Author Topic: Truck not charging  (Read 3858 times)

RustyToy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 481
  • Member since Dec '03
    • View Profile
Truck not charging
« on: Jul 05, 2006, 08:21:53 PM »
I'm running off the battery right now. I can't figure it out. I took the alternator and had it tested, they say its good. Its running like crap and if I disconnect the battery it dies. Its an 82 pickup, I'm about to shoot this truck.  :hammer:
I'd like to quit thinking of the present as some minor insignificant preamble to something else~~~~~

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
Re: Truck not charging
« Reply #1 on: Jul 05, 2006, 08:27:04 PM »
test the alternator yourself with a voltmeter, places that test them loose, well lets just say the workers are morons, and alts test good that are crap.....
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

RustyToy [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 05, 2006, 08:30:38 PM »
This is gonna sound ignant but the only way i know how to do it is to disconect the battery and if it dies then its the alt. I tried putting a volt meter to it. The volt meter in my truck is reading below 12 volts.
I'd like to quit thinking of the present as some minor insignificant preamble to something else~~~~~

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jul 05, 2006, 08:34:08 PM »
the in cab guages usually arent all that accurate, im talking about a voltmeter, like the actually test tool, not the stock guage...

have you checked the fuses? how are the ground wires?

disconnecting the battery and if it dies usually will point to charging system, do you have an internal voltage regulator or external?

get a multimeter and check its output, a properly charging system should produce around 14 volts of output
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

RustyToy [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 05, 2006, 08:37:00 PM »
its an external reg. i was thinking that could be the problem. (i hope) when i put a hand held volt meter to the alt it says 10 volts and that seams to be the reading i get all over and with the ground side touching all the grounding straps and what not.

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #5 on: Jul 05, 2006, 08:46:00 PM »
I don't know if an 82 still runs a volt meter or a amp meter? If you have an amp meter it is a part of the charging circuit and if you have a loose connection or a bad amp meter it will not charge the battery and will not allow the vehicle to run since the power runs through it and then to all your circuitry. My 80 has a amp meter in the center box and it stays at zero at all times, if it goes either direction you have a problem. It is a common problem with amp meters and the main reason they went to the volt meter since you can just add it to the system passively to get a reading.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

RustyToy [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jul 05, 2006, 08:56:51 PM »
i should test the amps, don't have a amp meter at the moment tho, thanks for the info. this is driving me nuts...

yotee

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 58
  • Male Posts: 247
  • Member since Jun '05
  • fatboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jul 06, 2006, 05:07:22 PM »
you put that regulator on yet?
was it the problem?

mike

skunkyoda

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 15
  • Male Posts: 65
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jul 06, 2006, 05:28:21 PM »
I had the same problem and I found the answer on here. you probably have a cracked ground or cracked positive off your battery, if it isnt your alt
1985 22RE EFI YOTA 4RUNNER, 31's, Open Diff's

Everybody knows there ain't no such thing as Leftover Crack

PLEASE GOD PROTECT ME FROM YOUR FOLLOWERS!!!!!!!

RustyToy [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jul 06, 2006, 05:41:46 PM »
Hey mike, ya changed that and it wasn't it. I'm about to dive into the wires. I have an LC distributor so I hope that isn't it. The strangest part of the whole deal was it started when I installed a carb. thanks for the battery termanal tip I'll go there first.

CTENG in KS

• Turtle Points: -501
  • Male Posts: 4,295
  • Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
« Reply #10 on: Jul 06, 2006, 06:54:09 PM »
Did you reconnect the ground for the carb?  Did you bump or accidentally futz with anything while pulling or installing said carb.  Is it a good carb or a bad carb...have you tested your cholesterol?
IFS is best kept at ambient temperature in a pile of scrap in the backyard.  When kept under a functioning vehicle, it tends to greatly diminish said vehicle's offroad ability.     -reklund5

4Runner: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4580.0
Beastmaster: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=34339.0

RustyToy [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jul 07, 2006, 06:35:11 AM »
Is there a ground strap for the carb?

