Author Topic: This is what and how we 4x4 here in South Africa  (Read 9367 times)

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Internet Lassies
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Female Posts: 299
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
A wee photo of Ronny's little Jeep

you must have flipped the photo, the steering is on the wrong side :disturbed:

:headscratch: is that a grilling basket in front of the grill? It looks like a grill basket handle sticking up. 

Life is like a bowl of beer flavored chocolate covered dog turds.. it makes no sense. :pokinit:

Where is the Mammoth?

How the Mammoth came to be

Number Two :pokinit:

unclejpl4x4

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 348
  • Male Posts: 3,522
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Broke & rusted
    • View Profile
    • myspace
    • Buy me a beer
build thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39214.0
CB install http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=45467.0
roundeyes http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=33294.0;highlight=round+eyes
LC exhaust head 2 tip, EB RVstreethead O/S valves,EB  268c/torker cam , .20 over , metal t-chain wear pads
MARLIN clutch 1200, master clutch cly

Hilux King [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Member since Jul '06
    • View Profile
No you are incorrect here in South Africa, we have the steering wheel on the Right side, we drive on the right side of the road, yes that is a braai grid, just in case we need it, but it is scratching the paintwork on the front grill, but Ronny says "so what"

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Internet Lassies
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Female Posts: 299
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
btw HKing - that was my bad attempt at a joke, I assumed you have right hand drive -- LOL! But you have the steering on the right side AND drive on the right side?
That's a good size 'braai grid'.
I love the look on Ronny's face! Looks like he's having a good ol time.
Life is like a bowl of beer flavored chocolate covered dog turds.. it makes no sense. :pokinit:

Where is the Mammoth?

How the Mammoth came to be

Number Two :pokinit:

Hilux King [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '06
    • View Profile
 :smack:Sorry Ladies and Gentlemen been busy working during the day at my normal day time job and all the spare time that I have we have been working on our new 4x4 project, we have started a TOY Project, basically we have taken a 1994 Toyota Hilux 4x4 double cab, thrown off the rear bin and canopy, lifted the bab by 85mm, fitted a 7MGE Cressida 6 cylinder fuel injection engine, it has a twin cam and an auto box with low range lock up, the full electrical and computor system also came out of a cressida motor car.

We have already also fitted a Marlin Crawler kit, matched up to a recon transfer case, we have also then done away with the rear two piece propshafts and centre bearing, and have fitted a front propshaft that has been modified to suit, it has the double cardan joint as well.

We have fitted new Mickey Thompson baja claws 35" x 1550 x 15" onto new Classic 2 rims, hey these tires are really wide.

The radiator will be fitted in the rear behind the cab, it will lie down, but we will be having the existing radiator at the rear as well, it will serve as the header tank, stainless steel pipes will run underneath the truck to the engine in front, and we will also mount both the oil coolers at the rear, this radiator comes out of a Mercedes Benz Actros truck, it already has an oil cooler fitted to the inside of it, we will connect the one up to the auto box and the other to the power steering system, we are still waiting for the tow Milemarker 12 000lbs hydraulic winches to arrive from America, will be fitting one up front and the other in the rear.

Yes this will be an awesome truck when completed, from Snake Racing in Australia we have ordered an anti wrap bar as well as the extension for the steering rods, rear revolver shackles which we already have will be fitted to the front and the rear springs, but these are the double twist type as well as a special type of bush for the main spring eye, sort of a swivel bush. Which will protect the spring blades from been damaged when they twist.

Then we have already fitted ARB Lockers to two spare centre pumpkins which we will fit when we overhaul the front and the rear axles, we also had the crownwheel and pinions ceramic coated, this will be interesting to see if this additional cost will pay off.

Well will post some pic's of what the truck look like so far.

Also you can please visit this Toyota Hilux web site that a friend of mine has started, click on the forum and you will also see lots of picks of our Hilux's. our name there on that forum is SYRON CONVERSIONS register and join in the fun, your input would be appreciated, tell your friends as well.

www.hilux4x4.co.za 

Thankyou
Simon

highridin4x4

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 237
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
Its good to see your back now  :worthless:

lets see the pictures of the new truck.

Scott

Hilux King [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '06
    • View Profile

Yeah back again :usa:

Hilux King [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '06
    • View Profile

Hello, yes here in South Africa in this little town called Queenstown in The Eastern Cape we do not fool around, we take it as it comes, would your truck get up this small climb :blah: :blah: :blah:

Hilux King [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '06
    • View Profile
This is not me, this is my Mate Rob Walton, he sure must have been drunk to do this, it was at one of our 4x4 evenings together.

And this is me, I was not too pleased with this live snake in my hands

:yikes: :shocking: :crossed:

Hilux King [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '06
    • View Profile
Photo of my reconditioned transfer case and the Marlin fitted, see the twin shifter.

Some revolver shackles fitted at the rear, note these are the lockable type. Bought them from Australia.

Hilux King [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '06
    • View Profile
Driving up a dry river stream,

Yeah we also get stuck here in South Africa, here I was taking the lead, the other guys were behind me, venturing out into new land, have not driven this area before.