Author Topic: Durability issue with ARB's redesigned RD132  (Read 1827 times)

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
Durability issue with ARB's redesigned RD132
« on: Jun 11, 2007, 10:58:10 PM »
I lost the use of my new RD132 rear ARB on the trail over Memorial day weekend.  I pulled it down today figuring I either chewed through the copper tube since in now runs behtween the ring gear and the axle housing as seen here.

or seperated at the seal housing since it now rotates back and forth about an 1/8" with the change in direction of the gears.

However this isn't where the problem is.  It seams that the ARB now uses a rubber o-ring in the bulkhead that the copper tube slides through with nothing else holding the tube in place against the airline.  In my case the back and forth movement of the seal housing with the gears caused the copper tube to pull away from the air line in the bulkhead, rendering the ARB useless.  The shop I had set it up is working on trying to find a solution. I am thinking a copper crush sleeve(if i can find one small enough) might work to keep the tube from pulling out, but then with it being fixed it might cause the tube at the seal housing to break.  I am also thinking about attatching the copper tube to the center bolt on the bearing cap to keep it from moving.  Any input would be appreciated.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

Hilux92

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 89
  • Member since Dec '06
  • Speed Kills...Drive a Hilux and live forever!
    • View Profile
Re: Durability issue with ARB's redesigned RD132
« Reply #1 on: Jun 12, 2007, 10:07:56 PM »
We have had alot of ARBs failing on trails. When I sell lockers to customers I try make them get Detroits. Have you taken this up with ARBUSA?

Snowtoy [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jun 12, 2007, 11:51:43 PM »
No I haven't contacted them yet, I was waiting to see if the shop that set up my diff came up with any ideas yet.  When I called the shop earlier today he was about to try his fix, he had had another customer call today with the same problem.  I picked up some 1/8" crush sleeves that I haven't had a chance to see if they fit. If the crush sleeves are to big I was going to try a piece of the blue airline.  I will have an idea tomarrow whether or not there is an easy fix.  Another idea would be to flare the end and use a gas fitting at the bulkhead, though the tube on mine is nolonger long enough for that.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.

lifted90toyotapickup

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jun 13, 2007, 03:07:21 PM »
i have the same issue. keep us posted on what is the best fix cuz i dont like thinking that i wasted 1500 bucks cuz a stupid airline.

Snowtoy [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jun 14, 2007, 10:09:08 PM »
I contacted ARBUSA and spoke with a tech yesterday.  He basically said it failed from installer error.  The new O-ring design is being used world wide and is a proven design.  He said that either I tightened it too much or not enough.  He told me how he installs the bulkhead fitting, I followed his directions and it currently seems to be holding, though I wont know for sure until I hit the trail next month.  He said when installing the bulkhead you have to hold pressure behind the copper tube as you tighten down the double male fitting, once it is tight give it about 1/5 of a turn, and when attatching the blue line fitting to hold the double male coupler with a wrench.

The tech said he still had some of the original type of bulkhead fittings and if I wanted one he would dend it to me, I went ahead and had him send me one of each.  Neither one of course can be installed w/o pulling the diff out, so neither one is really a trail fix.  However messing around with it I found that the blue airline fits tight enough around the copper tube that it held air and the ARB would engage.  I am not sure how long this would work, but would be a way to get it working again on the trail w/o pulling the diff.

Wermz84

• Rock Nerd!
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 921
  • Male Posts: 3,518
  • Member since May '05
  • Ouch My Eye!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jun 14, 2007, 10:17:34 PM »
Good to know