Author Topic: 22RE really a dog  (Read 1516 times)

Oddmar

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 74
  • Male Posts: 402
  • Member since Aug '04
  • J3 Productions
    • View Profile
22RE really a dog
« on: Nov 03, 2007, 05:07:11 PM »
Me n Trunkz had a head redone by a reputable shop, then put it on the motor in his 4Runner.

He sold the 4Runner to a guy down the road from his parents, and the guy pulled the motor from the 4Runner and dropped it into an 88 Standard cab with a 5-speed. Now the guy's having me look at the motor cause it's a dog...it'll spin the tires in 1st but as you get into 3rd gear it's got no power, gutless.

Went to do a compression check and the first two spark plugs have a bigger thread diameter than the last two??? Like #1 and #2 are 13/16" and #3 and #4 are 5/8"?? I don't remember the plugs being different sizes when we worked on it before.

Felt like #2 was cross-threaded, and my compression tester wouldn't thread into it. I remember we had to heli-coil some of the holes on that head, but can't remember if we did any of the spark plug holes. The other cylinders are between 160-170psi. I put some pipe tape around the #2 plug before i put it back in.

Jumpered the diagnostic port and adjusted the timing by ear, the guy's timing light didn't work. Seemed a tad better after that but still gutless. Doesn't look like anyone's messed with the airbox. I know it does have a 261 cam from Engnbldr in it, the guy says he checked the valve clearances and they're within spec. Thought the Cat could be clogged but no difference with the exhaust disconnected.

When braking, or going faster than 40, the truck shakes like mad. The left front rotor is warped bad, but would that make the truck shake all the time? (Never had a warped rotor on a Toyota before).

I'll check the distributor and ignition timing next week when it's at my shop, just wanted to solicit opinions from everyone here. Maybe you'll have an idea of what could be wrong.
The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Only when i am finished will there be peace: The peace of an empty wind as it blows across a land strewn with the bones of my enemies.

Burl

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 271
  • Male Posts: 389
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Wannabe Smokejumper
    • View Profile
Re: 22RE really a dog
« Reply #1 on: Nov 03, 2007, 05:37:15 PM »
Shops sometimes will helicoil the spark plug hole even if the think the may go bad or cross thread.  Make sure all 4 spark plugs are the proper size for each hole.  Check all steering rod ends for exessive play that could cause shaking.

Oddmar [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 74
  • Male Posts: 402
  • Member since Aug '04
  • J3 Productions
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Nov 09, 2007, 08:14:50 AM »
C'mon, guys, anyone got any other ideas?

Reasons why the EFI motor would be a dog even with ok compression?

I think i figured out the spark plug thing. In my memory (i don't have the truck until 4pm today) i remember some notches on the first three threads on the 'bigger' spark plugs. I think the helicoil (not really a 'helicoil', for spark plugs it's a threaded sleeve) came out with the plug. It fits so well and looks so much like the threads you'd expect to see on a spark plug, i didn't notice it had come out with the plug.
The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Only when i am finished will there be peace: The peace of an empty wind as it blows across a land strewn with the bones of my enemies.

82 HiLux

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 81
  • Male Posts: 750
  • Member since Dec '06
  • its beer thirty!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #3 on: Nov 09, 2007, 11:52:44 PM »
turn it into a 22r, then itll run great  :beer:
82 hilux, bobbed, really fast 22r, 2 transfer cases, ARB's, 5.29's, 37" MTR's. Custom everything.