Author Topic: question for 22re guys  (Read 1859 times)

canadian4runner

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jan '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
question for 22re guys
« on: Jul 13, 2006, 03:01:24 PM »
ok heres the problem i've a motor thats been done out (block) bored .40,honed,gasket surfaces were decked, (crank)ground .10,polished,balanced, (head) gasket surfaces were decked,1mm over size stainless steel valves were installed, dual valve springs were installed, cam caps, and a new performer RV cam installed, dual row timing chain..blah.blah....

anyways i think my head is pooched burn to much oil like LOTS..should i either get this head thats in the motor rebuilt ? or just find a stock 22re head and just get that rebuilt ( to stock specs) would there be a problem if i put on a stock head with these modifications ??

cheers jay

Tice

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 881
  • Member since Feb '05
  • I named my son Wheeler!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: question for 22re guys
« Reply #1 on: Jul 13, 2006, 03:10:54 PM »
How many miles are on it? Maybe the rings havn't set yet.  I had a rebuilt small block in a Blazer that burned oil bad even after 1000 miles. Turned out that when I installed the intake I pinched the gasket and it was sucking oil from the lifter valley. Not sure if a 22re could do that but it might be worth looking into.
I don't need a winch, I wheel a TOYOTA!!!!!!!

www.wheelingarizona.com

CTENG in KS

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -501
  • Male Posts: 4,295
  • Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
« Reply #2 on: Jul 13, 2006, 03:12:44 PM »
Perhaps I am confused, but I would think you might want to do a compression check and see if your rings are toast and maybe change head gaskets.  It doesn't seem that the head would be the first thought when burning oil.
IFS is best kept at ambient temperature in a pile of scrap in the backyard.  When kept under a functioning vehicle, it tends to greatly diminish said vehicle's offroad ability.     -reklund5

4Runner: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4580.0
Beastmaster: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=34339.0

canadian4runner [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jul 13, 2006, 03:36:13 PM »
How many miles are on it? Maybe the rings havn't set yet.  I had a rebuilt small block in a Blazer that burned oil bad even after 1000 miles. Turned out that when I installed the intake I pinched the gasket and it was sucking oil from the lifter valley. Not sure if a 22re could do that but it might be worth looking into.

the truck has atleast 3500miles on it

Perhaps I am confused, but I would think you might want to do a compression check and see if your rings are toast and maybe change head gaskets.  It doesn't seem that the head would be the first thought when burning oil.

i'am thinking of doing a compression test. well i should do it to see it the rings are done. its just that when i did and oil change a week ago i had atleast 2L of oil which was pretty scary to me. so im not sure if i should drive it down to kelowna. pretty much a 4 or 5hr drive from where i live. so im not sure. also i found this

those where on number 3 and 4 cylinders
any help would be great.thanks

UGLYTOY

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 14, 2006, 05:54:51 AM »
on the valve seal idea, keep in mind when u do the compression test it may come back low because all of that oil burning has carbon seized the rings by now (if it's the seals leaking)
when the block was honed, did the machine shop know what type of rings u were going to use? (ie, moly, factory, etc--it makes a difference for the crosshatch and can tear up the rings if they put in wrong type)--did u double check the ring gap, bore, etc before putting back together?
3&4 are farthest from the pump, but if lack of oil getting sprayed, i would think u would have other problems by now (you're not hearing any hammering and i assume when u took the oil cap off, it look like oil had been reaching the head)
let us know what u find, good luck....

canadian4runner [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jul 14, 2006, 12:24:53 PM »
got the compression numbers this is what i got.

also like the picture i had of the spark plugs. i got the same thing full of carbon 3&4.they shop knew which rings i was using. i  double checked everything and i checked everything again, before putting back everything. the thing is i know when it low on oil. u'll hear a hammering noise near the 3&4, ya full it back up and the noise is gone... i had a friend take a look at it and he use to work for jim pattersion of toyota. he said it could be ur valve seals. everyone that im asking are sayin that it is my valve seal. jus need another input. cheers jay

UGLYTOY

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jul 14, 2006, 01:16:21 PM »
numbers look good (at least for a 93, i assume they are all the same), last 2 slightly high compared to spec, probably due to the oil getting into the cylinders
one last thought since i don't remember where the oil hole is in the gsk to the head.....it isn't b/w cyl 3&4, is it....just wanting to make sure hdgsk not leaking past the oil hole into the cylinders (doubtful, but who knows if something was knicked, usually would leak externally anyway).....i'd lean towards the valve seals also, but kinda odd 2 cylinders would have been done wrong/leaking