Author Topic: Toyota driveline spacers  (Read 5044 times)

lowgeared

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 556
  • Member since Oct '03
    • View Profile
Toyota driveline spacers
« on: Mar 06, 2004, 07:28:55 PM »
I finished my rear sping to front swap and it came out pretty good.  I used three inch blocks in the rear.  The front I used three rear main leaves, two front bottom leaves, and the little short overload.  Setting pretty good right now any plenty flexy with the long shocks.  I am having some driveline issues obviously.  These are my options:  I have some axle relocation plates I got from Sky.  These would move the axle back an inch, but my ubolts are too short to accomodate the thickness of this plate plus the new spring---I already had to use some old rear ubolts on the front due to spring pack thickness.  My questions are:  where could I find some cheap ubolts about an inch longer and who makes drive line spacers that would fit a Toyota?  My time is at a premium and could do this stuff myself if I had more time.  I just want to stick these plates in with the longer ubolts and move the axle back an inch and possibly use a spacer in the driveline to compensate a little also.  I just built the drivelines last month to fit the Crawler in and don't want to screw with it.  Too busy getting another rig ready for Goldendale.  Thanks for the help.
Friends help you move.  Real friends help you move bodies.

KYOTA

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1759
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Wreckin Ball '09
    • View Profile
Re:Toyota driveline spacers
« Reply #1 on: Mar 06, 2004, 07:35:25 PM »
I built my own flip kit front and rear and my local driveline shop bent my u-bolts to my specs for about $7 each. Dont know about d-line spacer, good luck.

WHITE_TRASH

• Turtle Points: 679
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Don't blame me, I didn't vote for this crap.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mar 07, 2004, 12:02:09 AM »
 :eek: Hmmm... so what are YOU building for Goldendale???  How high is your rig??  It sounds like you have one heck of a pack!  I just put a set of 2 wheel rears in my 81 today.  I used no drop hanger, one short misc leaf with arch and another flat leaf just for some support.  All that with longer shackles and I think it too damned high!  Im gonna redo it some in the a.m.  It is VERY soft but what the heck its for Goldendale so why not.  So what wre your plans for Goldendale?  Or are they top secret :lipsrsealed:
WT
« Last Edit: Mar 07, 2004, 12:05:34 AM by WHITE_TRASH »
Full hydro, 186:1 with an auto and 44's what could go wrong??

lowgeared [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Oct '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Mar 07, 2004, 05:26:39 AM »
Actually my buddy is going to compete this time and I'll spot.  I ran in the NWRCA events at Vantage and he was my spotter so he's going to take a stab at it.  It is pretty high right now but it should settle.  I'm running 35's on this one (1984pu) and haven't cut and sheet metal yet.  My jeep has 35's with a springover and FS running gear and we cut the hell out of it to keep the rubber away from the metal.  This Toyota is just going to be another trail rig/daily driver and I don't know what I'm going to do with the 4runner or the other 85 pu.  The two rigs our group will run will be a shortie flatbed yota, dual cases, internal/external cage, longfields, geared and welded.  The other is a LWB sammy with a Klune-V and a Dana 300.  Both these guys can drive but they can't roll nearly as good as me!  :driving:

84runner

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 99
  • Member since Dec '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Mar 07, 2004, 10:27:28 AM »
Well for the front you can always go with the square tubing  :dunno: But I got my brothers driveline extended for $60.00 cash. Cash is always a little extra push especially with no reciept  :yupyup:
RUBICON TESTED BIG BALLS APPROVED

WHITE_TRASH

• Member since Feb '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Mar 08, 2004, 12:05:46 AM »
I just built a square driveline for the front of my 81 tonight.  Ive got about $15 in it.  I dont have to think twice about dragging it across the rocks either. ;) I think the peace of mind is worth the vibes in 4 wheel.
WT

lowgeared [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Oct '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Mar 08, 2004, 04:42:54 AM »
I took the short overload out and put the relocation plates in.  Worked out pretty good.  We've never had any vibe issues with any of our drivelines.  For instance, when I put the dual cases in, the rear we shortened in a lathe and used a dial indicator to get it as true as possible.  The front was lengthened by an internal sleeve.  This was mocked up, put into the front and spun between the two yokes and checked with a dial indicator, tacked, then removed and buzzed with the big 460V Mig.  I also only cut one end of a driveline off.  If both ends need to be cut, it will definately be a front.  These are round though.  Where are you guys finding this square stuff?  Farm type stuff??  I've seen slip shafts at the John Deere place in town that are splined about two feet.  These would make a sweet ass drive line for something with huge ujoints since the material is HEAVY.  Ever seen this stuff?

WHITE_TRASH

• Member since Feb '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Mar 08, 2004, 10:12:25 AM »
Yup the tractor stuff is pretty sweet.  Ive got a lot of friends that work at farm/ tractor repair shops that I could get some from.  Case sells some really sweet stuff it comes is 5' lengths.  Its pretty spendy so Im waiting on a buddy to cough up some $$ to split the cost.  As for the square stuff thats easy reciever tube.  I used 2" tube outer and  1" inner.  I figure I can pretty much land on the DL and not destroy it.
WT

84runner

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 99
  • Member since Dec '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Mar 08, 2004, 11:25:00 PM »
Ya you could even tow with that front shaft to WHITETRASH :yupyup:
RUBICON TESTED BIG BALLS APPROVED