Author Topic: Detroit EZ Locker Opinions Wanted  (Read 1949 times)

HyDesertMutant

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 6
  • Member since Oct '03
    • View Profile
Detroit EZ Locker Opinions Wanted
« on: Jan 23, 2004, 04:16:48 PM »
Hi everyone,
I had been wanting a locker for my 82 Toyota's rear, and my Jeep pal recommended an EZ locker. I like the idea because from what I understand, they are affordable, easy to install, and better quality than a Lock-Right.
I am concerned about durabilitY, and daily drive-ability.
Anybody here have opinions that they'd like to share before I shell out my $$$?

4.3 headache

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -182
  • Male Posts: 321
  • Member since Aug '03
  • keep goin!!
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re:Detroit EZ Locker Opinions Wanted
« Reply #1 on: Jan 23, 2004, 06:24:44 PM »
  Don't know the general consensus but can tell u that my experi ence with e-z locker was bad!!  had 1 in the rear of an 84 s/b s/c 4x4 toy and anytime I was on throttle under  any slight load it would lock up  then unlock when let  off . they are designed to do that but mine actually made rear end jerk a bit  :confounded:

I live in the mountains and it really sucked driving in snow with a@@ end trying to jump around on paved roads with other cars.

I ended  up buying a detroit hard locker for rear n put e-z in front WAAAAYYY better unit!
all i want is a little more than i'll ever get!!

84runner

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 99
  • Member since Dec '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 26, 2004, 10:36:59 PM »
I am surprised you are better of with the good old detriot in the rear. I works great like no bodys business but the street manners are poor from my experience. Now for the ez-locker I have no eperince on the road with those in the rear, but On the trail I felt that they slipped a little to much for and that was in the front
RUBICON TESTED BIG BALLS APPROVED

tribliska

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -20
  • Male Posts: 18
  • Member since Feb '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 27, 2004, 08:01:19 PM »
I have had an EZ locker in the rear of my 80 pickup for a year and a half and have been pleased with it.  I haven't tried anything else, but I feel it performs well and gives great traction.  I haven't had problems with it slipping on the trail.  As far as street driveability,  it takes about a week to get used to the understeer and chirps, but if you follow the guidelines on how to drive as outlined the owners manual, you should be able to handle it fine.  As far as installation, I took out my third member and had the local 4wd shop put the locker in.  I didn't want to mess with the R&P backlash and felt I didn't want to have to take it apart again if I did it wrong.  It was $90 for them to install it (1.5 hrs x $60/hr).  Overall, I am pleased with it.
'80 pickup, 20R, shackle lift, 31s, crawler, EZ locker in rear