Author Topic: Doublecab Taco?  (Read 2304 times)

8D3TOY

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Member since May '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Doublecab Taco?
« on: Jan 24, 2007, 05:42:38 PM »
Hey all,
   I've been kind of looking at the double cab like an 03 or 04 and wondered if anyone has anything to say good or bad.  I have read alot about the probs with lifting and stuff but just need a comfortable DD that will fit the wife and the boy.  Let me  know,thanks.

mojavehanna

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
Re: Doublecab Taco?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 30, 2007, 08:21:25 AM »
The 01 - 04's are awesome! Good on the road, great on the trail, especially with a rear locker, tons of aftermarket support, and descent quality. There are not too many issues with Tacomas of this year and they are comfortable DD's even if you have small kids. I love my 04 DC, same wheelbase as an EX. cab and only slightly heavier, but still just as capable with more interior room... its the best of both worlds. Stay away from the 05 and later, the quality is lower IMO and they dont do nearly so well on the trail.

8D3TOY [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since May '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Feb 11, 2007, 11:30:53 AM »
Thanks Mojave!  Most people I talk to either mod the heck out of them and have problems associated with that or are just kinda dorks who complain about the cost of an oil change and how it should get 25mpg because its a Toyota.  It is nice to get some Toyota guy feedback.  I see alot of 03-04's priced higher than 05's so they seem to hold some value. Alot of the 05 owners I talked to say its too big for a tacoma if they wanted big they would have gone Tundra.

mojavehanna

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 13, 2007, 03:36:52 PM »
The later models are fine for street rigs, if you want a vehicle that can hold its own on the trail buy pre 04. Mine is locked front and rear with a new crawler with 4.70's so its not exactly stock anymore, but its funny when I go on runs and guys in stock wranglers on 29's try to tell me "your not going to make that". I just look at them and walk right up the nastiest line with my IFS daily driver and laugh. Even with just the rear locker option and some decent tires like a BFG a/t they do really well and surpise the Jeep guys all the time. Of course the Jeep crowd seem to think if it doesnt say jeep its not "trail rated".  :rofl2: Eventually I will go SAS and be able to dominate all but the toughest trails like the Hammers. There is a lot of room to "grow" with a Tacoma IMO while still getting you from point A to B.

Even on 33's I get decent gas mileage but I regeared to 4.56's and drive like an old man, ~ 18mpg hwy. Not too bad for a V6, auto. and its still a very comfortable day to day driver. Although, I could deal with a little less tire noise.

05's and later seem to have more quality control issues, have exploding rear ends, cracking engine mounts/ frames, less aftermarket support, and are just plain too big to wheel. :twocents:
« Last Edit: Feb 13, 2007, 03:46:38 PM by mojavehanna »

TacoStewie

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 4
  • Male Posts: 816
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Feb 13, 2007, 04:17:20 PM »
the only thing bad is no 5speed :thumbdown:
4THEWKN

8D3TOY [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since May '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Feb 15, 2007, 03:44:12 PM »
I still have my 83 just looking for a DD probably will do little or nothing to it(famous last words) Dude at work has one and let me drive it around seemed pretty good to me and I kinda like the auto trans I could eat and drive again