Author Topic: Wombats 79 Toyota Build.  (Read 1261 times)

wombat

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
Wombats 79 Toyota Build.
« on: Apr 18, 2007, 10:54:20 AM »
First and foremost, let me say that I hate threads that start off with "tell me what to do to my truck" and this is not one of thoughs.. I have built a couple fullsize trucks, and majority of wich are chevrolet's, but have never worked on a toyota, or had one built. I bought this truck on a wim because I have always liked the way they look, and they seem to perform pretty good offroad, especially for their size. Iam currently in Iraq, and trying to find a way to have my truck  moved to the local 4x shop to get started, and hopefully finish it up when I get home in OCT.
I don't have a vast knowledge on what is available for these trucks, or should I say that I know the parts are out there, I just don't know hwere to look.
The first thing it will be getting while in the shop is a rollcage (safety first since this is going to goto my soon to be wife)
But here is a little history on the truck that I got from the seller.. I was told that the engien that is in it was rebuilt about 2 years ago, but because of wiring problems, it never got started. He said that he has rotated it frequently to keep the rings from freezing up on it, and included an extra under hood harness with itto help fix. It came with a spare 20r that I was told ran when pulled, but is now laying in the back of the truck.
    I know that these truck are notorious for frame rot right behinde the cab, but this onelooks pretty solid, and the body isn't all eatin up.. I have purchased a set of motor mounts to swap in a 350, but haven't decided if that is the route that I want to go. The truck has a 4- speed in it  but will need to be an auto of given to my girl.. She can drive a stick, but not for offroad. Though research I have found out that thsi truck came wth no power steering wich will also have to be fixed.
This truck will be used primarily offroad, and almost never see pavement. I alreadyhave a set of 36x12.50x16.5 tires that I would like to use if I can get them to fit, andstill have it look like a truck (not into half trucks, or truggy's)
Now my first question is about the chevy rears and rears up front lift, How much does this style of lift offer? is it sufficient for my size tires? Also I have spare chevy parts laying around, what else can I use as up grades? I plan touse a set ofzero rates from ORD, because I already have them, tohelp with a little more lift, and to move the front axel forward to help with tir clearance. I assume that the toyota has a 2inch leafe spring since you can use the chevy's out back. The truck will be used in the muddy trails of KEntucky, and rarely see rocks.. If I don't go with a 350 what are some other good options that are available? a 4.3 vortec seems to be a decent choice. anyoneelse done this swap? As far as axels, I have been informed that the rear axel is near indestructable, andwith a set up up graded birf's the front can be equaly as stout (planning on longfields, if I keep stock axels). Aside from these few mods I don't know what else is a must do for this era toyota, any insight will  be appricieated. Here are a few pics of how the truck sits right now, andthere will be mnore to come as it gets worked on. thanks.
Josh
Decently solid body

Not beat up to bad

Solid bed

No frame rot

Interior needs work.. I have a set of black RCI buckets with 5 points for it wich will be mounted to the roll cage.

I will get better pics as they are availble to me (meaning when I get my girl to go out side and take some)