Author Topic: Friday the 13th  (Read 3208 times)

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,057
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
Friday the 13th
« on: Oct 13, 2006, 06:19:34 PM »
Today at work certainly lived up to being FRIDAY THE 13TH!

:mad: :maddest: :tantrum:

It easily ranted in the top three for crazy days in my five plus years on the job and was quite possibly #1.  I don't even know how to describe it but I will try:

I work at a Navy shipyard and am a structural engineer for submarine mainanence.  The engineeringing department has been told to "stay until you are finished" on four of the projects that are finishing up.  I have been the lead on one of the 688 projects and today I was dealing without about 5 urgent problems that were all unrelated but ranged from stupid production workers, to repairs that the shipyard isn't qualified to do, to trying to figure out why a cover was leaking by talking 3rd hand on the phone to a diver that was neck deep in water trying to inspect and evaluate the problem onsite.  The phone was ringing almost before  had hung it up from the last crisis call.  At one point I was working on writing the technical document to fix one of the problems, had mechanics on the phone for another, and a manager sitting at my desk asking about a third.  One of my bosses nearly turned into my secretary because all we could do was answer the phone and find out about the next major issue.  The guys doing the work in some case, to quote Dilbert, "don't know their own masses from a black hole."  Several days ago we issued technical direction to open a tank for some emergent work and today the mechanic said that he wasn't able to positively identify the tank hatch from the drawing.  Another job involves a material that is new to us so we have to be really careful how we repair it or we end up not having any approved methods for repair.  Today we ended up having to make a completly new part because they went crazy with the grinder and dug a 1/4 deep trench in the plate that we can't weld repair.  In reality the most frustrating part of that problem is that the whole design is moronic and serves very little purpose but as the engingeer I have to enfore the technical requirements.

:mad: :maddest: :tantrum:

I know I am just a big cry baby, but  :rivers:
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: Friday the 13th
« Reply #1 on: Oct 13, 2006, 06:20:24 PM »
My wife thanks you for reading this as it is one less time she has to hear it!  :gap:
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Oct 13, 2006, 06:23:52 PM »
:therethere: its ok, only 5 hours until it is no longer friday the 13th.  But until then, I wouldn't move :nope:  don't wanna test your luck :hahaha:

sounds like a bummer of a bad day.  Did you get everything taken care of?
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Oct 13, 2006, 06:28:27 PM »
if it makes u feel better, I'm having a GOOD day :coffee:

ok probably not :rofl:
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Oct 13, 2006, 06:31:37 PM »
sounds like a bummer of a bad day.  Did you get everything taken care of?

I think everything got done assuming the guys doing the work use their brains.  I just hope I don't get called in the middle of the night with a stupid question...yes there ARE stupid questions.

Shamb

• Raisin in the making..
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 133
  • Male Posts: 3,414
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Proud Parent
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Oct 13, 2006, 06:34:23 PM »
:shrug:  just another day, had one bad customer today... he wont be liking me very much when he gets his next cable bill.

people need to understand that if they want me to help them fix their problems then they're going to be curtious atleast!

R.I.P to my Papa, I miss you pops......

Knowledge is power  www.pirate4x4.com/forum

New Buildup in process 85' 4runner "Bad Decisions"
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=52566.0

Check out my 1-ton build up thread
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=22600.0

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Oct 13, 2006, 06:38:03 PM »
with a stupid question...yes there ARE stupid questions.
:nope: no such thing as stupid questions....just stupid people.
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Female Posts: 299
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Oct 13, 2006, 06:38:33 PM »
It was Friday the 13th?
Life is like a bowl of beer flavored chocolate covered dog turds.. it makes no sense. :pokinit:

Where is the Mammoth?

How the Mammoth came to be

Number Two :pokinit:

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Oct 13, 2006, 06:51:11 PM »
i almost got run over by an airplane ;)
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Oct 13, 2006, 06:55:16 PM »
i almost got run over by an airplane ;)

I might have stepped in front of it begging for mercy.  :biked:

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Oct 13, 2006, 07:02:47 PM »
I might have stepped in front of it begging for mercy.  :biked:

well, it was about to back up, but it had its beacons on, and the stupid wingwalker cleared me to go behind it.... the gse crew didnt liek that very much, and i got chewed out for that

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

topar

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 1,909
  • Member since Aug '06
  • One Toyota + One Mopar = Topar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Oct 13, 2006, 07:59:35 PM »
I just got to work so PLEASE keep your bad luck  :crossed:

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Oct 13, 2006, 09:32:55 PM »
:nope: no such thing as stupid questions....just stupid people who ask questions

Fixed it for ya :gap:  Just work with the guys I work with, you'll quickly find out that there truly are stupid questions. 
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

- Sales Employee -

freds40

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 293
  • Male Posts: 2,331
  • Member since Dec '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Oct 14, 2006, 09:42:31 PM »
Gots me a ticket Friday morning.  :hammerhead: 5 am and I rolled a stopsign in the middle of no where when I didn't see any headlights. After crossing the intersection a car pulls out behind me from no where. About a mile later he lit em up and pulled me over. Luckily he was decent and I can take traffic school to clear it.
"between projects"

Hyena

• I'm Legit!!!
  • Turtle Points: 2401
  • Male Posts: 6,715
  • Member since Feb '04
  • AKA Baja Brad
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Oct 15, 2006, 07:36:54 PM »
i sat at an ironworker for 10 hours punching holes and cutting 3/16,1/4, and 3/8's inch flatbar and plate.  and then i went wheelin!

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Oct 15, 2006, 07:40:24 PM »
haha something else i forgot to add to above... my boss was standing within 5 feet of me when gse chewed me out... why? because my boss was chewing me out for taking too long to setup when gse came back from pushing the plane out to the taxiway......

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Kurlee Daddee

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 50
  • Male Posts: 206
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Dank Daddee Krew
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Oct 15, 2006, 09:12:37 PM »
I left work to go home all happy on Friday. Got home checked my pockets and found out I had left my cell phone at work. And I don't have a land line phone at home. So I had to run back to work and then back home again. 45 miles and wasted gas for a cell phone. It could only happen on Frida the 13th.
Kurlee Daddee
(THE ORIGINAL)
2005 Cadillac CTS-V
2003 Subaru WRX

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Female Posts: 8,265
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #17 on: Oct 16, 2006, 07:40:54 AM »
The only bad thing about Friday (for me) is it dragged on like none other :thud:
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -