its something carb related.  What about the idle silenoid?  Choke was opening fine when I had the filter off...  Any suggestions before I tear into it tomorow?

RynothealbinO

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -15
  • Male Posts: 141
  • Member since Aug '06
  • 36's on no lift!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Feb 25, 2008, 04:21:25 PM »
Sounds like your choke is not opening up.  I'm assuming you are running an automatic Choke?  Mine does the same, it will start fine and run well for a minute, and then for the next 1-4 minutes it runs like crap and I have to fight with it to keep it alive.  After that the thermo valve (right term?) starts to work right and then it runs right.  I just picked up a manual conversion kit so hopefully that will go in next week.
Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding, in all your ways acknowledge him and he will make your paths straight.  Proverbs 3:5-6  Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love and in purity.  1 Timothy 4:12

RynothealbinO

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -15
  • Male Posts: 141
  • Member since Aug '06
  • 36's on no lift!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Feb 25, 2008, 04:23:02 PM »
Also chech all of your vacuum hoses, I had one come off the other day and that was a huge problem.
Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding, in all your ways acknowledge him and he will make your paths straight.  Proverbs 3:5-6  Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love and in purity.  1 Timothy 4:12