Author Topic: What College Major Would You Suggest!?  (Read 6346 times)

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,059
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: What College Major Would You Suggest!?
« Reply #30 on: Nov 30, 2006, 09:55:57 PM »
I took a look at that site...seems like a great site!(Unfortunatly it would take away from my time on here, lol) I'll definatley post something up there and see what they think.

Alright so I have a question...Of the people that work at marlin what do their degrees consist of?

I think BigMike is currently taking mechanical engineering, but I don't know if it is in any way related to MCI.  If I remember correctly, Marlin has an auto mechanic and machinist background.  I have no idea about anyone else and I may be incorrect in what I have said.

:dunno:

1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

sam2145871 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 239
  • Member since Aug '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Dec 01, 2006, 06:00:33 AM »
Here are 2 pics of the last fab project I did. I bear hunt during the summer and ealy fall months and I couldn't find a dog box that was big enough(I have 11 fullsize hounds and 6 pups at the moment) or a design I liked. So out came the TIG torch, lol. Its all diamond plate aluminum with every seam TIG welded. Just for a general size, it takes up all the room of a short box on a toyota and complete covers the rear window as far as height. I have a seperate flatbed that I put on the truck in my avatar during season for this box. I know it doesn't have much to do with "off-roading" per say, but you should see the stuff we go through here to get to our dogs, lol.
"If it ain't broke....you aren't driving hard enough!"
"She'll Buff Out"

germ

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 349
  • Male Posts: 733
  • Member since Dec '04
  • Work sucks, I'm goin' wheelin
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Dec 01, 2006, 10:21:59 AM »
It seems that when I can lay out a math problem into an actual "real world" problem I can grasp it.

I couldn't pass trig (took it 3 times) until I figured out I could use it to calculate drive line angles. Then suddenly everything fell into place, and I passed it with an A.

Erik :usa:
* Regardless of what happens, someone will find a way to take it too seriously.
* 2% rule: Must be 2% smarter than what your working on.
* If you make something even a fool can use, only a fool will use it.
* I've been crapping in the woods longer than lil'buddy has been alive!

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Dec 01, 2006, 11:40:08 AM »
I couldn't pass trig (took it 3 times) until I figured out I could use it to calculate drive line angles. Then suddenly everything fell into place, and I passed it with an A.

You can do just about anything with trig/geometry.  It sounds like motivation and the unblief that it could be useful was all that was holding you back!
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #34 on: Dec 01, 2006, 12:57:10 PM »

It's funny how that happens ain't it.

A friend of mine took the keep it small approach in school lets say one step at a time kind of approach. I think it took him almost 10 yrs. to get a degree in business management but he did it slowly, at Pepperdine U. a few classes here and there not a full itinerary but enough to keep going and it worked for him, thankfully his mother was as understanding too and he lived at home all that time. I know it's been hard for me to go from what would be a standard management scheme to restaurant management, food management is critical. Soon it is back to school for me and at 47 it's odd. :reg:
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

sam2145871 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Dec 01, 2006, 01:49:03 PM »
Yes I had the same thing with Geometry. I began to use it so often in my shop classes that it was a breeze. Then came Algebra, well lets say that it's been a struggle since then. I'm now in calc 1 and I'm also seeing that not taking a trig class is really hindering me. If only there was a good way to relate all these calc problems to something practical I believe I would do much better, but till then I'll limp through it.
"She'll Buff Out"

6.72:1

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 73
  • Male Posts: 1,856
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Stuck with 2.5ton Rocks....
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: Dec 01, 2006, 03:31:56 PM »
You aren't the only one that hates math.

I am a Pre-medicine, Biology major, with a minor in German and math certainly is taking up a large portion of my time.

Now, anything to do with the body, I can grasp with a sense of immediacy, but when numbers get involved....
I had a friend once (and now) that says "when they start puttin' letters in math?"
He is a slow one, but even he is going to make it, so don't worry!

Don't worry about negative comments that advisor's make. Sometimes they don't think before they speak, like so many other humanoid/earthlings.
My advisor said, "Let me look at your profile: Pre-Medicine, Biology Major, German Minor...good luck son...."

Don't you know I was glad to hear that!

mrkupfer@gmail.com
Cell: (205) 919-3290
www.Kupferphotography.com

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Dec 01, 2006, 04:39:25 PM »
My most difficult quarter in college (engineering program) I was only taking 12 hours of classes and two labs, but I was doing homework on average for at least 6 hours a day during the week to cover three of the classes and the 4th class was almost always a Sunday project of 4-6 hours on top of the normally required homework in the other classes.  I didn't study from Friday night to Sunday morning, with a few Saturday evening events in extreme circumstances.  That quarter kicked my butt.  It was literally go to class, study, sleep, eat, work for 3-5 hours at night and a few potty breaks.

Yota85

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 63
  • Member since Dec '04
  • Deep Sea Diving
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Dec 01, 2006, 06:21:55 PM »
For shure you can do this! When Im not out in the gulf diving I need a shop to go home and work for.
83 SR5 short box  5.29 detroit rear aussie front 3inch 33bfg mt's

sam2145871 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Dec 01, 2006, 08:11:37 PM »
LOL!!! You know it bro! i dont care if it takes me the better half of a decade, I'll get through all this. We will have that shop man!
"She'll Buff Out"

Hottrod81

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Male Posts: 1,392
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Full Trucker Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Dec 02, 2006, 10:41:47 PM »
I would suggest a major that includes women and lots of drinking.

sam2145871 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Dec 03, 2006, 07:02:26 AM »
LOL!!! Well I think I'm at the wrong school then....well atleast for the women. I'm in the U.P. of Michigan, SNOW COW country, lol! They also have a say...Michigan Tech, where the men are men and so are the women!!!!
"She'll Buff Out"

Hottrod81

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Male Posts: 1,392
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Full Trucker Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Dec 03, 2006, 09:13:01 AM »
Sorry to hear that.  Looks like it's time to transfer, LOL

sam2145871 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Dec 03, 2006, 09:40:50 AM »
It isnt to bad...I convinced my girlfriend to come up here with me!!!
"She'll Buff Out"

6.72:1

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 73
  • Male Posts: 1,856
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Stuck with 2.5ton Rocks....
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Dec 03, 2006, 10:55:19 PM »
LOL!!! Well I think I'm at the wrong school then....well atleast for the women. I'm in the U.P. of Michigan, SNOW COW country, lol! They also have a say...Michigan Tech, where the men are men and so are the women!!!!

Haha...we got cows here in the South too, so don't feel bad.

mrkupfer@gmail.com
Cell: (205) 919-3290
www.Kupferphotography.com