Author Topic: Windshield?  (Read 3003 times)

topar

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 1,909
  • Member since Aug '06
  • One Toyota + One Mopar = Topar
    • View Profile
Windshield?
« on: Mar 15, 2007, 01:39:12 AM »
Has anyone removed a windshield from a first gen?  I am taking one out of one truck to put into another truck.  I have never removed one before I tried pulling the gasket out and pushing out on the windshield.  I was a little afraid I might break it and would rather not have to purchase another one.   :snare: If I cant figure it out I might have to pay a window company and don't really want to do that.  Any help would be much appreciated.  :beerchug:

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
Re: Windshield?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 15, 2007, 07:05:07 PM »
i paid to have mine done..

most people i know that have done them themselves have leaks. it was only like a hundred bucks. u can get a deal if u call around and barter with them (which i didnt know is common for something like this) they will match or beat prices
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mar 15, 2007, 07:10:38 PM »
i would like to know this as well, i may jsut have some place do it, it shouldnt be too expensive.... i see adds for $100 installed new windshield type deals in the pennysaver paper....

my windshield is good, but its obvious a previous owner did it themselves and it leaks all over the place.... i wnat to have it removed, cleaned out and then reinstalled by a real place....
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

topar [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Aug '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Mar 15, 2007, 07:14:39 PM »
Yeah its about $100 in Va as well.  I just thought if someone knew how than I could spend the money elsewhere.  Thanks though.

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Mar 15, 2007, 07:18:52 PM »
Yeah its about $100 in Va as well.  I just thought if someone knew how than I could spend the money elsewhere.  Thanks though.

i did partially remove my windshiled on my rolled truck... i got a razor blade and shoved it into the caulking as far as a could and made a couple of passes... i think this might work to get it removed... jsut have to take your time.... if you have access to a hot knife or something that would probably work even better

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

topar [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Aug '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Mar 15, 2007, 07:21:26 PM »
:smack: I never thought of cutting out the windshield.  Thanks I will try that tomorrow.  Thats so simple I feel stupid now  :smack:  At least I can get it out then if I have to I will pay to have it installed.

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Mar 15, 2007, 07:22:44 PM »
What most people don't know, and I don't know if this is the case for you guys, but a lot of insurance companies cover this with a deductible.  Its under "road hazard" insurance or something. It doesn't raise your insurance to use it, its kinda a thing they know has to be done, so they will pay for part of it.  The best part is, a lot of glass palces will cover the deductible to get the business.

I got my windshield replaced for free through this, and my dad has used it many times in the past.  Spotter just did it as well for her car, and I think she only had to pay $50  :thumbs:

just some info for ya to look into :dunno:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

topar [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Aug '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Mar 15, 2007, 07:24:15 PM »
Guess who will be calling the insurance man tomorrow!  :bowdown: Thanks!

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Mar 15, 2007, 07:35:27 PM »
What most people don't know, and I don't know if this is the case for you guys, but a lot of insurance companies cover this with a deductible.  
most people have 250-500 dollar deducts.....this would be well below that limit i would think but not sure...probably depends on the coverage/plan i guess
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

Hyena

• I'm Legit!!!
  • Turtle Points: 2401
  • Male Posts: 6,715
  • Member since Feb '04
  • AKA Baja Brad
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Mar 15, 2007, 07:51:42 PM »
it is a pita to pull a windshield without breaking it. 

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Mar 15, 2007, 07:54:43 PM »
dtb, a lot of insurance companies actually have broken windshiled protection... you pay like $50 everytime it breaks, and you get like 2 a year or something like that... not sure if that extra insurance jacks the rates though... my parents have it on their cars with aaa

~ John F. Kennedy ~

topar [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Aug '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Mar 15, 2007, 07:54:56 PM »
Yeah thats what I was finding out.  :thumbdown:

Tice

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 881
  • Member since Feb '05
  • I named my son Wheeler!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Mar 15, 2007, 09:51:26 PM »
I had a hell of a time getting mine out of my 85 after it got shattered!!! Ended up using  a razor and about 2 hours of time.  Let it set in the sun for a while too. Maybe that'll help warm up the glue.
I don't need a winch, I wheel a TOYOTA!!!!!!!

www.wheelingarizona.com