Author Topic: Meteors this weekend  (Read 2626 times)

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
Meteors this weekend
« on: Aug 10, 2007, 07:15:31 PM »
Just a note. If you're interested, go out to the boonies Sunday night and look up. The annual Perseid showers are peaking then.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

Yota Up

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -4
  • Member since Feb '06
    • View Profile
Re: Meteors this weekend
« Reply #1 on: Aug 11, 2007, 12:44:13 PM »
What time and which direction should we be looking?

abnormaltoy [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Aug 11, 2007, 01:03:12 PM »
Not to sound like a smartass...but, after dark and up. Which direction you look really depends on where you are and what time, but they're all over. As long as you don't have cloud cover, all you really have to do is get away from the city lights. up to 60 per hour are anticipated and this year the shower coincides with the new moon.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #3 on: Aug 11, 2007, 01:22:44 PM »
:thumbs:

Yota Up

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Aug 11, 2007, 02:00:32 PM »
Not to sound like a smartass...but, after dark and up. Which direction you look really depends on where you are and what time, but they're all over. As long as you don't have cloud cover, all you really have to do is get away from the city lights. up to 60 per hour are anticipated and this year the shower coincides with the new moon.

Ok, that was very called-for.

However, let me clarify my question:

#1:  As we all know, there is a peak for these showers.  If you're only going to torture your pregnant wife for one or two hours - you don't want to take her out at 10pm if the peak is at 2AM.  Make sense?

#2:  There are several mountain spots to choose from here for me.  I can go up the hill by my house and there I only have a view of the EASTERN skies.  Or I can drive further to another hill where I can have a clear view of the WESTERN skies.

It would really suck to drive up hill B and look to the WEST at 10pm when they fire in the East at 2AM.   Make sense?

I'm in So Oregon for what that's worth.

abnormaltoy [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Aug 11, 2007, 02:24:00 PM »
Ok, that was very called-for.

However, let me clarify my question:

#1:  As we all know, there is a peak for these showers.  If you're only going to torture your pregnant wife for one or two hours - you don't want to take her out at 10pm if the peak is at 2AM.  Make sense?

#2:  There are several mountain spots to choose from here for me.  I can go up the hill by my house and there I only have a view of the EASTERN skies.  Or I can drive further to another hill where I can have a clear view of the WESTERN skies.

It would really suck to drive up hill B and look to the WEST at 10pm when they fire in the East at 2AM.   Make sense?

I'm in So Oregon for what that's worth.

I said I wasn't being a smart ass.

I really haven't seen anything that indicates a prime direction. In my experience with the Perseid's...they appear from all directions. As far as the peak time, again, my experience is between midnight and about 4am.

I don't know anything about Oregon...mountains, plains, etc...but I usually go out in the middle of a wide valley (the San Pedro) that runs north and south, east of Tucson. I would think that if you're in the middle of the mountains, your horizon is going to be limited. So, if you're in the middle of Kansas where there aren't any hills, you've got it made. If you in Tahoe up in the mountains, try to get to an observatory or a clearing near a peak. How wide are the valleys in your area?

-- Winston Churchill

Travis Tritt (I know!)

Yota Up

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Aug 11, 2007, 02:30:27 PM »
It's tough because we have a lot of tall pine trees all over the place.
The valley has people and the people have lights, so that's out.

Hard to get a wide view of the sky.

Although, I just had an idea...  I may be able to get my raft going in time, and take us down the river out of the canyons.  Hmm.

Thanks again.  Don't know about everyone else - but I highly value and appreciate being informed of special things in the night sky.  I remember I was wheelin near Redding once and the northern lights hit because of a super solar storm.  That was one of the best nights of my life.  Thanks for the headsup on this cosmic show.  I would have missed it if I didn't catch your post.

Cheers.

abnormaltoy [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Aug 11, 2007, 02:36:12 PM »
It's tough because we have a lot of tall pine trees all over the place.
The valley has people and the people have lights, so that's out.

Hard to get a wide view of the sky.

Although, I just had an idea...  I may be able to get my raft going in time, and take us down the river out of the canyons.  Hmm.

Thanks again.  Don't know about everyone else - but I highly value and appreciate being informed of special things in the night sky.  I remember I was wheelin near Redding once and the northern lights hit because of a super solar storm.  That was one of the best nights of my life.  Thanks for the headsup on this cosmic show.  I would have missed it if I didn't catch your post.

Cheers.

I might wet myself if I ever saw the northern lights. We really have the best of all worlds down here...mountains everywhere and wide valleys...not too many trees in the lower altitudes. Out in the San Pedro valley you probably have close to 165-170* horizon east to west, north to south there aren't a lot of obstacles.

I'll be out there all night...me, the illegals and my shot gun!

-- Winston Churchill

Travis Tritt (I know!)

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #8 on: Aug 11, 2007, 05:42:33 PM »
Just a note. If you're interested, go out to the boonies Sunday night and look up. The annual Perseid showers are peaking then.

Not to be a smartass but how do I get to your place?

:cheese: :rofl:
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

abnormaltoy [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Aug 13, 2007, 07:54:28 AM »
Not to be a smartass but how do I get to your place?

:cheese: :rofl:

:dunno: South on I-10 to Kolb Rb., go north.

-- Winston Churchill

Travis Tritt (I know!)

red

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 199
  • Male Posts: 1,616
  • Member since Jan '05
  • irish redhead texan, interesting combo
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #10 on: Aug 13, 2007, 12:13:16 PM »
was a pretty good show last night. saw it from the top of a mountain out here at a little over 9,200ft.
read and comment :whip:

USAF EOD tech

Hammerhead

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 100
  • Male Posts: 564
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Junkyard Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Aug 13, 2007, 12:21:30 PM »
Good show here too!

Laid on a blanket in the back yard.

I live in the sticks...
'82 pickup, +3, locked, doubled
'82 pickup, IFS long travel, V8
'85 4runner, V8 rock crawler
'88 X-cab, V6

abnormaltoy [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Aug 13, 2007, 01:47:47 PM »
I enjoyed the show. There were dozens of good long shots...almost horizon to horizon. There were two that (I don't know if they have a name) that you can almost hear a buzz as they go across, they're bigger and seem to throw off more particles.

Next up...there's a show in September.

Check out this site; http://skytour.homestead.com/met2007.html

-- Winston Churchill

Travis Tritt (I know!)