Author Topic: 67 FJ40 axle question  (Read 4409 times)

smalltownspeed

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 4
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
67 FJ40 axle question
« on: Jan 31, 2007, 10:06:36 PM »
I bought an axle pulled from a low mileage 67 FJ40 to use in a project Im puttin together. What are my options as far as new axle shafts, and maybe as far as narrowing it by shortening the long side? And these axles are pretty stout, right? Its got 4:11's and Im pretty sure its a posi.

Ive also got the front axle, drum to drum that Im not going to use. Whats a fair asking price? I dont mind making someone a good deal on it, cause I want to get it to someone who can use it, and get it out of my way.

Thanks,
Cory

Oh, I dont know if yall do intros around here so heres a quick one:
Im 22, a certified firefighter/emt and in the process finding a job. I used to race moto and did track side support out of my boxvan, but havent done much off road anything(YET...) as far as 4 wheels go. Over the past few years Ive been really into low buck traditional hot rods and customs.

Dooner

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 217
  • Male Posts: 769
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Invest in precious metal
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Re: 67 FJ40 axle question
« Reply #1 on: Jan 31, 2007, 11:11:31 PM »
 :welcome: aboard Corey! What kind of project are you working on that youd wanna narrow a cruizer rear end for? I suppose if your building something along the lines of an ATV size buggy, you could use a second short side axle and shorten the tube.

Post some pics so we can get a better idea of what you need.
Mike
"Project Land Cruzah" In Land Cruiser Section
71 FJ40 327/465/ 4.7 Mini T/c, Trussed, Armored Mini Axles w/ High Cross Over, Aussie Lockers & 30 spline Longs.  p/s 35's, SOA, , .  86 Burb D-60 14 bolt 350/400/205 37's.  02 F350 Tow Barge, Toyo 38's, Banks 5" Wicked wheel turbo, Edge Juice w/ Attitude, Blah Blah Blah

FIREBALL

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 190
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Hi Ho Marlin....u talkin to me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Feb 01, 2007, 12:57:11 PM »
67 cruiser stuff isn't really worth much unfortunatly. The birfields up front are coarse spline and pretty weak as far as yota axles go. The rear pinion is also a bit of a weak spot. It's also a coarse spline. What is your project and how much hp are you going to be running? The axles themselves are pretty beefy. If you are buildin a rod and plan on some launches from the stoplights I would look into weather or not you can put later model r&p with a fine spline pinion and also build a good traction bar to keep the rear end from rotating at all. That is usually the cause of the broken pinions.

Bender

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 44
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 01, 2007, 01:05:27 PM »
You'll find a few more opinions on those axles here:

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=30450.msg337100#msg337100

I'm interested in the project you're planning. I'm not sure that axle is worth the time/money it will take to narrow it.  Watch out for the pinion!

smalltownspeed [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Feb 01, 2007, 02:11:18 PM »
If I narrow it, it would idealy be about 4" off of the long side. Can the orignal shafts be resplined, or could I buy a shorter shaft just for one side?

Im planning on putting together an old willys jeep wagon as an old school gasser. Narrowing it that much would allow me run some fat rubber, while still being wide enough to leave some hanging out the sides. But also remember, Im probably going to end up running adapters to get it to 5 lug which will widen it a little bit and make finding some cool old school wheels much easier. Most of the wheels I would want to run also have very little B/S to them. That willys wagon alredy has a relativly short wheel base, and Ill be doing a bit of an engine set back(for weight distribution/transfer), and having it sitting pretty high so narrowing the long side would also help center the pumpkin and make the drive shaft angle a little bit softer.

As far as power goes, thats kinda up in the air, depends on what I find a deal on(buildin it on the cheep, remember..). Im guessing somewhere in the neighborhood of 250-450. Its going to have some very stout ladder bars, so axle wrap wont be a problem.

And you say the axles arent worth much. Are we talkin $150 for the front, or more like $50?

FIREBALL

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Feb '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Feb 01, 2007, 03:31:59 PM »
Probably more like $50. Not a lot of demand for the old stuff these days. For us wheelers it would cost a bundle to upgrade to discs and replace the axles with either later model stuff or chromo Longfield axles.
If you are trying to stay as cheap as possible I would shorten the longside to match the short side, then you only have to find anthor shortside axle. You might even find one on here in the classifieds. By the time  you get your adapters and short b/s wheels it might be about right.