RustyToy [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jul 08, 2006, 01:42:15 PM »
Just in case anyone was wondering, it is posible that you can get 5 alternators and 5 ic regulators that are bad from your local kregan store.    :hammer:

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jul 08, 2006, 01:59:01 PM »
doesnt surprise me. my neighbor uses that same plan....sure it's cheap and they have a lifetime warranty but is it worth the trouble of having to replace over and over again when it goes out? and more importantly, is it worth being stuck in the middle of nowhere? ive been there (nowhere) and it sucked.  :yesnod: i only trust toyota on stuff like that
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

CTENG in KS

• Turtle Points: -501
  • Male Posts: 4,295
  • Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
« Reply #14 on: Jul 08, 2006, 02:16:03 PM »
I got mine at autozone...good on the first shot.
IFS is best kept at ambient temperature in a pile of scrap in the backyard.  When kept under a functioning vehicle, it tends to greatly diminish said vehicle's offroad ability.     -reklund5

4Runner: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4580.0
Beastmaster: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=34339.0

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #15 on: Jul 08, 2006, 04:07:12 PM »
Carb ground? I guess I'll check my blinker fluid while I check for a carb ground. Are you refering to the ground strap from the firewall to the back of the engine?
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

RustyToy [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jul 08, 2006, 05:20:55 PM »
they grabbed one of the (good regulators) that they sell for lots more money and finally threw it in the cheap O box and let me out the door with it. It was either that or I fill a bunch of beer bottles with gas, with rags in them and....     :haha:

synwars

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 360
  • Male Posts: 485
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Fabbing with Maffy
    • View Profile
    • Can you feel the love?
« Reply #17 on: Jul 10, 2006, 01:41:19 PM »
My 82 has a in cab voltmeter.

I had the same electrical demons. I swapped over new alternators and IC Reg's about 3 times before I said "no more" and fabbed up some brackets for a 120 amp 1-wire Gm alternator. $100 and no hassel. Took me 1/2 day to fabb up the brackets right, had to tweak it a second time and hasn't let me down. In fact, all my lights are much brighter, and my stereo doesn't even come close to draining the battery. Plus it's blingin' chrome! :stopit:
"Don't let common sense stop you..."

Build up thread:
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=11425.0

KEEP IT CLEAN PEOPLE!!! :bat:

synwars

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Fabbing with Maffy
    • View Profile
    • Can you feel the love?
« Reply #18 on: Jul 10, 2006, 01:45:44 PM »
PS. Check easy stuff first.

MAKE SURE ALL YOUR GROUNDS HAVE METAL ON METAL CONTACTS AND ARE FREE FROM RUST AND OTHER CONTAMINATES, ARE CLEAN AND BOLTED DOWN TIGHT.

CHECK YOUR FUSES AND FUSEABLE LINKS.

:thumbs:

Build up thread:

RustyToy [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Jul 10, 2006, 07:03:55 PM »
how did you wire all the stuff for the internal reg?  Got any pics?  This is really what i wanna do. the woosie alternators arn't cuttin it anymore.

Willy Mammoth

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 4,252
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Jul 10, 2006, 07:19:33 PM »
In order for the alt to start charging it needs to have power applied to the feild windings. After that it should start charging. The regulator will adjust the voltage to the windings to keep the voltage output within limits.

Check all connections and make sure they are clean. Also look to see if there are any fusable links or fuses that are burnt out. Check the plug at the alt with a test light to see if they are being powered up. If not the alt will not charge.
:usa: American by birth, redneck by choice. 

Making Of http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=6472.0  

Sightings Of  http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=10805.0

synwars

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Fabbing with Maffy
    • View Profile
    • Can you feel the love?
« Reply #21 on: Jul 11, 2006, 07:38:04 AM »
how did you wire all the stuff for the internal reg?  Got any pics?  This is really what i wanna do. the woosie alternators arn't cuttin it anymore.

20+ year old wiring isn't nice. It eventually breaks inside especially where it is kinked.

You wire a 1-wire with one wire. After the alternator is securely in place, buy a new battery cable from your local auto parts store (Lordco up here) and bolt one end to the positive terminal on the back of the alternator, and the other to the positive post on your battery. Done.

Remember, the IC is mechanical, so your engine needs to be turning minimum 750 RPM's before an IC Alt will "switch on".

Build up thread: