Author Topic: X-over steering Q  (Read 875 times)

rockcrawlinredneck

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 109
  • Male Posts: 404
  • Member since Jul '06
  • 1st Gen's rule
    • View Profile
X-over steering Q
« on: Mar 17, 2007, 08:55:45 PM »
Does any company make a shorter than stock pitman arm? By shorter I mean box mount to TRE mount. I have looked on Marlin, Sky, TG, FROR, All Pro, and Rockstomper. Unless I am blind they do not offer one. Does any one know of a company to get one? I want to move my axle forward more but I do not want to move my box again. If I could get a shorter arm that would solve my problem.

Kevin

Gittinit

• throttle jockey!
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 28
  • Male Posts: 2,293
  • Member since Sep '06
  • out from under my rock, and ready to roll
    • View Profile
Re: X-over steering Q
« Reply #1 on: Mar 17, 2007, 10:30:03 PM »
I think thr 2wd pitman arm is shorter, but don't know if it would work in your aplication. A shorter arm is not the best way to do it in my opinion. A shorter arm will decrease your steering and not allow you to turn as sharply. For tire clearance issues you could tub the firewall back to the body mount but more than likely you will want to move your steering box and axle foward for that better aproach angle
Hug your kids, pray for a soldier, and don't sweat the small stuff.

my favorite places:
http://www.flatnasty.net/
http://www.orvpark.com/

– fortysixandtwo – sorry, i prefer marlin because aside from gittinit, no one is a know it all a hole

rockcrawlinredneck [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 109
  • Male Posts: 404
  • Member since Jul '06
  • 1st Gen's rule
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mar 18, 2007, 09:49:47 AM »
I did not think of the steering limitation's when I was thinking about it, good call. I am going to tub the cab but my 37's rub like hell and want to switch up to 40's. I was gonna swap the main leaf on my 44044's to a Toy rear main leaf  to get a little more stretch out of what I already have. The axle is already pushed forward 3", and the box is pushed all the way up to the radiator support. I have cut out half of that support already don't know how much more I could cut with out sacrificing integrity. I guess I could swap the main leaf's and see if there is going to be a clearance issue. I held the Toy main up and it looks like it will put the tie rod into the draglink but that was with out the weight of the truck. Can any one come up with a solution with out having to move my steering box?

Kevin

MocKKnighT

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 77
  • Member since Nov '05
  • They Make Beer Commercials Like This
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Mar 18, 2007, 01:14:01 PM »
FJ60/62 box will solve your problem cause it's reverse cut, so the pitman arm is on the front side of the box.
Wheeler: 85 4runner = Fun.....

DD: 97 Taco

STOLEN AND CHOPPED! :( 84 Pickup.......22R, Weber, Lift, Winch, Gears