Author Topic: NEED HELP!  (Read 1200 times)

yota_krawler

• Cody Hunter
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Male Posts: 3,379
  • Member since Oct '06
  • proud parent!!!
    • View Profile
NEED HELP!
« on: Apr 03, 2007, 10:55:12 PM »
ok I was going down the trail, Hit a bump hard (didn't see it) and the weld my pass inner broke by the radiator, My battery slid over far enough to take the main power from the battery to the fuse box under the hood off, and my amp cable too. My amp cable touched the body and ground out and my amp and cd and clock turned off for a second and came back on. I got out and poped the hood (truck running) and saw what had happened. I shut the truck off. I put the main line back on the 80 amp fuse under the hood, taped off the amp wire and went to start it and everything came on. The started tryed to engauge and didn't everything shut off. No power at all. I got towed home. Today I tinkered with it and couldn't figure it out. This is what I did.

Put a test light on the frame/body to see if I had any power. No light. It only worked if the ground was on the battery that it.

Checked to see if there was any power to the starter, there was power on the starter case and if I toucked it to the tranny the light would come on.

I connected jumper cables to the neg. side and connected the light (to reach in the cab) to that and everything that was power and ground, was all power.

All fuses are good.

Not sure if a relay would have anything to do with it but also not sure what one

I have no ground anythere but on the battery, and no idea what to do. It was just a spur of the moment lets go hit some trails and now this. If you have any idea what this is please let me know.

Thanks Cody
Tow Rig: 2006 GMC Sierra Crew Cab: lift and tires.
Wheeler: 1985 Toyota 4runner Semi Built: project http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=89681.msg1013539#msg1013539

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
Re: NEED HELP!
« Reply #1 on: Apr 03, 2007, 11:15:45 PM »
start @ looking at a ground wire.... i dont see how you had it light up with no ground anywhere... that doesnt make sense
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

SACD_Runner

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 217
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Apr 03, 2007, 11:54:12 PM »
You sure you didnt blow your main fuse? an arc like that can pop it no prob. alot of what you said didn't add up. "I put the main line back on the 80 amp fuse under the hood, taped off the amp wire and went to start it and everything came on. The started tryed to engauge and didn't everything shut off"  :smack: Check your grounds too, maybe you knocked the MG off the block.  :headscratch:
Starting from scratch again...

yota_krawler [OP]

• Cody Hunter
  • Member since Oct '06
  • proud parent!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Apr 04, 2007, 12:34:10 AM »
See if this makes more sense?

Ok I was going down the trail, Hit a bump hard (didn't see it) and the weld on my passenger inner fender broke by the radiator, My battery slid over far enough to take the main power from the battery to the fuse box under the hood off, and my amp cable too. My amp cable touched the body and groun'd out. My amp, cd player, and clock turned off for a second then came back on. I got out and poped the hood (truck running) and saw what had happened. I shut the truck off. I put the main line back on the 80 amp fuse under the hood, taped off the amp wire and turned the key to acc and the cd player etc. came back on. Tried to start it and it acted as the battery was dead. No power at all. I got towed home. Today I tinkered with it and couldn't figure it out. This is what I did.

Put a test light on the frame/body to see if I had any power. It only worked if the ground on the test light was on the battery. No where else.

Checked to see if there was any power to the starter, there was power on the starter wire and if I touched the starter case and the tranny the light would come on. And that isn't right.

I connected jumper cables to the negative side and connected the light to that. I touched the light to anything that should have power. The light would turn on but still nothing worked. Everything was all power. If I touched it to any ground other then the ground on the battery the light would turn on.

All fuses are good.

Not sure if a relay would have anything to do with it but also not sure what one.

I have my ground from the block to the inner fender, from the inner fender to the battery. It is all on and good.

I have no ground anythere but on the battery, and no idea what to do. It was just a spur of the moment lets go hit some trails and now this. If you have any idea what this is please let me know.

Thanks Cody
Wheeler: 1985 Toyota 4runner Semi Built: project http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=89681.msg1013539#msg1013539

yota_krawler [OP]

• Cody Hunter
  • Member since Oct '06
  • proud parent!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Apr 04, 2007, 03:19:10 PM »
 :biggthumpup:  :biggthumpup:  :biggthumpup: got it fixed. Thanks anyway. I had a bad ground  :hammer: It didn't look bad but can't go based on looks! My battery was held down by a bungie cord and I think that is what helped the issue. Now it is succurly fastened.

SACD_Runner

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 217
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Apr 04, 2007, 10:36:33 PM »
Cool I know we didn't help much but at least you got it fixed. Congrats.
Starting from scratch again...

yota_krawler [OP]

• Cody Hunter
  • Member since Oct '06
  • proud parent!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Apr 04, 2007, 11:27:39 PM »
thanks I was worried, it is my dd. I really didn't explain it good either, it is kinda hard trying to explain something like that on the computer. No emotions I kinda talk with my hands.  :thumbs: