Author Topic: Pepto bismol  (Read 1005 times)

Mnmstoy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 50
  • Male Posts: 230
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Mike's 80Toy
    • View Profile
Pepto bismol
« on: Jul 10, 2007, 10:15:08 AM »
I drained the 82 4x4 yota's tranny yesterday and the gear oil look like pepto-pismol. Just wondering if anyone knew what kind of gear oil that is?
Looks like a pinkish color with the same thickness as gear oil. I would rather put the same back in.
Mike

My friend is broke and he wants to use his pilot bearing that is already in his 22R to go with the L43 tranny that came off of my truck. Just wanted to know if the L43 shaft will fit. We tried like hell to get the tranny in yesterday. It just wont go in. Today I broke down and got a tranny jack from H.F. We are going to hit it tomorrow again.
any tricks would be great. I have never done a Toyota tranny before...just chevy (M21/turbo350) and that was way easy...I put the tranny in neutral so the splines can turn some if they need to.   The clutch is straight...I used the plastic spline shaft pin that came with my kit to make sure it was straight even though we didn't remove the clutch part.
« Last Edit: Jul 10, 2007, 06:28:58 PM by Mnmstoy »

rage

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 26
  • Male Posts: 142
  • Member since Jul '06
    • View Profile
Re: Pepto bismol
« Reply #1 on: Jul 10, 2007, 05:43:47 PM »
Do not bet on my opinion, but EVERY time ANY oil has ever been pink, milky, or creamy, its been because of water getting into said oil. :twocents:

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 10, 2007, 05:48:44 PM »
is this an automatic tranny? the reason i ask, is ATF is red.... if its pepto colored, then there probably was water in it...
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Mnmstoy [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 50
  • Male Posts: 230
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Mike's 80Toy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jul 10, 2007, 06:32:32 PM »
The tranny behind the 82 is a L50....manual tranny. The oils has been sitting for a day now...should it already have separate if it was water? Looks the same as it came out of the tranny.
Mike