FIREBALL

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Feb '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Feb 01, 2007, 04:09:10 PM »
Here's a set of rear axles for $50 plus shipping. http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=536720
If that's too narrow you could run a FJ80 land cruiser rear. It has the same basic 3rd but is wider to begin with, so if you narrowed the long side to match the short it would still be wider than the FJ40 rear. The FJ80 is also a full floater rear, so if you did have to get axles made it would probably be easier and cheaper.

Bender

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 44
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Feb 01, 2007, 06:15:34 PM »
Probably more like $50. Not a lot of demand for the old stuff these days.

I'd guess that you'd be lucky to get $50 for the front.  After I broke my second pinion on the rear I tried to give the axle away and couldn't.  I ended up taking it to the junk yard. 

smalltownspeed [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Feb 05, 2007, 11:31:51 PM »
Well, I was hoping I could get a little money out of the front, but thats alright, cause I bought it mainly for the rear. If any of yall need the front or know someone that does, let me know, and they can have it. Ive got a scrap guy that will get it, but Id rather it go to someone who can use it.

Do yall think that in a some what light vehicle, with some traction/ladder bars, w/o slicks, on the street the rear could hold about 375hp? Or would that be really pushing my luck?

Where is the best place to get adpaters to go to a 5 lug pattern?

Thanks again.

cruzila

• Go go cruzila!
  • Hawk
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 41
  • Male Posts: 3,848
  • Member since May '02
  • MC20/21 Toybox #002 2.28 = 154:1
    • View Profile
    • MTA
« Reply #9 on: Feb 06, 2007, 07:13:43 AM »
Lowball prices if you ask me. That front end could be worth as much as 200.00 to the right person. A few years ago it could have been worth 500.00 The differential is worth half of it. Part it out and you could get more.

Cruiser stuff just is starting in the wrong place. Ford 9" in the rear. The 9" comes 5 lug and can be shortened as easier than the cruiser axle. You get the strongest pinion design out there too. Not to mention the ratios available. from 2.50:1 to over 7:1
If you would like to help save the Rubicon, send money to the Rubicon Trail Foundation

Friends of Eldorado National Forest

FIREBALL

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Feb '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Feb 06, 2007, 07:59:26 AM »
Part out what? Drum brakes that don't work and coarse spline birfs that everyone has already replaced. I think you inhaled some of you're own smoke cruz.
I definetly agree on the 9". My buddy is putting togeather his narrowed 9" for his rat rod this week. I've got a mini truck rear with a dana 50 center section and a dana 60 ARB in it that might work, but it's still to wide for what these guys are doing. (actually its Marlins but it's taking up space in my garage lol)

cruzila

• Go go cruzila!
  • Hawk
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 41
  • Male Posts: 3,848
  • Member since May '02
  • MC20/21 Toybox #002 2.28 = 154:1
    • View Profile
    • MTA
« Reply #11 on: Feb 06, 2007, 01:22:06 PM »
could could could get more ....... puff puff
If you would like to help save the Rubicon, send money to the Rubicon Trail Foundation

Friends of Eldorado National Forest

toyota landman

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 32
  • Member since Feb '07
  • put it to the wood
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Feb 08, 2007, 07:02:54 PM »
i have a 67 fj 40 i just got a rear axle it was cut down and now a rockwell he said it costed over 2000 bucks i got it for around 700 with a frame
yota time

ranger

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 17
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Feb 11, 2007, 12:38:18 PM »
You are better off buying a 9" rear for what you want to do. Trying to narrow a cruiser axle housing and getting the shafts resplined is not worth the $ or the hassle.

toyota landman

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 32
  • Member since Feb '07
  • put it to the wood
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Feb 12, 2007, 07:17:38 PM »
the guy i bought it from already did the the hard work and spent the money and it came with a frame so i got lucky i dont know much about cruisers thats why i joined this site the axle took the beating of a 302 so i thought it could handle a 215 v8
yota time