Author Topic: 3.4L and Cruise Control  (Read 1253 times)

Benge Scott

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 30
  • Member since Aug '02
    • View Profile
3.4L and Cruise Control
« on: Mar 11, 2007, 10:48:56 AM »
Folks,

I've have completed my 3.0 to 3.4L engine swap in my '88 Runner (which works sweet by the way) and now I'm trying to install a late model cruise control from a 4Runner that has the integrated controller and servo motor.  Basically it's not working and I could use some help.

Here are the symptoms.  The cruise turns on, as the indicator light comes on so I'm getting power to the controller, but the controller doesn't engage at any speed.  I've verified that the switch is working correctly as well.  I'm taking the speed pulse input directly from the original speedo gauge and have verified that it's getting to the input of the controller.  My engine ECU picks up the speed correctly as I get a correct reading when hooked up to the OBDII port and reading it using Digimoto software.  One thing is that there's a signal that feeds from the ECU to the cruise which is suppose to indicate throttle position, open or closed.  I'm not getting any change in this signal based upon throttle position even though I've verified that my throttle position sensor is working properly and I'm not popping any CELs.  But I don't know how important this signal is to the cruise controller for engagement.  There are also some input signals that are for an automatic transmission but my schematics lead me to believe these are not hooked up with a manual transmission which I have.  As the voltage on this signal should be anywhere between 10-16V when the throttle is full open, I've jumpered this signal to 12V but still, no working cruise.

Anyway, I was hoping that there were some one here who might have a bit more working knowledge of how this cruise is suppose to work or who has got one working themselves. 

'88 SR5 4Runner, 3.4L swap, SAS with Marlin 3.5" springs, e-locks front & rear with 4.88's, Marlin Dual Crawler with Twin-stick, drive shaft e-brake, 33's on 16" rims, tube sliders & rear bumper.