Author Topic: What would my culpability if at all, in doing this?  (Read 1572 times)

NT-OUTBACK

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Male Posts: 139
  • Member since Feb '07
    • View Profile
What would my culpability if at all, in doing this?
« on: Oct 01, 2007, 11:02:50 PM »

I'm considering gluing razor blades on my inner frame rail so when or if some tweaker decides to steal my catalytic converter he finds a little surprise. Maybe a few stainless still barbed fish hooks hanging down on thin wire also so they get snagged in the eye.

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 5,120
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
    • Simpson Brothers Photography
Why don't you just weld a couple of tacks on your cat so they CAN'T steal it? :shake:

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Female Posts: 299
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
A burgler breaks into a guys house, falls down the stairs and breaks his leg, sues the owner of the house and wins the lawsuit.
You tell me what you think your culpability would be for knowing sabotaging your vehicle against theft.
Life is like a bowl of beer flavored chocolate covered dog turds.. it makes no sense. :pokinit:

Where is the Mammoth?

How the Mammoth came to be

Number Two :pokinit:

weirdtimes_7

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Male Posts: 1,032
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
I would do it... oh wait, i still need to buy a welder, HAHAHAHA

military_stang
:respect:

mudmaster

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 3754
  • Male Posts: 2,854
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
You'd be toast
Time to go wheelin!

red

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 199
  • Male Posts: 1,616
  • Member since Jan '05
  • irish redhead texan, interesting combo
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
you shouldnt be culpable at all since its your vehicle and your protecting your property. but with how our country is you would probably be held responsable. depends largly on what state your in though. if your in cali, new york, and states like that i wouldnt do it. but if your in places like texas, colorado, utah, etc then i would because the courts realize that your protecting your property.
read and comment :whip:

USAF EOD tech

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Female Posts: 8,265
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
I would assume it depends on what state you're in.  I know around here the thief can sue you and you'd lose big.  I'd recommend a shocker, not something that can cut.  Put some sort of electric current down there so that when they touch it it shocks them... HARD... :dunno:
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
Why not just hook up several cans of pepper spray with an elaborate trigger system activated by a motion sensor under your vehicle?  Sure, it may spray the occassional cat or 5, but.................... wait, that's not a bad thing either :_oops:
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

lilbuddy

• Dried Fruit Warrior
  • Turtle Points: -234
  • Male Posts: 5,720
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Hella....
    • View Profile
Why not just put a Caution sign on it? If theres a caution sign somewhere then its under their own risk right?
RIP Kyota.... you are the man

GET IT!!!

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Female Posts: 8,265
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Why not just put a Caution sign on it? If theres a caution sign somewhere then its under their own risk right?

This is true! You can put a caution sign on it and then when you get sued you can tell the judge "there was a caution sign they didn't heed"... and have pics of it :gap:
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

NT-OUTBACK [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Male Posts: 139
  • Member since Feb '07
    • View Profile

Because if they cannot read such big words a lawyer will figure they have a  lawsuit or better yet someone who cannot read English.

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Female Posts: 299
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
Nope, doesn't matter. You go to events where they make you sign releases so they are not liable but in reality they can still be sued regardless. It just makes people think they can't sue.
People can sue for anything and will.
And what would you do if some animal got under you vehicle and got snagged on hooks or cut to shreds because of your theft deterrents? 
It is not a viable idea.
Mark has thought of the electroshock therapy idea before, that's more logical.
Have you seen the theft deterrants they have in other countries though? Flamers shooters and such to deter carjackings?
Life is like a bowl of beer flavored chocolate covered dog turds.. it makes no sense. :pokinit:

Where is the Mammoth?

How the Mammoth came to be

Number Two :pokinit: