Author Topic: Manual locking hub problems....  (Read 3284 times)

Poowoo

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -9
  • Male Posts: 144
  • Member since May '05
  • What is the jeep thing?
    • View Profile
Manual locking hub problems....
« on: Nov 27, 2006, 08:37:38 AM »
Alright I have just done a knuckle rebuild on my toyota and I am trying to get everything put back together and I have one side all done and put back together and on the other side I have everything put back together all the way to the lock out hub part. And when I put it on and try and turn it to lock it will not go all the way just half way. It is a Toyota OEM Aisin manual hub. Any suggestions?

Shamb

• Raisin in the making..
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 133
  • Male Posts: 3,414
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Proud Parent
    • View Profile
Re: Manual locking hub problems....
« Reply #1 on: Nov 27, 2006, 09:02:43 AM »
Are you sure you put the axle all the way in?   Birf may be sticking out to much to allow full rotation.

Whats the hub look like when you pull it off?   i'd start with pulling off the hub and trying to spin it back and forth while its off, that'll tell you whether or not its a problem with the hub itself or something else.

post up your results.
R.I.P to my Papa, I miss you pops......

Knowledge is power  www.pirate4x4.com/forum

New Buildup in process 85' 4runner "Bad Decisions"
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=52566.0

Check out my 1-ton build up thread
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=22600.0

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Nov 27, 2006, 01:28:14 PM »
Alright I have just done a knuckle rebuild on my toyota and I am trying to get everything put back together and I have one side all done and put back together and on the other side I have everything put back together all the way to the lock out hub part. And when I put it on and try and turn it to lock it will not go all the way just half way. It is a Toyota OEM Aisin manual hub. Any suggestions?
U did rebuild the hub too? I'm guessing.... Double check the hub itself. Like shamb said make sure u can lock and unlock the hub with it off.
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

Poowoo [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -9
  • Male Posts: 144
  • Member since May '05
  • What is the jeep thing?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Nov 28, 2006, 11:15:50 AM »
Alright yeah I gave up on it that night... and I went to work on it last night and it slipped right in and it was working great. So yeah I am not quite sure what the deal was. Yes I rebuilt the knuckles and the hubs, its the first time I had ever done that so I was trying to be really careful. But the 4Runner is geared 5.29's front and rear with an Aussie Locker in the front and open in the rear. All I need to do is get my driveline lengthened and I will be ready. And by the way thank you for your help both of you :)

Gewehr43

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -5
  • Male Posts: 348
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Toyota>>Jeep
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 12, 2007, 07:05:56 AM »
I had this problem recently on my '82.  Rebuilt the whole front axle including the Aisin Hubs.  Reassembled them and they worked. When I bolted them up they would engage, but then immediately get stuck and not disengage. Do you have a factory service manual?  The internal spring MUST be properly oriented for the hub to work correctly.  Took some playing around with, but now it works great!!