Author Topic: Tires, Iroc vs TSL  (Read 3050 times)

Yogatoy

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 50
  • Member since Apr '07
  • Chris's Rig
    • View Profile
Tires, Iroc vs TSL
« on: Jul 22, 2007, 04:53:56 AM »
I am building a 84 extra cab from the fame up, I'm putting a 5" all pro extreme lift kit on it, I have MC 4.7's plus dual TC. I want to put change my ring and pinion when I put lockers in the axles, So My question is. What size tiretire should I go with and whats a better tire Iroc or TSL. I do every type of off roading but I really love rock. I planned on going 38 but would 39.5 but to big. Also whats the difference between bias and radial tires, whats the better choice.
thank

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
Re: Tires, Iroc vs TSL
« Reply #1 on: Jul 22, 2007, 05:04:03 AM »
DIAGONAL (BIAS-PLY) TIRES
These tires have two, or more body plies which cross at an angle to the centerline of the tread and which strengthen both the sidewall and the tread area. Bias ply tires will always have an even number of body plies because of this. Bias ply tires are usually constructed from nylon cord, which is stronger than polyester cord. Nylon has an unfortunate tendency to take a set when statically loaded, especially when cold, resulting in the "square tire" syndrome.
A bias ply tire usually has a rounded tread face and even at low pressures will not have any sidewall bulge.
At extremely low inflation, a bias ply sidewall will wrinkle, similar to a drag racing slick.
Another common feature of bias ply tires is that the tread can wrap around and up the sidewall of the tire in an uninterrupted fashion. Since there is no transition from a circumferential belt to radial sidewall (the bias play run from bead to bead) this will not cause flex-induced heating.

RADIAL TIRES
The body cords run across the tire perpendicular to the beads. Radial tires have belt plies which run nearly circumferentially around the tire, under the tread, to stabilize the tread, to strengthen the tread area and add flexibility to the sidewall. By restricting tread movement during contact with the road, the belt plies improve tread life. Radial tires are usually constructed with polyester cords, which are softer and resist flat-spotting common in nylon cord.
A radial tire usually has a squared off tread face and a distinctive sidewall bulge at the tire contact point, even with proper inflation.
While some radial tires may have "tread" on the sidewall, it usually has a break at the sidewall transition and the sidewall tread is very thin to minimize heat buildup from radial sidewall flexing.

38s or 39.5s would be fine, what gearing are you planning to go with? is this truck street driven? those tires are pretty large, and depending on use, 5.29s or 5.71s would be ideal for it...

are you doing any axle upgrades? tires that large usually require some axle upgrades, a lot of people running tires that big run d60s

as far as the iroc or three stage lug, what model are you looking @ for tsl? swamper, thornbirds, boggers, etc? many people have their preferences and what works best for their type of wheeling
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

bigarms23

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 111
  • Male Posts: 2,897
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 22, 2007, 06:32:06 PM »
I would run 39.5 iroks but think of up grading your axles to dana6- or a 44 60 with cromoly and ox u joints
88 4runner 92 cpi duals 37 radial rockers and 4.8 coming soon

RRMike

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jul 22, 2007, 11:13:52 PM »
Unless it's almost all mud then Irok's are the tire for you. 

Yogatoy [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 50
  • Member since Apr '07
  • Chris's Rig
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 23, 2007, 04:58:57 AM »
So what is better to buy, Bias or Radial.

lethe

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 36
  • Member since Jun '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jul 23, 2007, 10:42:24 AM »
bias if its just a wheeler.
sex is like math. add the bed, subtract the clothes, divide the legs.

AaronB

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 287
  • Male Posts: 2,452
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Wish I Was Crawling
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #6 on: Jul 23, 2007, 11:05:23 AM »
So what is better to buy, Bias or Radial.

the one thats cheaper  :nana:    Just kidding

I would go with bias.
"Never make your passion your occupation. it will loose it's luster and become work. that's why i never wanted to become a gynecologist!"

I also taught him how to put in 5min of hard work and then spend 15min staring and admiring what you have done...

bigarms23

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 111
  • Male Posts: 2,897
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jul 23, 2007, 12:40:21 PM »
if you drive on the street alot than go with radials but if it just for wheeling than go with bias the only real difference is that bias tires driven on the street wear out faster so at this point it only relies on your driving style
88 4runner 92 cpi duals 37 radial rockers and 4.8 coming soon