Author Topic: Fuel Guage Problem  (Read 1889 times)

KDXSR5

• Poser Shot Extraordinaire
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 61
  • Male Posts: 2,812
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
Fuel Guage Problem
« on: May 07, 2007, 10:21:42 PM »
A few days ago it snowed 8 inches here in Wyoming. The next day, it was 60 degrees and all of the snow turned into slush. I LOVE slush. I was driving through it for about 3 hours with one of my friends, and then all of a sudden, my fuel gauge started to bounce. I had just put in a full tank of gas, but the gauge was bouncing between half a tank and past a full tank. I don't know what would cause this besides water getting into some connection somewhere. I haven't driven the truck for two days, so I don't know if it is still doing it, but I am assuming it is. Please help me figure this out! I need to know how much gas I have. Thanks!

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
Re: Fuel Guage Problem
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2007, 12:03:03 AM »
If its been dry out, that connection may very well have dried out, and you're no longer suffering the problem.  Check, and if it isn't doing it anymore, I would lean toward it being a connection somewhere.  If that is the case, start at the tank, and coat any connection with some dialectic grease(sp) and even wrap the connections up with some electrical tape. 
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2007, 08:17:52 PM »
It has now dried out. I got to drive the truck today, but the gauge is still doing it.  :confused: I really don't want to have to take this to Toyota, any ideas? Thanks!

Plowking

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -75
  • Male Posts: 504
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Awesome yota
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2007, 06:05:16 PM »
I do believe the sending unit is melted in goo on top of the back side of the gas tank ( on its own seperate mounting plate).  Grab an Ohm meter and check your continuity on sending unit, leaving tank. Check ground wire as well.

Take ohm meter reading write it down than drive it or add gas to the tank and see if the ohm reading changes.
2008 Dodge Diesel  (Cummins Rule)
6.7 manual quad 8 foot bed H&S delete, banks air box
93 yota 3.0 locked up...
2004 Yamaha Raptor 660R

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2007, 07:26:36 AM »
I couldn't find my Ohm meter, so I filled the tank and removed the negative battery cable and waited a few minutes hoping to reset everything. I don't know if it really reset anything, but I put the cable back on and it seems to work now. I don't know why it was doing that, but I am glad its working again. Thanks for the help!

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2007, 08:55:05 PM »
Nevermind, it is doing it again! I'll look in my FSM sometime soon to see if it says anything about this problem. The fuel gauge will still show that the tank is being emptied, but the needle bounces like crazy. So no one else has had this problem?? Input please!

Ewong

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since May '02
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2007, 04:30:26 AM »
Nevermind, it is doing it again! I'll look in my FSM sometime soon to see if it says anything about this problem. The fuel gauge will still show that the tank is being emptied, but the needle bounces like crazy. So no one else has had this problem?? Input please!

SR5 cluster or DLX cluster?
yeah yeah - still IFS...

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2007, 10:07:41 PM »
SR5

85RUNR

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 22
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2007, 08:48:16 AM »
Sounds like you have a loose connection. On mine the ground wire had just about come off. It was only hanging on by a few strands and was giving me problems. Check the connections on top of the fuel tank and the harness. There's a green or white plug(can't remember the color and I'm a few thousand miles away from my truck), right beside the tank in the wheelwell. Pull the plug apart and see if there is any corrosion or moisture in it. Hope you get it figured out.