Author Topic: 22RE Distributor Timing (After Timing Chain Replacement)?  (Read 25261 times)

wrenchtech

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -14
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • WrenchTech: Content for Backyard Fabricators & Homeshop Mechanics
I was installing the distributor in a 22RE today. I noticed that when I tried to line up the trigger wheel in the distributor with its pickup sensor (and the #1 terminal on the cap) I found the adjustment slot, of the distributor hold-down bolt, far to one side of its range. If I move the distributor over a tooth on the drive gear it just ends up at the limit of the other side of the slot. I'm doing all this with crank pully at 5 degrees BTDC.

If the timing chain was off a tooth at the crank would the cam gear still be able to point straight up to 12:00 with the crank pully pointing to 0 degrees? Or to put it another way if the chain was off a tooth at the crank would it be obvious to see at the cam?

If I get the ignition in the correct relationship with the crank but the cam is out by a tooth would it run? -- Matt 
1999 4runner SR5, 3.4, auto, Horizon Blue

91 super yoda

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -56
  • Male Posts: 400
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Axe' em Jacks
    • View Profile
    • Old Town Customs
it'll start but it will run like crap. Rock and a lot of other companies make a timing set with two marks on the chain that perfectly line up with the marks on the sprockets. the mark on the cam sprocket kind of kicked to the left a little bit from what ive seen on a couple chains and could easily be confused to set the timing off by one tooth. try bringing #1 to TDC and setting the rotor to the #1 plug with the adjustment in the middle. you may have to turn the crank a little to achieve the position.

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
crank needs to be @ 0 and so does the top @ 12:00... the top is a little tag off, probably like 11:50 - 11:55 really
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

wrenchtech [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
crank needs to be @ 0 and so does the top @ 12:00... the top is a little tag off, probably like 11:50 - 11:55 really

11:57 is where my cam is at with the crank at TDC. I am a little worried because when the distributor star wheel (reluctor?) and the pick up sensor are lined up the distrbutor adjustment slot is maxed out, but maybe timing it when it's running will turn up different results (fingers crossed). It's my first time working on an RE motor. If she runs like crap I'll have a good idea what's wrong.

I should have gotten a new timing cover. The one I have is only two years old, but when the timing chain broke recently it took out the tabs in the bottom of the cover that keep the chain from falling off the crank gear while putting the motor back together. I was short of time to wait for a new cover to come by mail and thought the damage was minor and wouldn't affect the function. Turns out I had time. Live and learn! -- Matt

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
sounds like your distributor might be off a tooth.....

you should be able to move it forward and backward at tdc with crank and cam @ 0*
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

wrenchtech [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
I can't afford the aggravation of trying to start it and have the valve timing turn out to be off. However, I just realized that while the oil pan is still off I can make quick work of pulling the timing cover and checking the gears and chain. Far some reason I kept thinking I would have to take the intake and the head off.  :hammer: I'll git er done right!  -- Matt

snowrun

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 143
  • Male Posts: 155
  • Member since Dec '03
    • View Profile
When at TDC, with cam timing mark almost 12:00, hold the rotor in the 12:00 position, stab the distributor into the hole and it will rotate to the #1 cyl position when it reaches the cam gear. Set your timing and you are ready to go

wrenchtech [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
I did pull the timing cover off again and found that everything was OK. A couple of days later I got it fired up. I worried but everything worked out. Thanks for the support. -- Matt