Author Topic: Red Headed Stranger's Slightly Orange 1st Gen Build  (Read 4360 times)

TRHS1980

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 234
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
Red Headed Stranger's Slightly Orange 1st Gen Build
« on: Oct 21, 2006, 12:19:22 PM »
Okay boys and girls, I've finally decided to start my buildup thread. I guess I'll start from the beginning. I managed to get myself a 1999 Toyota Tacoma 3RZ 5 speed 4x4 a few years back. This truck started my never ending  :love: affair with all things toyota. It was a theft recovery bought through auction and finally sold to me  :eyebrow:. I did my first offroading in this truck. Never got into anything too serious, just cruising around the desert trying to find the road less traveled. Late last year this truck was totalled by my brother on the freeway. It took a couple guys to push it upright off of the passanger side, once this was done the truck started right back up  :inthedark: ... but the body damage was pretty bad, beyond what I would want to try to fix. My brother wasn't covered under my insurance  :shakehead: , so I got to upgrade to a 1980 SB that a painter at my friends shop was selling (he bought a brand new tacoma of course). With very little experience working on cars, I wasn't willing to attempt the much sought after 3RZ swap, though trust me, I spent many nights thinking about doing it. I just didn't have the time, tools, resources, knowledge... ya know, all those little things you need to complete a swap like that. So I sold my baby to finance the fixing of my new project. The money was much needed since a couple months after buying my 1st gen, the 20R threw a rod bearing  :shocking: ...

Okay, so that brings us to current. This is what I've put into my truck in the past 6 months...

- 22R Early Block .040 over
- HP Rods with ARP Bolts
- DOA Pistons
- DOA Rings
- 20R Head
- 22R Rocker Arms
- DOA C270 Cam
- O/S Valves
- DOA Dual Valve Springs
- Dual Row Timing
- New Oil Pump, Water Pump, et cetera
- 20R Intake with Weber 32/36 DGEV
- Thorley 4-2-1
- 2 1/4 Pipe Back to Flowmaster Muffler
- Rebuilt W56 Tranny ("A" I believe)
- Rebuilt Top Shift T/C
- JE REEL Rear Driveshaft

Then of course all of those little things, new gaskets, fuel pressure regulator (Holley), new OEM fuel filter, secondary aftermarket fuel filter, new radiator hoses, new thermostat, new clutch master and slave cylinders, new plugs, wires, rotor, new clutch kit, resourfaced flywheel, new battery... et cetera

Onto some pics...
« Last Edit: Oct 21, 2006, 03:35:45 PM by THRS1980 »
2007 Tacoma 4x4 6-speed on 35's

"In all affairs it's a healthy thing now and then to hang a question mark on the things you have long taken for granted."

TRHS1980 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
Here's some pictures...

"In all affairs it's a healthy thing now and then to hang a question mark on the things you have long taken for granted."

TRHS1980 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
and more...

TRHS1980 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
Do these shackles look stock?

TRHS1980 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
Front and Rear axles...

TRHS1980 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
Seats out of the Tacoma with Wet Okole seat covers on them (soon to be on sale)... Interior shot.

The truck has been gutted, carpet, headliner, everything inbetween... has a leak on passanger side bottom of windscreen... little spots of cancer on floor, but nothing too bad. Frame is solid (california is at least good for one thing).

TRHS1980 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
Seats...

TRHS1980 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
One more engine bay... planning on getting a new radiator soon. Think I'll go with the 3 core out of turbo/V6 trucks. Everything needs work on the truck, but the engine bay shouldn't need much more money for the next 300,000+ miles.

TRHS1980 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
Okay, well that's all the pictures for now. I've used this board a lot in order to get everything together. Like a mentioned earlier, I'm kinda learning as I go here so I appreciate feedback as needed. This build is going to go fairly slow for me, and will be my daily driver for at least the next couple years. Because I'm new to the sport and because I will be DD this rig, I don't plan on ever going over 35's (until I have another vehicle) and I am pretty dead set electric locker(s). This truck is TOYOTA ONLY and will not be sporting any chevy rears or domestic v6/v8's or any of the other crap that people throw onto toyota's... to each his own and kumbaya and all that, but when it comes down to it I drive toyota because that's where my passion is and this won't ever change. I'm willing to spend the extra money on better made parts, and I'm willing to spend the extra money to keep it in the family.

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
This truck is TOYOTA ONLY and will not be sporting any chevy rears or domestic v6/v8's or any of the other crap that people throw onto toyota's... to each his own and kumbaya and all that, but when it comes down to it I drive toyota because that's where my passion is and this won't ever change. I'm willing to spend the extra money on better made parts, and I'm willing to spend the extra money to keep it in the family.

a true toyota purist. I like that. I'm the same way. Only Toyota oil in that baby and stuff like that. :pokinit:, I even use Lexus oil filters. That's still Toyota right? :yupyup: that truck looks like a sweet start :beerchug:
« Last Edit: Oct 21, 2006, 02:28:50 PM by Dirt Toy Boy »
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

trekker

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 50
  • Male Posts: 206
  • Member since Aug '05
  • crawlin with marlin
    • View Profile
That a nice truck,good start
I need a running 22r

CrazyYota

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 92
  • Male Posts: 1,072
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
sweet truck Very clean! :beerchug: seats are badass! :yesnod:
>Chuck Norris invented black. In fact, he invented the entire spectrum of visible light. Except pink. Tom Cruise invented pink.

boggerunner

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 9
  • Male Posts: 3,140
  • Member since May '06
  • Philberbuilt
    • View Profile
what are the seats out of, those are sweet

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco